Aux Fuel Pump Failure (Formerly:HPFP Failure!)

Rod Bearing

Veteran Member
TDI
Several
I choose to change the oil and filter in mine every 5000 regardless of VW or other opinion, it makes me feel better. I'm an admitted dinosaur. Seems to me to be to much mileage on to small an amount of oil. Certainly can't hurt. Just my $.02 worth

Dan
To each his own, but I get every oil change sampled and tested, and I have never seen a bad one - and in fact they always report back that it can go much further.

Just because it's black doesn't mean it needs changed.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
:pJeez, are we "10k" changers going to have to go to 15k changes to make up for the wasted oil of our brethren?:p

nutate

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
I was having trouble starting and I took it in (to Martens, thanks tdiatlast).

It was apparently also the aux fuel pump, not working up to spec. They're replacing it under the certified preowned warranty... that warranty has saved me ~$3500 by now... I just hope the car works nicely post-warranty...

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
I was having trouble starting and I took it in (to Martens, thanks tdiatlast).

It was apparently also the aux fuel pump, not working up to spec. They're replacing it under the certified preowned warranty... that warranty has saved me ~$3500 by now... I just hope the car works nicely post-warranty...
CPO warranties inflate the price of the used car.

What other issues have you had? An Aux fuel pump should be a few hundred dollars, not several thousand. It's an electric pump, not the same as the HPFP.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Nutate: double check your invoice/etc. Which pump are they replacing?
Sorry for your trouble. I hope Marten's treats you right.

nutate

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
MayorDJQ: indeed they do inflate the cost of a used car, but I've gotten that amount back by now with a new mechatronic, throttle body, butterfly valve... and now this pump. Perhaps saved is the wrong word, but I'd rather have those costs meted out over my car payments than taken as lump sums at a moments notice.

tdiatlast: I don't have the invoice yet, but over the phone I know what they are doing this week. Larry repeated my starting issue and talked to VoA. They told him to check all 3 pumps (feeder, aux and high pressure). The auxiliary wasn't working up to spec so they are replacing it.

I'm glad I'm not in LA relying on this car to get me to work every day! As it is, I'm just figuring I'll have everything that breaks within the next year and a half replaced for free and maybe I'll have a reliable car. It sure is nice between 50 and 95 miles an hour though.