Rear ended!

Schumi

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Last night an idiot driving an old Hyundai rear-ended me pretty hard. I was probably going 60 and he, while "looking down at his coffee", hit me at probably 70 or more. His airbag deployed and clearly totalled his car. Aside from the rear bumper needing re-painted, and some interior structures replaced, I can't see any other damage. I am very impressed with the structural integrity of this car and feel much safer in it for having had this accident. Any suggestions for what to insist be done to my car would be appreciated.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
.... Any suggestions for what to insist be done to my car would be appreciated.

Maybe a tune up? Or check for dragging brakes? Dang, 60 is SLOW. Usually it is the Priuses that get rear ended like that. ;) (sarcasm!)

Glad you're OK though. I'd just let the body shop do their magic. It may be worse than it looks, since often the plastic bumper covers hide much of the damage underneath. Hopefully it is just limited to the bolt-on parts, and not the unibody itself.

I'd also want to scan the whole car just to make sure nothing freaked out in one of the modules.

There was probably more than 10 MPH difference if airbags were deployed in his car, however sometimes the SRS is more sensitive at higher road speeds.

Schumi

TDI
There was probably more than 10 MPH difference if airbags were deployed in his car, however sometimes the SRS is more sensitive at higher road speeds.
You're probably right about that now that I think about it. Traffic slowed ahead of me and I slowed down - perhaps to less than 60. He never even put on his brakes.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yeah, that sucks. A lot of idiot drivers out there. Amazes me how many people tailgate, too. :rolleyes:

Whereabouts in MO do you live?

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
Damn - It was Hyundai that hit me too! Much lower speeds and a glancing hit (he swerved to the shoulder to try to avoid me),

Research Inherent Diminished Value and file a claim once the car is repaired. My mother's Tiguan had $1400 in damage from a rear-ender at a stop light. Got her $3400. Still fighting with USAA on my Passat since they didn't report it to carfax.

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
look under the car at your trunk floor where the spare tire goes. Got rear ended in mine. looked fine on the outside but turns out the whole trunk was pushed over and up and the trunk floor pan was crushed. havent had my car since Nov 1. They cut out the entire floor abd welded in a new one.

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
Tailgate???

Yeah, that sucks. A lot of idiot drivers out there. Amazes me how many people tailgate, too. :rolleyes:

Whereabouts in MO do you live?
I feel pretty comfortable in saying you have not seen moronic tailgating until you have driven in California. That being said, the only behavior I see in California worse than the constant (and I mean constant) tailgating is the stupidity of allowing motorcycles to travel between lanes and between parallel traffic in two lanes. I'm surprised the Insurance lobby doesn't push for stronger tailgating laws in Ca. and why they allow motorcyclist to place themselves in unnecessary danger is a real head scratcher for me.

Schumi

TDI
look under the car at your trunk floor where the spare tire goes. Got rear ended in mine. looked fine on the outside but turns out the whole trunk was pushed over and up and the trunk floor pan was crushed. havent had my car since Nov 1. They cut out the entire floor abd welded in a new one.
That is much worse on the outside than mine. I just checked the trunk/spare tire well and saw no damage there. Hopefully it will be a quick bumper swap. Does anyone know if those can come pre-painted from the factory?

Mr. Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I don't know for sure, but I can tell you that when I had my front bumper cover replaced, it had to be painted by the shop. It was an OEM part.

50pascals

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 A6 3.0 TDI Prestige, prior was a 2013 TDI Passat SEL Plus
You can also check the gap at the back edge of the rear door - visually, or run your finger down it. Also look for ripples in the roof.

But if your trunk floor is OK, and the trunk lid still closes it may be minor.

Your relative speed was apparently 10 mph - not a particularly large amount of energy.

Ton

Veteran Member
TDI
early 2001 jetta
I would be more worried about personal injury than the car. Make sure you aren't suffering from whiplash. Personal experience.

Dodoma

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta White
When your car is rear-ended always check whether the trunk floor and tire well has crumpled, and doors open and close the way they did before rear-end. Do not bank on the body shop to find this out. You should check your self first. If it is crumpled, my advice is to have the insurance company keep the car and pay you the compensation. It is not worth to have floor cut and welded, a classic way of fixing this problem. You will end up with squeaks and alignment issues forever.

Schumi

TDI
Your relative speed was apparently 10 mph - not a particularly large amount of energy.
That's just a guess as I didn't see him coming. It hit pretty damn hard.

When your car is rear-ended always check whether the trunk floor and tire well has crumpled, and doors open and close the way they did before rear-end. Do not bank on the body shop to find this out. You should check your self first. If it is crumpled, my advice is to have the insurance company keep the car and pay you the compensation. It is not worth to have floor cut and welded, a classic way of fixing this problem. You will end up with squeaks and alignment issues forever.
I'll check them all tomorrow. But I won't be doing the cutting the trunk thing no matter what.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
Maybe a tune up? Or check for dragging brakes? Dang, 60 is SLOW. Usually it is the Priuses that get rear ended like that. ;) (sarcasm!) QUOTE]

I wish we had 60mph speed limits, in my parts its still 55mph on divided highways. 60mph will net you a huge ticket for speeding in a safety corridor. wife and I both have 2 tickets each for going 65 in this very stretch of highway... We Hate Oregons slow speed limtis, its a Joke. We actually live next to a senator, he said they keep it at 55mph as Oregon has a huge % of population who drive ripped out of there mind on pot and they just cannot mentally handle anything faster and the constant rain

Last edited:

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
Like oilhammer said damage can be worse than it appears. impact absorbers underneath the bumper cover may need to be replaced. Thankfully you seem to be ok which is good.

Schumi

TDI
Like oilhammer said damage can be worse than it appears. impact absorbers underneath the bumper cover may need to be replaced. Thankfully you seem to be ok which is good.
I am fine and very impressed with how structurally sound and solid the car seems to be. I drive 45k miles/year so having that in the back of your mind is a good thing.

Schumi

TDI
I got an initial estimate from a very respected body shop in KC. The total was only $1,500. Nothing much hurt fortunately. Thanks for the help.

Schumi

TDI
Dropped the car off yesterday and was given a Ford Fusion as a loaner. Let me just say that the Passat is the better car - by far. Size, power, comfort, visibility, road noise are all better in the Passat. They may be considered in the same "class" but that's where the similarity ends.

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
VW hat meinen '14 Passat TDiSE getötet.
Actually, the Passat is at the same class as the new Taurus. The only thing bigger in the new Taurus is the size of the std wheel rims, 19".