Oil change dilema

Fluid137

TDI
Jetta Wagon, 04, Blue
I have a bit of a problem. I got 15000km on my car right now. Im due for a couple of long road trips next week.
about 2500km. The manual sways to service at 16000, I dont want to go drastically over, nor do I want to change it to early. What should I do?

Luv My 02 TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta MK5(2010) and MK6(2015)
Do the road trips and change the oil after words.

If you feel that is not the best thing for you. Change it early (now) then change it at the next schedule change.

So it comes down to "Do you have the time now, or after your road trip?"

Oh have a safe road trip....

jimlockey

Veteran Member
TDI
14 TDI Jetta & 09 TDI Sportwagen
I don't like to go over, so I change it early. I have had to change oil on my Ford diesel three times will traveling on the road. Twice at Las Vegas and once at West Yellowstone. My 05 Passat TDI is going to be much more trouble in that we can only use one oil and not to many people can change the oil on a VW TDI. This one point is almost a reason not to buy a VW diesel.

WisTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
none now; formerly had an '03 Jetta GLS
Probably won't matter much but based on the age of your vehicle I would tend to change it now vs. later (if you have the time).

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Are you doing the oil change yourself or having it done at the dealer's??

Since you're still in the "break-in" stage, I would change earlier... (I assume you've got an 2004 car... you're aware that you need the 505.01 oil, yes?? Not all dealers seem to have heard of this...)

Yuri.

koni

TDI
2002 TDI & 1986 Jetta
I do my own oilchange on the 86 Jetta, but on my wife's 2002 I don't want to even look at it, makes me sick, by looking at that crap [cover] they put on!!!

That was about a Year ago and the Stealership said, you can't get the oil anywhere else, except theirs.
Is that still true today??
Who is doing there own oil change on newer TDI's?
Konrad

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
On a 2002 - there is all kinds of different oils that you can get that will work. READ YOUR OWNERS MANUAL for acceptable oils - generally, those that meet ONE of these will be fine - VW505.00, API CF-4 or later, ACEA B3 or B4 , generally in 5W40 or 0W40 weights. I know for a FACT that Mobil 1 European Car Formula 0W40 meets VW505.00 - and this is generally available at autoparts stores.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Actually, the oil change is easier on the 2002 than on the 1986... By the way, the dealer is just as capable of stripping the plug at the bottom of the oil pan as any amateur...

As for what type of oil... the dealer, as usual, is following the party line... I believe most A4 owners around here would prefer Mobil Delvac-1 or Truck & SUV, Shell Rotella-T Full Synthetic, Petro-Canada Duron, Chevron Delo400, or Amsoil - all of them in 5W-40 weights, API CH-4 or higher to the Castrol they sell at the dealership...

All the best,

Yuri.

PS: if you should want to start taking care of the 2002, try ordering filters from Brian Harrison at http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/roseland/

(edited:) I also second the use of the Pela6000 oil extractor... makes oil changes very easy!!

i_winter

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Audi A3 TDI
I don't want to even look at it, makes me sick, by looking at that crap [cover] they put on!!!
Well then, you should do what I did - get a Pela6000 oil extractor and do it (the oilchange
) the elegant way.

... and when I'm done, I crawl under the car, get the cover off, just to see if everything is okay down there - for leaks and stuff
. Well, I only do that every 2nd oilchange.

BTW, most boatshops sell some oil extractors. I got mine from the classifieds from this site.

koni

TDI
2002 TDI & 1986 Jetta
thanks for everyone's comment!

Yuri, You are absolutely right, about that stripping plug thing.
On my 86 Jetta, the dealer never got to change the oil right from beginning, not ones, you should see, that plug looks still like new today.

That oil extractor, you guys are talking about, how does it work? I imagine, sucking it out from the top, and that's a thing I don't want to do!
Ooo.. Jury, why would oil change be easier on the 2002??
Konrad

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
To see a video on how the Pela works - go to the top of the page where it says "Support the TDI Club Get a Timing Belt Video CD" and click it. You will have some videos there, and I believe the fourth one shows how the Pela works. No cost to you. By the way, when you've saved $100 from what you've learned on this forum, you might consider donating to help keep it going.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
>>sucking it out from the top, and that's a thing I don't want to do!<<

Why not? There have been many discussions around here comparing draining the oil from the bottom versus sucking it up through the dip-stick tube... I'd have to rate the battle a draw... For all practical purposes doing it from the top is as good as the alternative... so... with a Pela or equivalent, you get to suck out some of the oil that would remain in the oil filter canister (and also part of the oil cooler)...

As for why it's easier than the 1986... well, watch the video that has the link at the top of the page... dealing with a spin-on type filter that tends to drip all over the place when removing is no fun !! Again, using the Pela, I can change the oil and filter wearing a dress shirt without getting it dirty!!

Yuri.

koni

TDI
2002 TDI & 1986 Jetta
Thanks allot everyone!
I have to think on this one! changing cartridge & o-rings is a drawback, screw out and in of a conventional Oilfilter is way faster and easier!
I have this system on my 1950 International Tractor!
Konrad

DareDiesel

Veteran Member
koni,

I disagree. I have a B4 with the spin on/off filter and wished I had the more convenient top load filter with the o-rings. With a pair of gloves I can change the oil and filter without getting any oil dripping uncontrolled from the filter as I do this all from above.

Before you decide that the newer filters are not a good idea got to a GTG and volunteer to do one. You'll see how easy it is. Also view the video.