038906018FK - any ECU alternatives?

bhodgkiss

Veteran Member
TDI
AFN Passat Wagon
Hi All

A chap i know has an FK ecu in his caddy ALH and wants to know if other ECU numbers are plug and play?

The FK ecu's are rarer in the UK than others

I know some of the 018's are interchangeable.

Many thanks

TDIfreak

Veteran Member
TDI
Multivan AHY, Golf CFFB DSG, A6Q 4F 2.7 TDI CANC, 7 meter boat with ALH.
It's been some time now but I think almost all 038906018 are interchangeable if you put the correct sw for the car. Easiest is to use the chips from the old ECU in the new ECU. Immo adaptation with VCDS is easy in these msa15 ECUs.

bhodgkiss

Veteran Member
TDI
AFN Passat Wagon
Many thanks

So youre saying if I write the FK chips for him in the normal way (based on the MAP locations for the FK) and plug into another 018 ECU, all should be ok in the Caddy (that's the procedure?)

As opposed to (for example) getting an 018P (AFN) ECU and writing 018P chips and expecting it work in the Caddy.

Does that suggest that the brain of the car are actually off the ECU somewhere, so is still expecting FK map locations? Ive never been fully sure how it works.

(If the 'brains' are on the ECU, surely if I swapped in an 018P ECU I'd need 018P map locations/chips?)

Ive previously used 018P chips in an 018P ECU for an 018S car and had no issues, so I presume the brains (code logic) must be on the ECU

As you say IMMO adapt is a few laptop clicks

Last edited:

TDIfreak

Veteran Member
TDI
Multivan AHY, Golf CFFB DSG, A6Q 4F 2.7 TDI CANC, 7 meter boat with ALH.
You can mix a lot of ECUs and files/chips inside msa15 or EDC15. I have for example used ALH EDC15 ECU in a boat with 5 cyl engine (with 5 cyl file flashed).

The file/chips have to match the engine and not so much the ECU.

But of course there are exceptions to this 'rule'.

m1ketdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Leon BKD
Many thanks

So youre saying if I write the FK chips for him in the normal way (based on the MAP locations for the FK) and plug into another 018 ECU, all should be ok in the Caddy (that's the procedure?)

As opposed to (for example) getting an 018P (AFN) ECU and writing 018P chips and expecting it work in the Caddy.

Does that suggest that the brain of the car are actually off the ECU somewhere, so is still expecting FK map locations? Ive never been fully sure how it works.

(If the 'brains' are on the ECU, surely if I swapped in an 018P ECU I'd need 018P map locations/chips?)

Ive previously used 018P chips in an 018P ECU for an 018S car and had no issues, so I presume the brains (code logic) must be on the ECU

As you say IMMO adapt is a few laptop clicks

All the logic is on the chips. A caddy should run on an 018P ecu - but you might find the van drivers wish maps suit white van men better ;).