thermostat housing issues

tromano32

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS 5spd 249k miles
Guys,

maybe someone can help me... i recently replaced a bad thermostat...I put in a new BECK/ARNLEY Housing1470055 (147-0055), a new BECK/ARNLEY Oring 0390033 (039-0033) with a Stant 195' thermostat 13379.. Drove the car for about a week when I noticed about a table spoon of coolant under the car after a drive especially after its been up to temp and built pressure... so I thought I screwed up the o ring so I removed everything, cleaned the spot where oring seats with scotch brite pad re installed and attempted to torque it down to spec but the bolt just keeps tightening and doesn't seem to go over 10ft/lbs ... when I try a ratchet is seems impossibly tight but torque wrench just wants to keep letting me tighten... what should I do next?

I am pretty sure the car did not leak before replacement because I bought it, drove for about 2 months with bad t stat ( wouldn't get over 160') and then did repair...

tromano32

Veteran Member
TDI
update / purchased new oem housing and oem oring... the stant tstat fits in the housing very well so I dont see the need to spend 50 bucks for oem tstat

jptbay

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle, 2006 Jetta Wagon
Sounds like you have some stripped threads that need to be repaired.

tromano32

Veteran Member
TDI
They're not stripped ... I think the aftermarket housing is crushing when tightening

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Mine is weeping also several months after replacing. I've heard the aftermarket housings are trouble so I bought OEM... go figure. Behr is one of the OEM tstats and can be had for far less then $50. Usually, with a piece like the housing, bushings will be imbedded at the bolt holes not allowing for the 'crushing' you suspect. If it is compressing, it's crap and needed to be replaced anyways. Hope you solved the problem.

2many diesels

Veteran Member
TDI
rabbit pickup 1z swap Audi A4 Quattro ALH. 02 Beetle TDI. 99 Golf TDI. 03 Wagon TDI. 914 Porsche ALH t
For what it's worth, I found out a long time ago to only use factory thermostats, especially on diesels. The aftermarket ones will not operate in the same temp range as oem. Some of the aftermarket stats (stant) don't even resemble the oem.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Not to mention working correctly w/the OEM housing tabs. You can always use the 'string' trick I suppose but it's nice when they do their job. Dunno about Stant but the Behr works just as it should w/the retaining tabs.

tromano32

Veteran Member
TDI
ya that Stant holds on perfectly to the housing... i thought for 8 bucks I would give it a try... I got the 90'c vs 87'c like oem....

tromano32

Veteran Member
TDI
so I replaced the housing and o-ring with OEM over the weekend and I am happy to report no leaks ! .... I really suspect the generic o ring was the problem... it fit somewhat snuggly on to the housing where as the OEM o-ring fit loosely with a maybe 10thousands play on the ID...