MN Chat Thread

Minnesota Mike

TDI
2002 Jetta 263,000.
I went ahead and got the replacement Bilsteins for my 02 Jetta and need to install them. Any special tools other than a spring compressor? I've heard a light overspray of a different color on the bolts before they're removed will get the alignment back where it should be, or will I have to have it aligned after? Any tips appreciated.

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
The light overspray on the bolts refers to when you are disturbing/removing the ball joint. If you're just doing strut/shock replacement there is nothing to paint.

Make sure you get all your replacement hardware as well:
2x Strut Mounts
2x Strut Bearings
2x Top Strut Nut
2x Strut Stretch Bolt/Pinch Nut

2x Shock Mounts
4x Shock Mount Bolts
2x Lower Shock Stretch Bolt/Pinch Nut

Start with the drivers side front, doing the easy side first will allow you to see what needs to happen when doing the pass side. Disconnect the swaybar to let the LCA drop far enough to get the strut out. On the pass. side, loosen (dont remove) the two subframe bolts on that side and lower the subframe to get the strut out. The rears are super easy. Put some blue loctite on the threads of the shock rod when you put the mounts on.

As far as tools, you'll also need a Metalnerd strut spreader bit and their strut nut tool. Certain deep offset wrenches may also work (but you'll have to gauge the torque you're putting on them), you just need to be able to counterhold the strut shaft with an allen wrench while you torque the upper nut. Metalnerds tool allows you to use a torque wrench as long as you use it right.

An alignment afterwards is recommended...but it doesn't have to happen immediately. I did my suspension (struts, shocks, VR6 springs and 2" lift) last fall and still have not got it aligned yet. Car tracks fine and tire wear isn't any worse than before. I need to get my tie rods replaced before it can be aligned.

vwbmw

TDI
2002 Golf GL 5spd blk
advice on first-time DIY rear pads replacement?

My RR wheel brake is dragging. I now see the rear brake pads worn down to 1-2mm at 83k miles on A4 Golf. So I'll need to try the job myself asap, once I learn which brand of pads to buy (from Impex? TDIparts? dealer? or any local parts store?). Since I'm short on funds and long on time, I intend to use the old rotors, and if that doesn't work out, replace the rear rotors later. I realize I shouldn't begin to try this without the Metalnerd piston compressor/rotater tool (or the Harbor Freight equivalent?), but would like to hear from someone near St.Paul who's done this job and is familiar with which piston reset tools work OK, or not. [I have searched/read forum threads on brakes-how-to's]

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
You can do what you want with your car but I'd recommend just getting a rear brake kit from one of the online vendors - includes pads and rotors. Any windback tool should work. Remove the stainless anti-rattle clips and clean up the carriers with a file before you throw in your new pads.

scarletvw

TDI
2005.5 TDI Jetta
Hey there, I'm new to the site live in forest lake and just bought a 2005.5 TDI Jetta on the first of this month after I did this to my previous car, A 2002 Jetta 1.8t

And of course my new car

I've already done a partial debaged, muflerectomy, new GLI rims, and shortened shifter. And have a badgeless front grill and clear fender markers in the mail. She has 83k on the clock and runs great.

I just sorta wanted to say Hi and see if there is anyone around that does intake cleaning for now and look into options for timing belt replacement, I haven't a clue where to start for that and I've even tried reading all about it but it seems a little more then I may be able to chew, If there is someone please let me know, I saw a couple names flying around but didn't know if they did that sorta things.

Otherwise Cheers all

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
vwbmw said:
My RR wheel brake is dragging. I now see the rear brake pads worn down to 1-2mm at 83k miles on A4 Golf. So I'll need to try the job myself asap, once I learn which brand of pads to buy (from Impex? TDIparts? dealer? or any local parts store?). Since I'm short on funds and long on time, I intend to use the old rotors, and if that doesn't work out, replace the rear rotors later. I realize I shouldn't begin to try this without the Metalnerd piston compressor/rotater tool (or the Harbor Freight equivalent?), but would like to hear from someone near St.Paul who's done this job and is familiar with which piston reset tools work OK, or not. [I have searched/read forum threads on brakes-how-to's]
Like Nick said, it's your car, but I would definitely reconsider replacing the rotors. They are likely too thin to machine, and they are not that expensive to replace.

Here is probably one of the better deals around:
http://www.metalmanparts.com/product.sc?categoryId=39&productId=17

I think any of the loaner windback tools available at O'Reilly or Autozone will work fine. Just take care to use the correct adapter.

Make sure your parking brake cables aren't compromised/rusted which could potentially be causing your dragging.

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
scarletvw said:
Hey there, I'm new to the site live in forest lake and just bought a 2005.5 TDI Jetta on the first of this month after I did this to my previous car, A 2002 Jetta 1.8t

I've already done a partial debaged, muflerectomy, new GLI rims, and shortened shifter. And have a badgeless front grill and clear fender markers in the mail. She has 83k on the clock and runs great.

I just sorta wanted to say Hi and see if there is anyone around that does intake cleaning for now and look into options for timing belt replacement, I haven't a clue where to start for that and I've even tried reading all about it but it seems a little more then I may be able to chew, If there is someone please let me know, I saw a couple names flying around but didn't know if they did that sorta things.

Otherwise Cheers all
Glad to see you made it out of that okay...looks like it was a wild ride. New car looks very nice. Intake cleaning may not be necessary, as a 2005.5 is likely to not have seen very much LSD in it's life. Doesn't hurt to check though.

I would recommend contacting greengeeker for TB replacement and to give your car a good look-over. I'm not sure if he has done a BRM TB or not, but I would ask him about it. User "deafbug" does TB's, but I know he has stated in the past that he does not do BRM engines. merkerguitars is also in the western WI area and does TDI work.

Good luck, enjoy...and make sure you always use 505.01 spec oil. Hopefully the previous owner did as well.

scarletvw

TDI
2005.5 TDI Jetta
TDICADDGUY said:
Glad to see you made it out of that okay...looks like it was a wild ride. New car looks very nice. Intake cleaning may not be necessary, as a 2005.5 is likely to not have seen very much LSD in it's life. Doesn't hurt to check though.

I would recommend contacting greengeeker for TB replacement and to give your car a good look-over. I'm not sure if he has done a BRM TB or not, but I would ask him about it. User "deafbug" does TB's, but I know he has stated in the past that he does not do BRM engines. merkerguitars is also in the western WI area and does TDI work.

Good luck, enjoy...and make sure you always use 505.01 spec oil. Hopefully the previous owner did as well.
Yeah it was quite the experience rolling a car and I don't want to do it again, I loved that car.

And I'll have to talk to them and see what they say about the TB

Also I've been reading about the oil a lot and trying to find where to purchase mine for my next oil change, I really do hope that the last owner used the right oil, but i really don't know. I should just send them a letter and ask lol, but that may be a little creepy

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
what's the story behind the crash? Looks like 35E just south of the split.

What makes you think you need your intake cleaned? Low on power? (it will seem like it compared to your last car)

Hey look Jeff...side exit exhaust. Maybe you could rob parts off of it.

scarletvw

TDI
2005.5 TDI Jetta
greengeeker said:
what's the story behind the crash? Looks like 35E just south of the split.

What makes you think you need your intake cleaned? Low on power? (it will seem like it compared to your last car)

Hey look Jeff...side exit exhaust. Maybe you could rob parts off of it.
Um story, yeah, its just that... I don't really want to talk about it, I wasn't drunk, I wasn't on drugs, i didn't hit anyone, i didn't mean to do it, and it was actually 35W JUST south of the split ;)

And why do I think it does? I donno? just sorta figured 80K miles, must have some junk, I have no idea, its my first diesel and I want it to runs its best.

And yes, side exit, I loved it, and I know the car isn't a speed daemon, if i want speed i'll drive my wifes New Beetle Turbo S, same 180 HP engine as that jetta that was crashed but with a 6 speed :cool:

Kriesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
TDICADDGUY said:
Intake cleaning may not be necessary, as a 2005.5 is likely to not have seen very much LSD in it's life. Doesn't hurt to check though.
So what would cause the intake to be clogged? The LSD did that back in the day or something? I had heard of a couple diesel cars getting clogged like that, but never heard why... just curious is all

vwbmw

TDI
2002 Golf GL 5spd blk
TDICADDGUY said:
Like Nick said, it's your car, but I would definitely reconsider replacing the rotors. They are likely too thin to machine, and they are not that expensive to replace.

Here is probably one of the better deals around:
http://www.metalmanparts.com/product.sc?categoryId=39&productId=17

I think any of the loaner windback tools available at O'Reilly or Autozone will work fine. Just take care to use the correct adapter.

Make sure your parking brake cables aren't compromised/rusted which could potentially be causing your dragging.
Thanks for metalmanparts link etc. ...I didn't see that 'kit' item on their site pages. I suppose an 'advantage' of ordering from them is there's no 'brand' decision to be made ..since they send only what's in stock at the time (I called them: today's kit is Mintex pads w/4 bolts; if they have Pagid pads in stock I'd get no bolts ..and said "it's OK to reuse the old ones anyway".) Really?

Whereas ordering from TDIparts, Germanautoparts, WorldImpex etc one gets to pick brands (assuming one has a clue about any differnces in actual useage; I don't). If the incremental price differentials at TDIparts brake kit drop-down menu means anything, Mintex is just the cheapest option, with Pagid/Jurid +$5, and ATE/Textar/TRW at +$13. Some A4 Maintainence Forum posts suggest TRW=VW's dealer stock (quite good pads).

Regarding a local 'loaner' piston wind-back tool, I called Autozone (yes: $55 charge/deposit), and O'Reilly (no: but they sell? some sort of tool).

My thought about reusing my 83k rear rotors as-is (no 'turning') is that I'd learn if new-pads-only worked OK with them, and if not (noise?), I'd have educated myself that I could have avoided disassembling it all to add new rotors a week or month later. Or would pad break-in miles using the old rotors somehow make the new pads unusable with new rotors?

If my RR wheel drag is caused by a parking brake cable sticking, I assume that is a separate issue from the priority to replace worn out brake pads ...that I can do the pads first, and if there's still heavy RR drag (wheel off ground) I deal with that cable later.

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB
Summer is here and as usual, I am available to service your TDI's. Of course, limited service. Heck, I have far more free time now since I got laid off last year... until I complete school and find a job. All I ask is to be considerate of my bad back. Same skills/services I have done in the past. I ain't learning new stuff.

thekid

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 180k, 2006 Golf TDI 64k
Deafbug

Glad to see that you are available for some light service. Send me an e-mail and we can discuss a few minor things I would like to get done. wadeley@gmail.com

tango_28

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 JSW(sold 2011) , 2009 JSW RIP 1-5-2013, 2011 JSW
vwbmw said:
Thanks for metalmanparts link etc. ...I didn't see that 'kit' item on their site pages. I suppose an 'advantage' of ordering from them is there's no 'brand' decision to be made ..since they send only what's in stock at the time (I called them: today's kit is Mintex pads w/4 bolts; if they have Pagid pads in stock I'd get no bolts ..and said "it's OK to reuse the old ones anyway".) Really?

Whereas ordering from TDIparts, Germanautoparts, WorldImpex etc one gets to pick brands (assuming one has a clue about any differnces in actual useage; I don't). If the incremental price differentials at TDIparts brake kit drop-down menu means anything, Mintex is just the cheapest option, with Pagid/Jurid +$5, and ATE/Textar/TRW at +$13. Some A4 Maintainence Forum posts suggest TRW=VW's dealer stock (quite good pads).

Regarding a local 'loaner' piston wind-back tool, I called Autozone (yes: $55 charge/deposit), and O'Reilly (no: but they sell? some sort of tool).

My thought about reusing my 83k rear rotors as-is (no 'turning') is that I'd learn if new-pads-only worked OK with them, and if not (noise?), I'd have educated myself that I could have avoided disassembling it all to add new rotors a week or month later. Or would pad break-in miles using the old rotors somehow make the new pads unusable with new rotors?

If my RR wheel drag is caused by a parking brake cable sticking, I assume that is a separate issue from the priority to replace worn out brake pads ...that I can do the pads first, and if there's still heavy RR drag (wheel off ground) I deal with that cable later.

I have a metalnerd VW rear reset tool.

MPLSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
Welcome scarletvw

I also live in Forest Lake, I'll have to keep an eye out for you.

greengeeker is a great guy and not that far away, (he works out of a shop in North Branch)

I had been using WorldIMpex.com to order my oil and filters. While not an approved (505.01) oil I'm going to use Mobil 1 Turbo diesel truck (cj-4) on my next change.(tons of reading here on it) It's at Fleetfarm and Checker in Forest Lake, Checker also has the oil filter. I have still been ordering fuel filters online (every 20K)

Keep an eye out in this thread for get togethers (GTG)

By the way which tranny do you have ? DSG or manual?
(DSG needs service every 40K)

scarletvw

TDI
2005.5 TDI Jetta
MPLSTDI said:
Welcome scarletvw
I also live in Forest Lake, I'll have to keep an eye out for you.
greengeeker is a great guy and not that far away, (he works out of a shop in North Branch)
I had been using WorldIMpex.com to order my oil and filters. While not an approved (505.01) oil I'm going to use Mobil 1 Turbo diesel truck (cj-4) on my next change.(tons of reading here on it) It's at Fleetfarm and Checker in Forest Lake, Checker also has the oil filter. I have still been ordering fuel filters online (every 20K)
Keep an eye out in this thread for get togethers (GTG)
By the way which tranny do you have ? DSG or manual?
(DSG needs service every 40K)
I'll have to read up about the oil.

And I have the 5 spd manual, I'm absolutly loving my milage, my last half tank wasn't so good causes I was driving her pretty hard, but even then its twice the milage I got with the 1.8t

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
Hee, On last tank about 80% city driving got 32mpg on my tdi, most of mileage went thru tailpipe as black cloud of smoke.:eek: With RC3 its hard to keep my right foot of WOT paddle.:D

MPLSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
My last tank was 49.8 and 733.6 miles. This tank isn't going to be so good, somehow when I switched my fuel filter yesterday I forgot the green gasket. Must have lost like 1/4 gallon of diesel :-| won't make that mistake again.
Problem was, I changed the oil in the Prius, John Deere and Jetta, rotated the tires and changed the fuel filter. And still mowed the lawn (trying to do too much quickly)

BTW it's healthy to blow out the exhaust once in a while.

vidpoboy

TDI
2002 black Golf GLS
Past Time for a Timing Belt change!

Hey Folks,

Haven't posted in a while, but the time has come and gone for me to get the belt thing done on my 02, golf. Would anybody be able to do it this week?

I'm also wondering if any of the local gurus accept Credit cards for their work?

I've got to go on a long drive this weekend and would love to get this done by Thursday if at all possible.

PM me,

Thanks

Bryan

02tdivw

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf Tdi
I don't think any guru here in Mn accept CC card, cash the best for saving money when fixing your car...

vidpoboy

TDI
2002 black Golf GLS
99, I agree about cash is king, but right know I only have credit. I'm trying to get this done so I can drive out west for a couple of jobs to make some cash.:D

Bryan

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
vidpoboy said:
99, I agree about cash is king, but right know I only have credit. I'm trying to get this done so I can drive out west for a couple of jobs to make some cash.:D

Bryan
Got Paypal? You can pay via credit card through Paypal...probably have to tack on an extra 3-4% for the Paypal fees.

Shoot these guys a PM and see what they say:
greengeeker: http://forums.tdiclub.com/member.php?u=41071
merkerguitars: http://forums.tdiclub.com/member.php?u=21605
Deafbug: http://forums.tdiclub.com/member.php?u=2872

Farmboy

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf SE TDI 6spd 109k miles; '00 A4 NB 5spd 216k; '96 B4 Passat Sedan 220k
Need local source for barrel

Curious if anyone can point me in the direction of a free used plastic 55 gallon drum/barrel that had food grade contents . . . located in Bloomington, MN would be ideal . . . please PM or email . . . Thanks In Advance . . .

Kriesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
You really should plan your repairs a little more in advance to going on a long trip... just a thought...

scarletvw

TDI
2005.5 TDI Jetta
vidpoboy said:

Bryan
pull out some cash at an ATM from the card...