stuck injectors 2002 jetta tdi

hugho

TDI
red 2002 vw Jetta wagon 250K miles, MT
I have removed injectors in trucks, tractors and boats. never saw any as tough is this 2002 jetta tdi. 250 K, original injectors. I ordered ID's injector puller. With lots of attempts and twisting injectors, heat etc I got out 3 of the 4 but number #3 wont budge. Broke one crows foot trying to twist. I hooked an engine hoist for constant pressure and pounded forever with and without heat. Lots of solvents of course. I am ready to give up. any ideas left out there?

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Dry ice on the injector body and propane torch on the head?
How long has it been soaking? Kroil may work better than some.
It may take as long as a week with PB Blaster on it.
The slide hammer usually gets 'em out.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Has anyone tried taking out relay 109 and cranking the engine?
Would the compression send the injector into orbit?

Prairieview

Veteran Member
TDI
Two 2000 Beetles, 2002 Jetta, 2002 gas avh Jetta, fleet of older 1.6 turbo and non's
If you are going to go that route, simply use an old coat or heavy bathrobe or whatever to lay over the injectors.

Today, I, too, just got into this Beetle I picked up with 199,700 miles and these have never been out either. I lack a slide hammer....so.....

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
If it did go it might bend the pipe. But I guess you have it off already.

But lemesee; 500 psi, maybe 1/2" diameter the pressure acts against, so 1/4 x 3.2 x 500 = 40 lbs.

Get way more than that with a slide hammer.

But maybe loosen the clamp a turn and go for a drive. Heat plus vibration plus hammering by the combustion at much greater than compression pressure...

I'd try it with your car :D

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
bigger slide hammer* ... had one in a scrap head that refused to come out with the standard injector puller so i welded an injector line nut to a lug nut so i could use the shop's monster slide hammer... it came out

burn_your_money

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle, 96 B4V, 05 Passat wagon
I use a single mass flywheel as the slide on my slide hammer. There have been injectors I can't get out. I'd put it back together and drive it and keep the penetrating oil on it daily. Heat cycling is key.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Last time I had bad ones I had to just go at them with the slide hammer like a man possessed! Got them out of course but what a flippin effort. My arm was well and truly dead lol

Dieselmonkey02

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta
I had one extremely stubborn one when I did mine too. I thought I was going to destroy the injector but it eventually came out by slide hammer action.

Prairieview

Veteran Member
TDI
Two 2000 Beetles, 2002 Jetta, 2002 gas avh Jetta, fleet of older 1.6 turbo and non's
After three days of saturating with PB Blaster, and NOT having access to a slide hammer, (I had already pulled the head off the car for other reasons (porting, new guides and exhaust valves), I:
1) used a small ball peen hammer to machine-gun lightly tap the injectors to get some resonance to help loosen

2) then I applied some generic high pressure grease to the injector/head interface area, and used a propane torch to heat and melt the grease which I hoped would "work" it's way into the minute space.

It worked. Took some time though....approx. 2 hours. #3 was the worst and I was concerned.

Now, I can proceed with clean up and rebuild.

Ironforger

Veteran Member
Just last night It took me an hour to remove injector #3. Wouldnt budge at first. Finally got it to move a little with a 15mm wrench and used a long screw driver through the box end of the wrench as a lever against the oil filter housing. I really had to lay into it, nearly bending the wrench etc. Finally move a bit, then I sprayed it good with pb blast while moving it back and forth. Did this for an hour, what a workout, tired arms. eventually it loosened up to the point where I could pry it out (I put a 14 mm socket as a lever fulcrum over the injector hold down bolt hole, then put the 15mm crow foot end of the wrench on the injector and pushed down on wrench against the socket. Leverage action pushed up on injector. Tapped the wrench a bit with a hammer and eventually it came out.

In the process of pulling the head due to a bad head gasket. I'm glad I removed the injectors before pulling the head off since the head is held in place. Would have been much more difficult to do with the head on a workbench.

To prevent stuck injectors in the future, has anyone considered using a light coat of never-seeze on the injector body or in the bore hole? (of course goes without saying to first clean up the holes and injector body real nice).

The injector bore holes are very tight to begin with.

Last edited:

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
To prevent stuck injectors in the future, has anyone considered using a light coat of never-seeze on the injector body or in the bore hole? (of course goes without saying to first clean up the holes and injector body real nice).
It just occurred to me that maybe it's a galvanic corrosion issue - the head's aluminum, are the injector bodies steel?

Seems like never-seez could work for that, but then again I'd be worried about contaminating the nozzle tips if I had to pull them back out again.