2003 Golf Alternator Pulley R&R

shmcquilkin

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 E63S estate, 1995.5 S6 avant, 1987 Vanagon Syncro GL, 1971 Westfalia
Looky here, at what I rec'd from Impex. I didn't order a pulley on the alternator, but one cameinstalled anyways :). A NON-clutch-type pulley/120Amp alternator combo! Been on it for a few hundred miles with a new Goodyear Gatorback belt and it's been performing perfectly. I had to space the idler puller out with a small washer for the belt to be perfectly aligned on the idler as the new alternator pulley is a few milimeters extended from the alternator than the clutch-type one was. No biggie. I even called Impex to make sure that this was safely usable and they said yes, and they ate the cost as I had ordered one sans pulley... again and again, GREAT support and customer service!
No idea what the # on the pulley is as I just made sure that the central nut was tight (a PIA!) so could not place a stamped OEM#, sorry.
So now, though... no more pulley failures!!
:D:D:D

Last edited:

turkeyssr

TDI
none; as of 12/09/06
Which idler pulley?

shmcquilkin:

<<I had to space the idler puller out with a small washer for the belt to be perfectly aligned on the idler as the new alternator pulley is a few milimeters extended from the alternator than the clutch-type one was.>>

Do you have any pictures by chance, of where you put the washer and what it looks like now that it's installed?

Thanks!

shmcquilkin

Veteran Member
TDI
Pulley #5 in this thread's first post. It's just a basic pulley with no other function than to control the path from the alternator (#3) to the power steering pump (#4).

Tough to get a pic, but lemme give it a shot asap.

Thanks and take care
:)

gebbeth

TDI
99.5 jetta
Trouble with alternator tool

Alright, this might sound like an incredibly stupid question, but which way are you supposed to turn this thing? I purchased the alternator drivers from metelnerd but the pieces are locked solid, I can not turn it in either direction.

turbosc20

TDI
GOLF, 2003, Indigo Blue
Wow, very interesting about this pulley issue!

My friend's 03 tdi Golf makes this strange clicking noise (like a baseball card to a bicycle tire sound) and his battery light comes on for a second when he starts it up and sometimes when he drives. The car also bogs down when this happens. He was able to produce the problem to me when he came over one day and I noticed that the belt tensioner moves to compensate the slack .. I guess.

Of course the evil stealership (Antwerpen of Glen Burnie) couldn't produce the problem and sold him on a redicilous glow plug replacement (i won't say the amount).

Do you guys think the pulley is slipping in this case?

shmcquilkin

Veteran Member
TDI
... or, try turning on the A/C and blasting the fan on high to observe if the symptoms change at all. If so (as the A/C is driven by the same belt), then I'd be *highly* suspicious of the alternator pulley.

Pix here somewhere...

sobriez

thanks to this thread I saved myself from impending doom. My alternator pulley went bad over the weekend. I opted to change to entire alternator because with 192k, I didn't want to risk an alternator failure in 6 month time...

SilverD

TDI
Silver 2002 Golf
I have followed this thread for awhile, happy that my pulley hadn't given trouble. I just replaced my bad timing belt tensioner, and remembered to take a look at the alternator while I had the serpentine belt off. Imagine my surprise when the pulley seemed to be a normal one without any clutch action - in other words I can turn it clockwise or counterclockwise and see the armature in the alternator turn the same direction. The pulley has no discerable slop in either direction.

Is it possible that some A4 TDIs don't have this funky clutched pulley? My car is an '02, bought new, and I've never messed with the alternator so it has to be original.

Ephry

TDI
2003 GLS Golf TDI
Thanks for posting all of this. The Pulley actually came off in my car last night. I am running her at 80,997 miles. The whole alternator belt got snagged and I found a small pulley on the bottom. I took it to the dealer this morning, and they will let me know their "findings" I already know the pulley came off and that is what damaged the belt, but it is good to know it is not an isolated problem.

E

Petrofied

TDI
2002 Jetta
A few updates if anybody is still following this thread. I have an 02 Jetta that just had the pulley fall off at 69k mi.

First - There is a new part # on the pulley 022 903 119 C. I don't know if that means that VW fixed some problem with the original 'A' type pulley or not.

Also - I was able to find a local alternator shop that swapped pulleys for me in about 5 minutes for $5. Just another option if you don't want to wait for shipping on the tools ... or are just a little lazy like me.

And finally, a huge thank you to Paramedick and Wingnut for all of the info they've posted on this issue.

Petrofied

TDI
2002 Jetta
SilverD said:
Imagine my surprise when the pulley seemed to be a normal one without any clutch action - in other words I can turn it clockwise or counterclockwise and see the armature in the alternator turn the same direction. The pulley has no discerable slop in either direction.

Is it possible that some A4 TDIs don't have this funky clutched pulley?
The new pulley I just put on had a very tight clutch. If I turned it by hand, the alternator would turn with it in either direction. I had to actually stick something in the alternator "blades" to stop them to see that the pulley would indeed freewheel in one direction.

Maybe yours just maintained its original tightness, which I imagine is a good thing.

jollyGreenGiant

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI GLS ( my 5th TDI ), 03 Eurovan GLS - VR6 :(
From what I've read, the freewheel prevents voltage spiking from decreasing the life of the alternator in the TDI environment. So, if you want to replace the freewheel pulley with a non freewheel pulley, the alternator might not last as long but you won't have a pulley disintegrate either, your call... My 96 B4 doesn't have a freewheel and the alternator has 211K on it!

moonlite

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
[FONT=&quot]Is it possible to change an intact, noisy alternator pulley while the alternator is still in the car? I have an 03 Golf. [/FONT]

shmcquilkin

Veteran Member
TDI
If you're sure that it's the alt pulley, and not the tensioner or even small idler pulley... then, no. That mo-fo is highly torqued on to the alt shaft and the proper tools (see metalnerd) will not fit, hence removal. It's not really too difficult. Just please read over the procuedures, *especially* how to re-set the AC and Alt bushings so that they install much more easily than not!

Mine, also a '03, was so tight that I stripped the retaining bolt. Had to purchase a new alternator... BUT, the newer replacements have a clutchless type pulley, so are care free with regards to the aformentioned pulley explosions.

Good luck

keggo

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Great write up... is everyone buying their pulleys from the dealership? I just had my pulley rocket off and got a quote from my local stealership at $92 and they have to special order it... 92 bucks sounds like a rip off... anyone know where I can get a non clutch type pulley?

moonlite

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
keggo... from what I read about this pulley, I'd stick with the stock setup.
I think some one mentioned that if you use a solid pulley you have to correct for offset.

I lucked out. My local dealer had the pulley for 48$:D and they got it the next day.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE

keggo

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Cool, thanks for the responses... I did find them at 1stvwparts.com for 43 bucks + shipping... as long as I'm not paying a total of 92 bucks.. .hahahah. The vw dealership here is horrible... They wanted 150 bucks for the alternator to battery cable... The 4gauge wire was burnt from the last owner (possibly if and when the old alt was changed)... anyway, I took small harness out, gutted it, replaced the big wire with new 4gauge, put some split loom now everything is back to normal... for that. I only spent like 10 bucks on wire. I guess I will stick with the stock pulley. I'm going to replace everything the coincides with the serpentine though... i.e. tensioner, belt (of course... nice gash in the side), alt pulley, vibration damper... I'll also see how the other roller guides are doing...

Here's a list I've compiled so far... (site of purchase is subject to change... to wherever has the cheapest oem or oem quality part(s))

P/N ...................................Part .....................Price ..............................Website

022 903 119 C .............Alt. Pulley....................$43 + Shipping...........1stvwparts.com

028 105 243 T .............Harmonic Balancer........$61...........................autohausaz.com

..................................Serpentine Belt..............$21 + Shipping...........ecstuning.com

MN3400SET ................Pulley Tool...................$33 + Shipping ..........metalnerd.com

038 903 315 C ..........Serp Tensioner................$80 + Shipping.............tdiparts.com

Total:..............................................................$238 before shipping or applicable taxes; if any at all

Better than taking it to the dealership..

As a miscellaneous note of how the dealerships rip people off... I can't believe for the 80k mile service they want 500 bucks...

Last edited:

keggo

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
moonlite said:
keggo... from what I read about this pulley, I'd stick with the stock setup.
I think some one mentioned that if you use a solid pulley you have to correct for offset.

I lucked out. My local dealer had the pulley for 48$:D and they got it the next day.

Thanks for the info... I may hit you up since you're able to get it fairly cheap... depending on what 1stvwparts charges for shipping, I may ask a favor of you... hahahah

I read that too about the offset. I wouldn't mind shimming the other pulleys or whatever. I just like the comment of the guy with the passat that has 211k on his non clutch type pulley/alternator. Though he did comment on how non clutch types shorten the life of the alternator... if mine makes it to 211k, I'll be more than happy to replace it at that point.

jollyGreenGiant

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI GLS ( my 5th TDI ), 03 Eurovan GLS - VR6 :(
I just like the comment of the guy with the passat that has 211k on his non clutch type pulley/alternator. Though he did comment on how non clutch types shorten the life of the alternator... if mine makes it to 211k, I'll be more than happy to replace it at that point.
B4 Passat's never had freewheeling alternators.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
1stvwparts is actually a real VW dealer. They just have an internet sales dept. that sells for wholesale. I live on the east cost. They are in Washinton State, I think. I bought VW G052 gear lube from them and with shipping accross the US, it was about 30% cheaper than my local dealer!

I also bought my Phatbox from them for about $140 when you could still get them!

--Nate

keggo

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
moonlite said:
Why this? This part should out last the engine.
Apparently the old one is made somewhat different. I just want to rid the possibility of anything happening and I absolutely don't want any chirping...

keggo

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
I have everything except the tensioner and the idler roller now... Anyway, here's a comparison of the two alternator pulleys. See if you can guess which one is the old one that flew off... hahahaha

OLD vs. NEW

HotRod

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
My car has chirping coming from the alternator pulley. It also had a noisy serpentine tensioner.

Two weeks ago I removed the tensioner, the cooling fan and the AC compressor. I removed the alternator bolts, but I could not get the alternator to budge. I used a pry bar, but it wasn't happening. Any tips on how to get it out?

keggo

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
It was a pain to get off... It took forever and a lot of elbow grease. I did spray a little bit of wd40 where it mounts in hopes that it would get in there and lubricate it a little bit... I let it sit overnight then I went back out and just kept pulling and pulling... finally it came off and I sanded down the contacting points just a little bit.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
HotRod said:
I removed the alternator bolts, but I could not get the alternator to budge. I used a pry bar, but it wasn't happening. Any tips on how to get it out?
Pry bars are a wonderful thing. You have to pry at multiple points a little bit at a time. It will come out, albeit slowly.