turbo upgrade for A3?

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
quietmission said:
Soon, i will be able to report back on the vnt swap and power in the MK3 platform. I have a mild ported rebuild head at Chill's and a vnt17vb on the way. I plan to use PP502 or 764 with an RC tune (undecided). I want to see if i can break the 150whp barrier in the mk3.
should be no problem with that turbo, if you can get the fuel in..

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Hello,

Are there any follow-ups from those who have been planning VNT conversions or those developing an inventory of modified rear engine mounts?

Thanks,

Scott

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Want one? I've got the mounts here and could have one modified in a couple of days. I may put a VNT-15 in my A3 yet. I'm just enjoying it too much with Bosch .205s and a stock tune right now. It's my retro-mobile.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Peter,

Yes, I'm interested in an engine mount. Think of it as an "if you build it, they will come" sort of thing. My lack of a modified engine mount is one of the many things keeping me from considering a VNT conversion. If I toss in a modified mount now, maybe I won't hestitate to install a VNT months down the road. ;)

Please PM me details such as price, core, etc. Perhaps I can pick it up when I visit in a couple of weeks.

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
IndigoBlueWagon said:
So be it. I'll get a couple of modified and put them on the site.
Awesome! ;-)

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
quietmission said:
Soon, i will be able to report back on the vnt swap and power in the MK3 platform. I have a mild ported rebuild head at Chill's and a vnt17vb on the way. I plan to use PP502 or 764 with an RC tune (undecided). I want to see if i can break the 150whp barrier in the mk3.
If your using a 11mm ip / lift pump / fuel cooler you shouldn't have a problem in making 150whp with the vb:)

Sorry i didn't see the other replies mentioning these mods!!

quietmission

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf TDI , 04 S500, 95 GTI TDI (Past)
I have my RC tuned ecu, ported head, peter's A3 downpipe at Mrchill's for this conversion. I have a vnt17vb ready to go in but Chris told that it would be a lot of work to fit it in my a3 golf.
I was only missing the rear modified mount and i would be glad to pick it up from you Peter if you have it available.

Last edited:

12MPGHWY

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Any update on the modified mount?

Anyone have pictures that show how the mount interferes and or what the modified mount looks like

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
usually the compressor housing inlet touches the mount, using an afn manifold places the turbo further backwards and reduces the need to modify the mount, a modified mount is with a U section cut out and then reinforced somewhere, I never did this myself, but in portugal etc many people run a 1749vb on mk3 cars..

hendomatic

Veteran Member
TDI
None At the moment
I am also very interested in the VNT swap from the KKK turbo. Just finished a successful rebuild of the AHU motor and the turbo is starting to sound like the next thing to replace. I have been thrashing the poor thing with an RC3+ tune around 21 psi and its has caused grin wrinkles, but I know I'm operating that poor stock turbo really outside its safe window.

So what is to be done to get into VNT tech on the AHU?

Thanks

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Someone ventured that this might just bolt up to the A3 manifold with a minor flange adapter.

I think the stock IP might not be enough, but mrchill suggested I put one on my Passat.

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
Converting an A3 from wastegate to vnt requires an ecu firmware upgrade to AFN110 (vnt), and rear motor mount modification, A4 downpipe, and inlet piping mods (turbo moves over a few inches to passenger side). You'll also need an A4 n75 from 99.5, and few other tweaks, like stretching oil line, and A4 oil return line from 99.5.

I have done several of these and they run very nice, with very fast spooling, and good torque. Here is a dyno of my boy's car with 10mm, pp520's and vnt1749vb (all else stock except clutch). http://ascension.globat.com/~rocketchip.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/10001/Jeffs_A3_1749_pp520_RC4_10mm.gif

Here are some pics:

modified rear mount

Side view:

Top view:

Here is the AFN110 2-piece manifold (not sold in USA) that can also be used, but requires a custom downpipe or AFN downpipe.

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
is that a AAZ manifold upside down.. should require gridning the ports in the manifold more to one side to make them line up, 2-3mm should be sufficient

hendomatic

Veteran Member
TDI
None At the moment
jsrmonster said:
Converting an A3 from wastegate to vnt requires an ecu firmware upgrade to AFN110 (vnt), and rear motor mount modification, A4 downpipe, and inlet piping mods (turbo moves over a few inches to passenger side). You'll also need an A4 n75 from 99.5, and few other tweaks, like stretching oil line, and A4 oil return line from 99.5.

I have done several of these and they run very nice, with very fast spooling, and good torque. Here is a dyno of my boy's car with 10mm, pp520's and vnt1749vb (all else stock except clutch). http://ascension.globat.com/~rocketchip.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/10001/Jeffs_A3_1749_pp520_RC4_10mm.gif

Here are some pics:

modified rear mount

Side view:

Top view:

Here is the AFN110 2-piece manifold (not sold in USA) that can also be used, but requires a custom downpipe or AFN downpipe.

Thanks Jeff for the great pics. That mod looks very interesting. Where would one go about getting things like AFN manifolds and that turbo?

I assume that firmware upgrade is available like the regular tunes or does it require an ECU swap or mod?

How about just a stock Mk4 vnt15 or something a little hotter that one could find in the US?

Sorry for newbness on this topic, but I just dont know the googlisms to track this stuff down.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
use gt1749va from audi/passat and afn manifold =) easy to source in europe..

VB is always one piece with manifold : not good

option is borg warner gt1749VC equivalent found on 16v 170hp PD in audi A4, bolts up perfectly to afn manifold..

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
the stock VNt15 or a VNT 17 will also fit with the same modifcations as shown in the first few pics. I did this on my dzsl slc with an 1852 turbo...boy was it fun before I sold her.

hendomatic

Veteran Member
TDI
None At the moment
G60ING said:
the stock VNt15 or a VNT 17 will also fit with the same modifcations as shown in the first few pics. I did this on my dzsl slc with an 1852 turbo...boy was it fun before I sold her.
But is that what they call the VB or one piece mannie? I couldnt figure out what VB stood for....

I think at this time, that would also be a good option to consider.

I dont have an EMP sensor hooked up but I can sense that the max flow thru the stock KKK turbo hot side is probably what is holding things back. Its interesting to watch the boost stay around 20 and when the RPMs hit around 3500, the exhaust starts to get more smoky and that feeling of butt-dyno satisfaction starts to fade. I can imagine the back pressure simply building to the point where its affecting the ability of the engine to get rid of the exhaust.

Of course, I could be missing the boat. I do have the timing set to match what the RC3+ tune is calling for at that rpm and load.

Thanks