QUESTION....per selling 2000 Golf very soon

DEZLBOY

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS, Candy White
Within the week,I put my car up for sale. 2000 Golf TDI, 178K miles, manual.

1. QUESTION: Should I pay mechanic to replace crank shaft position sensor (est $215) ? Code pointed to sensor. Car stalled three times (over a month) when hot (after 30 min on highway), starts up no problem and drives fine for rest of trip (another 30 min). Some long trips never stalls.

I could wait to see what buyer prefers as a DIY'er can do for less, and I would sell for less. I am reluctant to sell car that may stall on new buyer even if they are aware of issue.

Thanks for answering.
Long Time Forum Member....
Scott

Last edited:

Prairieview

Veteran Member
TDI
Two 2000 Beetles, 2002 Jetta, 2002 gas avh Jetta, fleet of older 1.6 turbo and non's
You've got a lot of nasty little attorneys which live in your part of the world...don't you? Imagine if someone takes it for a test drive and gets smoked?

You are already (in print/digital) expressing your knowledge of the problem and potential dangers. Hmmm........

Probably better have the sensor installed (you can't do this yourself?) and raise the price of the car and keep your receipt.

DEZLBOY

Veteran Member
TDI
Imagine if someone takes it for a test drive and gets smoked?

Probably better have the sensor installed (you can't do this yourself?) and raise the price of the car and keep your receipt.
Yep, I wasn't thinking so much the legal side, but the issue that someone could get hurt. In fact, I made appt for repair two days ago. Your reply only reinforced my initial thoughts. THANKS!

I've performed some "easy" repairs before, and have the official Maintenance book. I'll check it out. But likely rather have the professional shop do replacement. (FWIW... I NEVER would have sold the car without informing buyer at the very least.)

DEZLBOY

Veteran Member
TDI
FWIW....At your urging and after googling...I did a "test" to see that I could find the bolt, reach it, and loosen it. Passed! So ordering Crankshaft Position Sensor and will DIY..pretty simple.

Thanks all!!

Prairieview

Veteran Member
TDI
Two 2000 Beetles, 2002 Jetta, 2002 gas avh Jetta, fleet of older 1.6 turbo and non's
I realize General Motors thumbed their noses at liability risks with their "killer" ignition switches. But, I'm guessing your legal team is not quite as robust.

A courtroom is no place for an honest man. Avoid it whenever possible. Hope it works out fine for you.

DEZLBOY

Veteran Member
TDI
Just to close out this thread. Crankshaft Position Sensor replaced. Driven car for past week with no issues. Will post a "For Sale" thread within a couple days (need to take photos). Thx all for your advice.