The "What did you do to your B4 today" thread...

FordGuy100

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
*Hides in corner for shame*

Well after work today I decided to tackle the interior.

Working in a single car garage, no AC, in Houston....ugh.

Last edited:

Jetter_Sprinta

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2 Peeps sharing 1 UseYerName//an array of cars
........ I also wanted to check the condition of the antenna. I've been getting rather poor radio reception and thought maybe the antenna might be corroded. That wasn't it. No corrosion, looks great, all the seals were still good, no corrosion noted. So maybe it is because the radio is tired. :confused:........
I recently replaced the headliner in my Passat (*** insert shameless plug*** that I'm selling here on TDIClub) and can tell you that my old antenna appeared fine with 0 corrosion. I had ok FM but lousy am reception. Replacing the antenna DID fix my issue...(((thanks to mcgink, I now have a '97 GLX antenna...maybe it will increase the value of the car ;)))). I even reinstalled the old one to be sure. Your head unit may be just fine. For me, it was what Peter mentions below.....

There's an amplifier in the antenna and I think it gives out after a while. .........

Last edited:

Jetter_Sprinta

TDI
...while driving I noticed a quivering image in my exterior passenger mirror....at the first available spot I pulled over and saved the glass from impending pavement doom:eek:! I think this is the third one (on three different cars) I've saved. I did lose one so I guess I'm still ahead of the game on this common issue!

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
Today I removed my passenger airbag and inserted a B3 glovebox. Anyone have a clue where to find some replacement knee kicker panels that don't weight 30lbs and look stupid? Trays?
VWVortex will occasionally list Euro B4 or B3 undertrays. Ebay.de has them, too, but shipping can be prohibitive. Note that many of the passenger side Euro undertrays out there are for non-A/C models and require major modifications to fit A/C cars. Driver's side fits fine.

97B4TDi

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 B4 Passat, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
I replaced my coolant flange today since it was weeping down my block. Now the temp gauge in the instrument cluster doesn't work...

Any suggestions?

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
The four terminal temp sensor in the flange runs the gage. It's plugged in ok, with all wires intact?

Cardinal rule: when in doubt check what you messed with. :D

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
I would look for a broken wire near the connector to the temp sensor.

Tony
Sent from my e-diesel fleet

97B4TDi

Veteran Member
TDI
Looked for a broken wire but changing from the old flange to the new one I do remember having to twist out the sensor. Could I have severed a connection inside the sensor?

h2oskibum

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat
Put an MFA cluster in today that Derek at Chubs Auto worked his magic on. Still need to round up the parts to make the new features work, but at least the most important part is now installed.

Last edited:

Jetter_Sprinta

TDI
Hope it's OK. You priced those things lately?
......don't even want to know! So far so good, it's inside the car, now I just have to get it reattached with my antenna gasket repair kit ;)
Looked for a broken wire but changing from the old flange to the new one I do remember having to twist out the sensor. Could I have severed a connection inside the sensor?
unplug it again..check for corrosion..broken wire etc...I doubt you hurt the sensor itself, but I guess that depends on what you used to get it out!

Last edited:

97B4TDi

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Jetter. I looked all around it and didn't notice any corrosion or broken wires. The strange thing is I got the dynamic idle(raises idle speed for faster warm up when my engine is cold) in my Eco tune from Malone and that still works perfectly fine but like I mentioned earlier the temp gauge doesn't...

I have a new temp sensor on the way to try and replace it so hopefully that's all it is.

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
Can anyone tell me, on a B4 with a moonroof. Is there a molding of some sort by the top of the rear glass where the headliner ends? I just installed mine after many years of not having one and it seems like I'm missing something.

Can anyone share a picture?

Also any other vag or any car out there we can use sun visor clips from? Mine are broken and I can't ghetto rig then anymore with the headliner in place :D

Sent from USS Enterprise

TDIL3dad

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4, 96 B4V project
Please post pictures of broken clips so I know what to pull.
I have a car I am pulling parts from.

Can anyone tell me, on a B4 with a moonroof. Is there a molding of some sort by the top of the rear glass where the headliner ends? I just installed mine after many years of not having one and it seems like I'm missing something.

Also any other vag or any car out there we can use sun visor clips from? Mine are broken and I can't ghetto rig then anymore with the headliner in place :D

Sent from USS Enterprise

TDIL3dad

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4, 96 B4V project
If this is what you're looking for send me PM with your shipping address.

Sent from USS Enterprise

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
Yes that's the rare beast! Let me know how much. But you wouldn't happen to have the trim that goes on the back by the third brake light? I think it is a section that runs roof wide and covers the light and the edge of the headliner? I'm missing mine since the PO fixed the sunroof and left the headliner and all the other stuff out.

Today was the first time in years I drove my car with a headliner!

Sent from USS Enterprise

Jetter_Sprinta

TDI

Also any other vag or any car out there we can use sun visor clips from?....
in this case moon roof is irrelevant. There is a trim piece in the location you describe. It's held in with screws after it slides into clips (as opposed to pulling into/out of clips) in other words, if you try to pull the trim down and not to the side first, you will break it. They are either beige or grey. this previously uploaded pic of my car shows just just a corner of the trim you're asking about. if you click on it on the photoserver you can see the full sized pic for a better view. I can grab another shot, this one was not intended for that piece obviously.
As far as the visor clips interchangeability, I don't know. Common break item with age. Over tightnening them does not help either. They are beige or grey as well on the B4's

Last edited:

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
After a few long nights in the basement I got my interior done.

Bought suede fabric and some upholstery paint at Joanne fabrics and went to down on the tan cloth to black leather swap.

Headliner is suede and so are all the upper pillars and sun shade. I repainted the sun visor and some other trim to match the black interior. I'm missing two headrests but Beetle ones are on their way.

Sent from USS Enterprise

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32

It's not 100% perfect but considering I had no headliner for the last 3 years... It's a night n day difference. I got a lead on some very clean E36 Vader seats in black leather that I might craft into the car. Otherwise it's mighty cozy in there now :-D

Sent from USS Enterprise

FordGuy100

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
How hard was it to do the carpeting? After spending a whole day shampooing mine, it still looks like crap and needs replaced.

Looks great!

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
Supprisingly easy, just pull the sills off and remove the seats and center console. I had the carpet done in like 2 hours. I do quite a bit of upholstery work at work since Acura leather sucks so I've became very good at it. Worse part was doing the suede pillars. I've also insulated the interior from noises. At 90-100 she's quiet. It's over that the engine noise gets a bit loud.

Sent from USS Enterprise

97B4TDi

Veteran Member
TDI
I got my coolant temperature gauge working again by replacing my coolant temp sensor and decided it was about time I replaced the fuel & air filters, so I did that as well.

I worked 4pm to 2am doing security for a local music festival Wed thru Saturday this past week so I think its about time to kick back and relax the rest of the day.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Went to SuperAdellic's house Saturday to return a borrowed set of DLC1019 nozzles. Ryan did the entire injector replacement with me watching (and learning), then reinstalled my Sprint 520 nozzles.
Just as I put the car in his garage, Ryan noticed a relay clicking on and off. Traced it down to the N75 relay. The relay was clicking like mad till the power was cut off and the relay unplugged.
Everything went back together with no problems and the car started just fine. But, after warming up the car and blipping the throttle we noticed the requested boost and actual boost were very far apart - otherwise the car ran fine. On the way home I could not get more that 8 lbs of boost. The plan is to replace the N75 and see if that cures the problem.

Big Thank You to SuperAdellic for the loan of the DLC1019's and for the lesson in how to do the injector replacement.

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
Took it to a car show and ran into a few B4 owners... On the way back through Mexico did a friendly run with a modified 2.0T Passat B6.

Sent from USS Enterprise