40k service

dbias

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE w sunroof buyback 3/18/17
Did the 40k today total cost $3.89. Had to buy the fillpro funnel from wally world. All fluids and filters for three oil changes and the dsg stuff came off the $500 dealer card.
Did the top fill on the dsg... 4.5 came out and put 4.6 back in.
It took 3.5 gallons of adblue.
My 2015 doesn't have the plastic battery box but instead has the felt cover and I think it made things a bit easier. One bolt and a snap grommet holding the air intake and three bolts holding the battery tray and that was it.
All previous threads I read about the top fill spoke of the fluid being red. mine was almost light tan coming out and I wondered what was going on, but when I began refilling, the dsg fluid was light tan too so I guess they've changed it.
got everything done, put the battery cables on and started it up to the usual dash full of warning lights, some of them blinking madly but the went out in about a half mile.
got home and trunk wouldn't open so I thought well crap, came in to the computer and searched here and first thing someone mentions is the valet button in the glove box. Went out and checked and sure enough the valet button was lit. I'm pretty sure I didn't hit it so maybe the battery disconnect tripped it? idk. but overall pretty easy.
PS. Had to put the felt cover back on the battery before reinstalling it because the battery hold down bolt/bracket has some kind of electronic box attached to it and slipping the cover back over the battery and down in btwn that box on the bracket was a no go. After three attempts I surrendered and took the battery back out, put the cover on it and wala.

Last edited:

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
My DSG fluid that drained out when I did the 40K was the same color as yours. Way to go with the top fill, another joins the club.....

dbias

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE w sunroof buyback 3/18/17
My DSG fluid that drained out when I did the 40K was the same color as yours. Way to go with the top fill, another joins the club.....
I had plenty of light and the rachet with the 14 mm hex in my hand and thought oh crap did i take the right plug out lol. Just expected it to be cherry red and this tan colored oil flowed out. I was second guessing myself, and wondered if it was burnt up until I opened up a new bottle and saw it was the same color. Another thing is so many had reported how slow it took to pour the 4.6 ltr back in but I thought it went pretty fast. Fluid was way thinner that what I expected.
As for top fill in couldn't imagine doing it the other way. Way more steps and wasted oil. I put the .4ltr in my garage out of habit but I know in 15 months when I do the 80k I won't use it.

banshee365

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
I'm not sure who would say the fluid was red. I've done quite a few DSG fluid changes and the fluid coming out has alway's been the light brownish. The fluid is more gear oil than an ATF.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I had plenty of light and the rachet with the 14 mm hex in my hand and thought oh crap did i take the right plug out lol. Just expected it to be cherry red and this tan colored oil flowed out. I was second guessing myself, and wondered if it was burnt up until I opened up a new bottle and saw it was the same color. Another thing is so many had reported how slow it took to pour the 4.6 ltr back in but I thought it went pretty fast. Fluid was way thinner that what I expected.
As for top fill in couldn't imagine doing it the other way. Way more steps and wasted oil. I put the .3 ltr in my garage out of habit but I know in 15 months when I do the 80k I won't use it.
Yes, I, too found that the new oil went in much faster than I had been led to believe by some other posters. Of course, I warmed up the oil bottles in hot tap water in the kitchen sink before I poured it in, which helped.
It's supposed to be a 75 wt. gear oil (with additives, of course), but I also thought it was pretty thin. I just used the VW DSG oil that I got from the local dealer on my "free" VISA card.
I take your point about the leftover oil. I ended up putting in 4.7 liters, but I know I'll just discard the leftovers sitting out in the garage.
Also, here's a link to my DSG service thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=457823

Last edited: