3 bar map and eurojet FMIC

joevat

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI PD
just received my 3 bar map. just wondering will it be a direct fit into the eurojet FMIC pipe that the 2.5 bar map is located or will there have to be some modification? the hole does seem alittle big for the 2.5 bar map but im not for sure.

anyone have a 3 bar map on the eurojet fmic kit?

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Joe, you might need the flange/adapter from 42DD.. I should have mine in the mail in a few days... They have a kit that fits both the smaller and bigger hole.

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
Hey Joe, I just put one on a PD today with stock IC. It fits perfect. However, this clubmember also has the Eurojet side mount IC and it will need an adaptor as the hole is larger. My Eurojet front mount (not installed) also requires an adaptor for the 3 bar. I'd say plan for it, if it isnt needed, OK, but if it is, you are covered.

joevat

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI PD
LNXGUY said:
Joe, you might need the flange/adapter from 42DD.. I should have mine in the mail in a few days... They have a kit that fits both the smaller and bigger hole.
got the link to that flange?
but the eurojet flange seems big enough for the 3 bar. i'd check but i dont have sealant to reseal the 2.5 map.

anyone with eurojet and 3 bar map?

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
See my post above. Yes, you need an adapter. The link LNXGUY was referring to is here.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I just learned today that TDIs as late as 2002 have the large diameter 2.5 Bar MAF: PN 038906051, no suffix. This is also the MAP that's used on 1.8Ts, so it makes sense that Eurojet would make the intercooler with the larger hole.

EDIT: Another thing that you may have already determined: The PD has clips to the intercooler pipes so to go to the Eurojet you need to replace some stock intercooler piping: the two pressure hoses near the turbo, the upper and lower charge tubes, and you'll need some old style spring clips.

Last edited:

vwjettadsl

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
TDI’s
Well I'm glad I read this thread. I was planning on installing my Eurjet SMIC tonight!:eek: But now I'll have to wait until my order from 42 Draft Designs gets here.:(

Later--B

Doc_Oc

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI
This is what I gather from another thread and in bold what I got from a Canadian VW dealer.
There are 5 variations of the same part number: 038 906 051

1. Older type with large 'base' that fits into the IC or boost pipe.
- no suffix -> 2.5 bar 170$
- A suffix -> 3 bar invalid part number ???????????
(These don't fit to replace the newer type)

2. Newer type with smaller base (these you can use to replace the older type)
- B suffix -> 2.5 bar no detail
- C suffix -> 3 bar[/quote] 70$

And there is a D for 170$ as well, but we don't know what the range is.

So, we know for sure that the only one to get is the C one? IBW, do you have a flange or adapter for ppl with old cars and stock IC?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
As chill suggested, I'd get this: http://42draftdesigns.com/18tmapsensors.htm. Looks really nice. And the "C" sensor is the only one that's 3-bar, AFAIK.

For the intercooler, you need (quantities in parenthesis)

1J0 145 834 A: Pressure hose (2)
1J0 145 770 T: Charge tube (1)
1J0 145 840 G: Charge tube (1)
3C0 145 117: Sealing washer (2, I think)
N 906 562 01: Spring clip (4)

Then you'll be good to go.

vwjettadsl

TDI
TDI’s
IndigoBlueWagon said:
As chill suggested, I'd get this: http://42draftdesigns.com/18tmapsensors.htm. Looks really nice. And the "C" sensor is the only one that's 3-bar, AFAIK.

For the intercooler, you need (quantities in parenthesis)

1J0 145 834 A: Pressure hose (2)
1J0 145 770 T: Charge tube (1)
1J0 145 840 G: Charge tube (1)
3C0 145 117: Sealing washer (2, I think)
N 906 562 01: Spring clip (4)

Then you'll be good to go.
The parts you just listed, are they for the FMIC or do they apply also to the SMIC:confused:

Thanks--B

KROUT

persona non grata
You could just get an o ring or oil pan drain plug gasket. Thats what I used. Cost let than a dollar and seals real good. lol

vwjettadsl

TDI
TDI’s
KROUT said:
You could just get an o ring or oil pan drain plug gasket. Thats what I used. Cost let than a dollar and seals real good. lol
Hmm... just a o-ring or oil pan gasket? Now you tell me after I just spent $30.:p

But seriously, do you think I could get a good seal:confused:

After all the hole is about 3/16" larger in diameter than the MAP sensor.

joevat

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI PD
whats the real difference, if any, between the 3 bar map installed on the IC or on the charge pipe where the boost gauge usually gets tapped?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
vwjettadsl said:
The parts you just listed, are they for the FMIC or do they apply also to the SMIC:confused:

Thanks--B
These are for the SMIC install on a PD. The PD has hoses that clip to the IC, so you have to retrofit the old-style hoses that use clamps for the Eurojet. And because they also use clips on the charge tubes, you have to replace those, too. I've ordered these parts for BlueCTTDi so he can install his Eurojet on Saturday. We'll see if that list is complete, but I think it is.

Krout, a correctly sized crushable or rubber washer should work fine. Great idea.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
joevat said:
whats the real difference, if any, between the 3 bar map installed on the IC or on the charge pipe where the boost gauge usually gets tapped?
None. People weld the flanges on the pipes all the time. That is where I am putting mine...

KROUT

persona non grata
vwjettadsl said:
Hmm... just a o-ring or oil pan gasket? Now you tell me after I just spent $30.:p

But seriously, do you think I could get a good seal:confused:

After all the hole is about 3/16" larger in diameter than the MAP sensor.
Mine has been working well like that for over 100,000 miles. I used an oil drain plug gasket. I also had to use some small washers in between the screw holes and the flange to keep the map sensor from bending when you tighten it down. It doesn't mount totaly flush with the bigger washer(gasket) on it.

joevat

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI PD
Doc_Oc said:
I wanna mount it in the stock location as I have the big stock SMIC. So I can't use that flange, although it looks hot.

I'll try Krout's suggestion with the o-ring.

Thanks guys.
wasnt this my thread? you bastardo's. ;)

vwjettadsl

TDI
TDI’s
KROUT said:
Mine has been working well like that for over 100,000 miles. I used an oil drain plug gasket. I also had to use some small washers in between the screw holes and the flange to keep the map sensor from bending when you tighten it down. It doesn't mount totaly flush with the bigger washer(gasket) on it.
Thanks for the further explanation.;)

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
I use a piece of 3m (1/4") closed cell foam with adhesive on both sides. Buy a 12"x12" piece at automotive store. Cut to size and works great. Open cell foam will absorb water and oil and degregate and leak. I've run 35psi w/no problems.
Jeff

joevat

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI PD
Doc_Oc said:
Shut up and get that car running:) You anycloser to the finish line?
Yes and no. the new turbo is in but didnt get the baseline map for the st3 yet and cannot throw on the 3 bar map until then. hopefully comes before sat so i can come to vagkraft.

joevat

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI PD
boost should be 22psi but it tends to spool at idle/revving to about 15-20 psi. it should be because of bigger turbo now and in need of the 3 bar map and new tune. but the smoke issue is gone. very happy with that.
boost valve is coming.

Doc_Oc

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI
What I meant is that even if you put the 3 bar in with the old tune you should be ok to drive. The 3bar will make the ecu request more boost. So instead of 22 maybe 25 or so. But if you put the boost valeve you can open it up a bit so it bleads at 23 let's say.
Anyways, this would be a temp solution. But I wanted to let you know that it would work.
Hope you get it working and maybe even get on the dyno. good luck.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
We found out last Saturday that switching to a 3 Bar MAP in a PD caused a fault code (I forget which one, but I think it was boost deviation), and limp mode. You need to get tuned for the MAP.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
The ALH probably won't do that. It'll just increase boost 2-3 PSI. PDs have more fail-safes.

droppedjet

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD 2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Can someone explain to me or put a link on the bar what does that mean cause you are saying you have 3 bar what does that mean does that give any kind of gain can someone explain cause I am gonna pull my hair out