Alternator clutch/tensioner/belt fail Options?

Groundhog

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI SEL
Just got word from the local shop that my 2015 TDI Sportwagen's sudden clattering/turn toward 80's Rabbit ambience is due to a failing alternator clutch and they're quoting $1200 to R&R the alternator, tensioner, and belt. The VW dealer has only gotten back to me with $920 on the cost of the alternator alone.

Have had the car from new (April 2015), 80k now. I could really have done without this (just got a cracked windshield last month too and due for tires). Any way of getting out of this cheaper/without having to do it again for at least another 80k? Live in an apt. and no shade tree work allowed- not that I'm much good anyway
Thanks!

cb1000rider

TDI
none - considering 4runner conversion
2011 JSW TDI here. Same thing. Started rattling like an old diesel (I thought it might have broken a motor mount) - turns out there is some sort of anti-counter-rotate (clutch?) on the end of the alternator that fails on these things. I hear the alternator itself is $500. And getting that clutch off the end of it may be more trouble than it's worth over replacing the entire alternator.

Quoted $800 for a $300 alternator and about 4-6 hours of labor to get in there and get it. Independent shop.

I hear you have to drop a lot of stuff out of the way to get it.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
I think it was caused by the emission update.

(or that is what I would tell the dealer service department)

assuming you have had the emission update performed.

just have to wait till it causes the MIL to light up.

myronhwhite

TDI
2015 GSW 6SPD
The alternator pulley has a integral one-way clutch which actually saves a tiny amount of fuel, by allowing the alternator to keep turning when the crank slows down (between cylinders firing).

When this pulley failed the same way in my 2006 NB TDI, I pulled the alternator and took it to an auto electrical shop. They replaced the clutch/pulley for $50. But the alternator was pretty easy to get out. But at least you might be able to save money by not buying a new alternator.

Good luck!

Groundhog

TDI
Tried to just get the clutch- was told it has not been made available for this model.. figures. At 80k, I guess rebuild/replace are better anyway- especially if there’s a bunch of stuff to move each time. Best quote on a re-manufactured alternator with online discount via. dealer that I got was 392.96 (after core return). Total installed at local shop would be 536.13 (parts and shipping them from dealer 1hr away)+52 diagnostic+336 labor+44 shop supplies= 968.33 (+tax).

Yeah, emmisions mod 1 has been done... don’t think they’ll buy it

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I looked just now and could not find yet the aftermarket availability of this alternator's pulley either. Seems the 2015's engine is different than all the earlier cars (which ARE available).

Sorry. Oddly enough, they still give the info for replacing the pulley, though.

2.1hr labor to R&R the alternator. Could probably find a Bosch reman unit (that would most likely come with a new pulley) in the aftermarket for WAY cheaper than the dealer. Volkswagen is insane with alternator prices, and I have no idea why anyone would pay what they get for one when the same thing is usually available elsewhere for far less. Often times less than half.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
...Oddly enough, they still give the info for replacing the pulley, though...
Hey, Brian, does it use the same splined counterhold tool with the torx or triple square bits?

Last edited:

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
I checked with idparts and Greg says that the grooves on the available replacement pulley for cars up to 2014 are the same. He will get back to me on Monday about the alternator shaft side of the equation and I will report here.

Groundhog

TDI
We did do some searching around for parts. Best price we could find on anything was a new Valeo unit from idparts for 349. Ended up getting a remanufactured OEM one from VW dealer in Norfolk through the parts.vw.com for 392. The local shop quoted the same 535 that the MSRP is for the one we got. (Did pony up the extra to have it shipped right to the shop here instead of picking it up, unfortunately. Spare car and driver are out of town next week and dont trust the 1980 Vanagon to make it safely over the bridges or through the tunnel recquired to get to Norfolk from here, and probably would use like $20 in gas to drive it there anyway ��)

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
I always get parts through Southern VW in Chesapeake online and pickup in person. Their online pricing is usually the cheapest I can find. The procedure does not look very difficult, though the A/C compressor does need to be unbolted and moved out of the way without stressing the refrigerant lines.