turbo question

andy351

TDI
2002 jetta wagon 5 speed
I just received this turbo from ebay and even though the add didn't day so i was thing I was getting a VNT1749VB and the tag says VNT1749v but it has the 90 degree bend. My question is would you run it or return it? This piece would be the last part to what I wanted for increased performance to go along with everything else I have done.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-TDI-VNT...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Thanks for the help

2002 jetta wagon 5 speed
Malone stage 3 Tune
DLC 520 injectors
Southbend Daily clutch
egr delete

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
If you now have to spend money to adapt it to fit your engine it won't be as good of a deal.

andy351

TDI
2002 jetta wagon 5 speed
What is throwing me off is the VNT17 compressor housing but a VNT1749v part number on it. The only adapting I see is the new compressor side hose and I knew i would have to get that or a aluminum adapter. It looks like the place selling them are big into turbos. The add said "These are the same turbo on the European 150hp 1.9L TDI equipped Volkswagens." so I am hoping someone could shed some light on that statment,

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
The adapter with the clip or the different hose to hook it up. Sometimes the aluminum adapters are available in the For Sale section cheap. Other than one of those items the turbo is plug and play.

andy351

TDI
2002 jetta wagon 5 speed
So would their be any benefit to returning this one and ordering a VNT1749vb from one of the vendors or is that basically what this one is?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I'm no longer sure what the labeling means on this turbo. Garrett used to sell a VA and VB version, which had different maps and max boost ability. I don't think they do that any longer. The thread linked above is 13 years old, keep in mind. I'm reasonably certain that any VNT-17 that Garrett currently sells is the vb, despite labeling, and will run 22-24 PSI.

Any VNT-17 is going to have the compressor exit shown in the eBay listing. Get this hose: https://www.idparts.com/turbocharger-outlet-hose-gates-a4-bew-vnt-17-p-4645.html and it'll be plug-and-play on your car.

andy351

TDI
2002 jetta wagon 5 speed
I already have the hose so I think I will put the turbo on the car, Thanks for all the help guys!

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
In the eBay description it says about retrofitting the vnt17 adaptor coupler. So fixmyvw.com sell the correct snap in adaptor. Maybe give Rodriguez a call and see if they are the same size. As for intercooler piping go with the upgraded pipe and intercooler from darkside if you are going to upgrade. I have and it is a nice set up.