fuel pressure

TDI
BEW
As my name implies I'm doing a diesel conversion to my '99 Frontier, which of course has an in tank electric fuel pump. My concern is the pressure created by said pump is about 58 psi. Do I need to install a fuel pressure regulator w/return? I know a stock tdi fuel pump puts out 10 psi. Will the much higher pressure damage the injection pump? Any help from someone who's done a conversion before would be greatly appreciated!

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
What engine, AHU, ALH, BEW?
As for the AHU and the ALH, both of them dont run fuel pumps, they draw a suction from the tank and a check valve, you will have MAJOR issues, MASSIVE LEAKS from the IP if you run that sort of pressure and you probably will damage the QA.
Best thing you can do is pull the fuel tank, remove the pump and put a line to the bottom of the tank with a fuel pick up sponge and if your doing some performance stuff you can run a walbro pump at 11PSI, they are EPIC pumps and wont restrict the flow if it stops working so you can turn it off if need be.

the problem with diesel vs gas in regards to reducing pressure and temps is that gasoline drops temp MASSIVELY when it atomizes but diesel does not, well not nearly as much as a gas engine that relies on spark vs heat and compression on a diesel. Having a return from a pressure regulator especially one going from 52PSI to at most 10 is just going to heat up the diesel and wear out the pump, not to mention that the pump probably wont last too long running a MUCH thicker fluid.

could it work with a cheap regulator, yes, is it a good idea, not so much. I would highly suggest you put a 4 row cooler on the return to the tank if you do run it like that.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I would reduce the output to match the motor. Also wonder if the tank venting needs modified.