Do we have any current biodiesel sources in the GTA?

Victor Huge

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 Golf TDI
From what I read, the station at Queen and Pape is done serving bio and all the other ones are far enough that it wouldn't seem practical. I've held off on asking about it for almost a year hoping that someone would announce something but it hasn't come up. So, any sources?

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Queen and Pape stopped selling BIO at least two years ago.

Even if someone somewhere sells it, they would usually stop selling it going into the cold season.

sinc

Veteran Member
TDI
None
There is a bio diesel co-op in Erin, Ontario. They are producing their own now versus previous years they were buying from another source up north. $50 for a yearly membership and prices are usually better than regular diesel. Everpure I believe it's called.

CmdrData

Veteran Member
North of 401, where the snow double/triple up!
TDI
2001 Golf - used to
Depressing indeed, I'll have to drive 1.5hr to get to the station sinc mentioned above if I want bio. I know what some of you is going to say, we drive diesel so that's no big deal BUT time is the issue here. 3hrs to get a tank of bio is just too much.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I just want to say for what its worth, a few years ago I was almost empty and happened on a truck stop in Texas (Carl's truck stop) on I-35 Southbound, which sold BIO.

Now on these trips it is strictly Interstate driving, so my mileage is quite consistent, no matter where and what brand I fill up with.

I got the worst mileage ever using the BIO diesel, considerably less mileage as a matter of fact, as far as I am concerned that was the first, last and only time I'll ever buy it.

Johhny04

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi
I just want 2% bio to be standard in all honesty, that would be good enough.
2 or 5% is going to be standard in Ontario in the next year or so. There was a law passed on July 1, 2011 that has made 2 or 5% Bio mandatory in all diesel. Do a search for the newspaper articles. We just have to sit and wait till they start implementing it.

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Sportwagen, 2009, Graphite
I just want to say for what its worth, a few years ago I was almost empty and happened on a truck stop in Texas (Carl's truck stop) on I-35 Southbound, which sold BIO.

Now on these trips it is strictly Interstate driving, so my mileage is quite consistent, no matter where and what brand I fill up with.

I got the worst mileage ever using the BIO diesel, considerably less mileage as a matter of fact, as far as I am concerned that was the first, last and only time I'll ever buy it.
Geez man! You're not doing it for the mileage! Back when Truck Town Terminals sold B100, I bought some on Earth Day and it felt like Mother Nature wrapped me up in a big furry blanket (warm and fuzzy feeling!)
and the car liked it too! :D

Brian_Spilsbury

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 JETTA, 2004 JETTA
Since solving my fuel problem, I am back to being a happy camper when it comes to BIO but that's at 50% or less, I think, to be on the safe side.
The coop has depots in Orangevilla and Acton as well as Hillsburgh and Guelph. Make the drive up there with 3-4 fuel cans, and get your winter supply. You are only using a few liters per tankful after all.
Once I cleaned out the fuel system of the crud from a bad blend of BIO from 2 yrs ago, plus the scum that came from bad dino, the car is back to running great again. Even on close to 100% I consistently get between 1000 and 1200km per tank and the exhaust smells nice too.
I had a bad feeling I was going to have to rebuild the IP as part of the repair but that looks like it's OK now as well.

ksa63

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 "Technik" TDI
My last tank of Soy B-100, early Oct., I travelled over 1200K before needing to fill again. I'm now cutting back to B-50+ till freezing temps arrive then I'll go to straight diesel for the winter.

Where there is a will there is a way to get your biodiesel fix. The Erin co-op is one option, buying in bulk (1000L+) from an Ontario supplier is another or maybe you'd like to purchase a few cans from someone who does purchase in bulk (me) to get a little bit to mix.

Making it is not that hard to do either, small batchs of 30L took me an evening to make and another to wash, it was a little messy though. If you wanted more volume and scaled up to do it you could take over some significant realestate in your garage, I know; between needing the room and not interested in making it any more I stopped processing it.

Anyways, B-100 is always available somewhere if you really want to use it.

Victor Huge

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 Golf TDI
From reading this article, one would guess that biodiesel should now be in our fuels!
http://www.ec.gc.ca/default.asp?lang=En&n=714D9AAE-1&news=51700503-B277-4951-9DDD-2CDDE62C501A

Is this the case? I haven't seen any mention of it at the stations, but it would definitely mean those with CR can quit worrying as much.

Ooop; I just read this; http://www.ec.gc.ca/lcpe-cepa/default.asp?lang=En&n=44ACCDAD-1&offset=2&toc=show
A.29: Why don’t the regulations specify the start date for the requirement for 2% renewable content in diesel fuel and heating oil?The results of an assessment of the technical feasibility of renewable fuel in diesel fuel and heating distillate oil should be available later in 2010 to inform the Government’s decision regarding the appropriate start date for the renewable fuel requirement for diesel fuel and heating distillate oil.
A.30: Why are there requirements relating to diesel fuel and heating distillate oil, when the 2% requirement is not yet in force?
The regulations allow any renewable fuel in any liquid petroleum fuel to be used to meet the 5% renewable fuel requirement for gasoline. In this regard, the regulations are fully integrated in that distillate compliance units may be created, traded and used to meet the renewable fuel requirement for gasoline. In addition, the Government intends that the renewable fuel requirement for diesel fuel and heating distillate oil will come into force in 2011 (pending the successful demonstration of renewable diesel fuel use under the range of Canadian conditions – under the assessment noted in question A.29). Including the regulatory structure for both requirements provides regulatees with a clear indication of the form that the renewable fuel requirement for diesel fuel and heating distillate oil will take.
.. and it thorougly confused me.

Last edited:

OhMagoo

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Jetta, '05 Passat
I dropped 25000 litres B5 into Taylor Fuels in Cambridge last night...the card lock

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Hey Peter. Is B5 a common delivery for you now, or is it just the odd station here & there? Any places in the east end that you deliver B5?

OhMagoo

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Jetta, '05 Passat
Hey Peter. Is B5 a common delivery for you now, or is it just the odd station here & there? Any places in the east end that you deliver B5?
Only places I know that carry B5 regularily are the CO-op cardlocks. and I think that is a hit/miss thing. Nothing I know of out east, Nigel.

Victor Huge

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 Golf TDI
Does Olco still have b20? The one at 35 Old Kennedy Rd, Markham?

Also, anyone know when b2 will be standard? I can't find much more info other than it's supposed to happen, no confirmations though