new leftover 2015 Passat SE TDI...value?

hangman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen
Hey folks,

I bought a 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI which I have no regrets about buying.
I have enjoyed the car as well as @50 mpg highway fuel economy.

My girlfriend needs a new car after totaling her car yesterday hitting a deer.

I have a lead on a brand new leftover 2015 Passat SE TDI. It has the navigation, sunroof, had the emissions modifications. Its currently in the dealer showroom. He said they changed all the fluids, replaced the brakes and tires, and battery since its been sitting on a lot somewhere before they cleaned it up and put it in the showroom.

The original sticker price on the car was $32,240

Since its a 2015 new leftover which was modified Id like to know what price would be considered a good deal for her?

Thanks for any help on this.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
It seems buyback 2015 Passat SE's are selling for $13-16k with as low as 12k miles dependent on equipment.

I couldnt speculate on what a new one would go for.

Last edited:

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
What is the asking price? If it’s in the showroom they probably thinks it’s precious or something.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
nope nope nope, lots of us here bought em new for less than that back in 2014 with zero tax (me) that's a $16k car tops as VW gave that dealer $8k to do the modification :eek: if it was a SEL maybe 19k, maybe......lots more (thousands actually) in holding lots ready to be resold, no rush!

Last edited:

hangman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen
The ones in the lots are used and can’t be modified for the emissions

Volkswagen will be selling those cars overseas.

This is a new 2015 Passat TDI SE with no mileage and full warranty

It has already had the emissions modification done. They changed all the fluids, replaced the brakes and the tires. They also put a new battery in it.

The sticker price on the vehicle is over $32,000

I sincerely doubt they’re going to sell the car for $18,000

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
double check your sources and make sure that source isn't a sales person :D Local dealers here get lots of the stored cars model year 2011+ to resell

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Check what they stated regarding the work performed on the car, ask for the work order. Our sales guy told us the same thing, except they didn't touch the brakes, VWoA said go pound sand, the issue is with you and your dealer. I also had to fight for them to replace the battery.

We paid about 35K-8,5K from VWoA for our '15 SEL last year, in hind sight we should have waited for a cherry '15 buyback with 20K on it and saved a good chunk of change but the wife likes being the first owner of her car. The dealer made bank on us as they hadn't sold a Passat for MSRP for ages.

Just keep in mind the dealer has may have had this car for over a year and there maybe a reason for it. Don't get caught up in this particular car, do some wide internet searches make some calls, compare prices of slightly used rides (they get the same emissions warranty, and B2B if they are CPO) use those values to weigh against this car.

best case you find a gem a few 1,000 miles away, fly there drive home and save bank on the one your looking at.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
double check your sources and make sure that source isn't a sales person :D Local dealers here get lots of the stored cars model year 2011+ to resell

FYI there were no such thing as a 2011 NMS Passat ;)

hangman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen
Check what they stated regarding the work performed on the car, ask for the work order. Our sales guy told us the same thing, except they didn't touch the brakes, VWoA said go pound sand, the issue is with you and your dealer. I also had to fight for them to replace the battery.
We paid about 35K-8,5K from VWoA for our '15 SEL last year, in hind sight we should have waited for a cherry '15 buyback with 20K on it and saved a good chunk of change but the wife likes being the first owner of her car. The dealer made bank on us as they hadn't sold a Passat for MSRP for ages.
Just keep in mind the dealer has may have had this car for over a year and there maybe a reason for it. Don't get caught up in this particular car, do some wide internet searches make some calls, compare prices of slightly used rides (they get the same emissions warranty, and B2B if they are CPO) use those values to weigh against this car.
best case you find a gem a few 1,000 miles away, fly there drive home and save bank on the one your looking at.
“We paid about 35K-8,5K from VWoA for our '15 SEL last year”

Please forgive me however I can’t quite understand what you’re saying here. They understand that I should verify that the work they say that they did to the car had actually been done. 35K-8,5k? This is what I’m not understanding? Can you elaborate ? Thanks

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
“We paid about 35K-8,5K from VWoA for our '15 SEL last year”
Please forgive me however I can’t quite understand what you’re saying here. They understand that I should verify that the work they say that they did to the car had actually been done. 35K-8,5k? This is what I’m not understanding? Can you elaborate ? Thanks
He's saying (in shorthand), under a deal VW had last year if you leased a "new" 2015, they discounted the price to $26.5, then after signing the lease, pay off the car and your cost to purchase is $26.5 plus tax.
That's precisely what we did, and sure we could have done "better" if we just went into the open market and bought a private party car, but the car was new, and frankly, there isn't a car, be it an Audi, BMW, Lexus, etc. that would better suit our needs--especially going forward with fuel prices setting up to move dramatically higher.

JoshMcMadMac

TDI
NMS Passat SE
That is entirely untrue.

Same as above.

This is a new 2015 Passat TDI SE with no mileage and full warranty
It is a three and a half year old car, regardless of mileage. Get a low-mileage "used" one for half the price, and with the modification done it will have a better-than-full warranty.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
He's saying (in shorthand), under a deal VW had last year if you leased a "new" 2015, they discounted the price to $26.5, then after signing the lease, pay off the car and your cost to purchase is $26.5 plus tax.
That's precisely what we did, and sure we could have done "better" if we just went into the open market and bought a private party car, but the car was new, and frankly, there isn't a car, be it an Audi, BMW, Lexus, etc. that would better suit our needs--especially going forward with fuel prices setting up to move dramatically higher.
bingo, not sure if the VWoA lease/finance deals are still on the table. It was 8.5/5K off respectively.

Last year there were some dealers that reported not even offering the VWoA rebate, or adding "market adjustment" negating the rebate.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE

I'm not sure where you got this information, but it is incorrect.

One requirement for approval between the EPA and Vw was that ALL cars currently stateside (sold or new) MUST be modified to meet emissions agreed upon or CRUSHED. They can not move the cars outside the US for resale anywhere else.

Once fixed to meet emissions, they could be sold. How else ddo you think dealers are currently selling ANY TDI's? Because they have been fixed and sold.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
FYI there were no such thing as a 2011 NMS Passat ;)
I know, I was referring to fixed JSW's and Jetta's that are now approved to get a complete new exhaust system for free :) Just seen a few really sweet rare GSW's pop up on car gurus for less than 15K

Strykeviper

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS 5 speed swap, 2002 Jetta Wagon, 2015 Passat SEL, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen
I just got a 15 Sel for $15k, had 36k miles. Not sure I would be willing to pay an extra 10k for a car that has sat for 3 years.

Quincy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI, 2007 Dodge Cummins QC 4X4 6 sp, 2007 John Deere 3120
I just got a 15 Sel for $15k, had 36k miles. Not sure I would be willing to pay an extra 10k for a car that has sat for 3 years.
You bought your car just as the original "everything" warranty was up. As I understand it, a car that has never been sold is going to have an "in service date" that doesn't even start until said sale. Also, you got a car that you can't account for its treatment for the first 36,000 miles. There is also "real" value to a lot of people in the fact that there has never been a prior owner.

I paid $16,900 for a loaded SE with 13,000 miles. I wouldn't have paid an additional $10k for a 0 mile car either. I think I probably would have paid another $5,000 though had that been an option.

I was in the market to buy a brand new commuter thinking I might have a long daily drive ahead of me. I stumbled upon and impulsively took this Passat home. I already knew what my options for "brand new" were in the $22-24K range so I was somewhat comfortable in my choice. Just to calm any buyer's remorse I might come to have, I researched what I could have had "brand new" in the $17k range. There is nothing new under $20k that I would have had the slightest interest in bringing home.

Lincoln

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6 Speed MT
I paid $16,900 for a loaded SE with 13,000 miles.
Quincy, where'd you get yours? I'm close to you and looking now. VW dealers seem to want unreasonable amounts, and private dealers often seem really shady. Were they willing to negotiate much from asking price?

BroncoAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Touareg Lux, 2015 Passat 6MT, 2009 Jetta (long gone), 2011 Touareg (bought back 02/18)
You bought your car just as the original "everything" warranty was up. As I understand it, a car that has never been sold is going to have an "in service date" that doesn't even start until said sale. Also, you got a car that you can't account for its treatment for the first 36,000 miles. There is also "real" value to a lot of people in the fact that there has never been a prior owner.
I paid $16,900 for a loaded SE with 13,000 miles. I wouldn't have paid an additional $10k for a 0 mile car either. I think I probably would have paid another $5,000 though had that been an option.
I was in the market to buy a brand new commuter thinking I might have a long daily drive ahead of me. I stumbled upon and impulsively took this Passat home. I already knew what my options for "brand new" were in the $22-24K range so I was somewhat comfortable in my choice. Just to calm any buyer's remorse I might come to have, I researched what I could have had "brand new" in the $17k range. There is nothing new under $20k that I would have had the slightest interest in bringing home.
Everyone wants a base model Kia Soul MT for $17250... I actually considered a leftover 2017 Soul for $14,500 out the door. I’m glad I purchased my Passat instead as it’s more comfortable, better on fuel, and much better on mountain grades. I paid $16,900 for my 2015 SE 6MT with 26K on the clock in November 2017. At the time it was the only 6MT I could find within 1000 miles. Now approaching 35K miles I have no regrets.

Quincy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI, 2007 Dodge Cummins QC 4X4 6 sp, 2007 John Deere 3120
Quincy, where'd you get yours? I'm close to you and looking now. VW dealers seem to want unreasonable amounts, and private dealers often seem really shady. Were they willing to negotiate much from asking price?
I bought mine at a little lot in Burlington called Pacific Auto Sales. They typically never negotiate. They always have very clean, low mileage vehicles and just price them right. You can look them up and see their inventory. I don't know if they even advertise. They put the mileage and price right on the stickers.

There is a guy in Lynnwood that has kind of made these his niche. He's always on Craigslist and I think he even has a manual or two right now. His ads always say "Text Rob".

nate68178

TDI
2015 Passat SEL 2003 New Beetle 5sp 2003 Jetta 5sp 2001 Golf 5sp
Just picked up a 2015 SEL for $18k with 12.7k on it in Tennessee....had to drive 350 miles each way, but couldn't fine black interior here where I live, plus all the dealers are at least $2k higher

nate68178

TDI
2015 Passat SEL 2003 New Beetle 5sp 2003 Jetta 5sp 2001 Golf 5sp
No, it was a non VW dealer......still has 2 months left on the bumper to bumper, and 2 years on powertrain, though. Already going to the dealer for an on, and off check oil light......oil is fine just comes on, and off when it wants to.

BroncoAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Touareg Lux, 2015 Passat 6MT, 2009 Jetta (long gone), 2011 Touareg (bought back 02/18)
No, it was a non VW dealer......still has 2 months left on the bumper to bumper, and 2 years on powertrain, though. Already going to the dealer for an on, and off check oil light......oil is fine just comes on, and off when it wants to.
Verify your warranty when you go to the VW dealer, they should be able to print you a summary. I was under the impression that all repaired cars were getting the same warranty regardless of where they were purchased. You might be pleasantly surprised or I could be wrong.

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
The reason I asked is CPO TDIs currently get a 2-year/unlimited mileage bumper-to-bumper warranty. But, the warranty you're getting from VW is great anyway.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I wouldn't give any more than $20,000, but I'm also a cheap old b$$$$$$.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
The reason I asked is CPO TDIs currently get a 2-year/unlimited mileage bumper-to-bumper warranty. But, the warranty you're getting from VW is great anyway.
Where did you find this information about an unlimited mileage warranty?

When I bought my 2015 Passat last month, I was told 2 Years / 24,000 miles?

I am at work right now otherwise I would check my CPO paperwork. But is it written in stone (or on paper) somewhere?

I tried checking Vw's website, but it says the warranties are model specific and you should check your paperwork.

Last edited: