Question for roof rack users.

dee74

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
I am purchasing a roof rack and cross bars for my 2012 Passat. I also want to purchase a cargo box. If you are using a roof rack and box please tell me the brand and model. I am especially interested in what size box will be good on top of the car. Thank you for any help with this.

dee74

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Sorry to keep replying to my own thread but after reading through some of the roof rack threads I wanted to post a response I recieved from Yakima in response to putting a roof rack on a Passat, I asked because I know the owner's manual does not reccommed roof racks. The response is below.

Yakima stand by all of our fit calls. We are confident in this one and if something were to happen and it was our fault we would cover it, it’s the reason we have a PI process. I have attached a copy of the Yakima Warranty that outlines Yakima's responsibilities to the customer.

If you have any additional questions, please give us a call at 888-925-4621 Monday through Friday 7am to 5pm Pacific Time.

Thank you for your inquiry.
Yakima Customer Support

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I am purchasing a roof rack and cross bars for my 2012 Passat. I also want to purchase a cargo box. If you are using a roof rack and box please tell me the brand and model. I am especially interested in what size box will be good on top of the car. Thank you for any help with this.
I have the Thule Aeroblades. Don't have a box though. Thule says max capacity for the whole roof is 110lbs. You need a small, very light box. The weight of the box factors into that 110lbs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Jav9882

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
Well if it helps any, I also have the Thule Aeroblade system and I purchased a cargo box at the Academy Sports and Outdoors. I really can't remember the name brand, but it's what they have in stock at the store (sorry). I paid $199 for it not expecting much quality from it but after inspecting the inside of the box it had a "Yakima QA Passed" sticker on it. The rack has a weight limit of 110 lbs, as mentioned before, and the box has a limit of 160 lbs. I took a 600 mile road trip and was surprised as to how quite it was. I did notice a one or two mpg drop.

dee74

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
For those of you that have the aero blades. Are they worth the extra money?

Jav9882

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
Well I never installed the other system, but I'm definitely pleased with th Aeoblades. They are a bit more expensive but in the grand scheme of thing if you choose to go with the round bars you might need to purchase the extra wind deflector to help reduce wind noise. Putting you up in the same price range of the Aeroblades.

Jav9882

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
J. TOMASELLO: sorry I took a while to respond have been pretty busy. The store is called rack Outfitters in Austin, TX. I bought it at the store locally and got a 10% discount. I'm sure if you call the owner/operator can also apply the discount to over the phone and online orders. He also offers to powder coat the racks if you like. His website is www.rackoutffiters.com

drcoopster

Veteran Member
TDI
EcoDiesel
I used a Yakima Skybox on my Jetta and it worked well, leaving enough room for a bike carrier on the side. If I were to get a roof box for my Passat, I would look for something similarly long and narrow.

I riveted some aluminum angle stock lengthwise to the inside of the box to help reduce flex a little bit and it worked well.