www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old April 22nd, 2010, 17:25   #31
engineerorange
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2015 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 39/41/44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1
Seems like that is the new trend. Can't buy parts, you must buy assemblies now.
You can't buy "parts" because very few people are smart enough to figure out which "part" needs replacing. They wouldn't sell enough "parts" to make it worth creating a new stocking number and location.
Old April 23rd, 2010, 05:35   #32
McDiesel

Did the disassembly last night to a point. Somebody must have borrowed my 1/4" universal so the bottom bolt was just out of reach. I have a T30 bit in a 1/4" socket but my extensions were all too long to allow access. The universal seems like it would give the desired angle and the proper length to allow the ratchet in and it should be cake.

It didn't matter whether key on or key off, running or shut down, the flapper stays open. This is contrary to the P2112 code claiming "stuck closed". The motor that controls the flapper makes a high pitched noise as it trying to work, but the flapper didn't even twitch. I cleaned inside the bore top and bottom thinking it may help in the event the flapper would close that it may not stick. Will revisit this over the weekend after I find/buy a universal and may open up the housing for inspection.

The wires that go to the connector for this unit are ok (no broken insulation) but there is a "pinch point" at which the plastic jacket that the wires are wrapped with is cracked, leaving the wires more vulnerable. Will tape that section after I pull the unit off and can more thoroughly check it over.
McDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2010, 05:56   #33
jonathantingley
Veteran Member

i also have a stripped gear. I was wondering is there any real bad effects to just leaving the flapper broken? if it does no harm, and essentially lessens the amount of exhaust being suck in the intake than i see no benefits to fixing it. Mine is stuck open and it really doesn't shut down that rough.
jonathantingley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2010, 04:49   #34
suparag
Veteran Member

TDI(s): None now.

Quote:
The throttle body, or 'regulating flap', part number 03G-128-063-G is $275 IIRC.
My 06 Jetta has the same issue, throwing a P2015 code and Emissions Workshop message. Took it to the dealership with my printout for the code (I had cleared it with my vag-com), they said it was the flap that needs replacing. I did search for the part number listed above and got couple of places it was around $210.

The dealer quoted a parts price of $300 and two hours of labor at $110 plus tax for a grand total of $620. I told them to forget it.

My question is how easy is to replace it. It looks like 4 bolts holding the thing in place, plus the harness for the motor. Is there a gasket in between the EGR and the flap? Is there any caveat in replacing it myself? Are there are minor tricks that you gurus and experienced TDI folks can tell me?

Any little help is appreciated. Thanks.
Currently no VW.
suparag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2010, 05:17   #35
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

The part comes with the o-ring seal. Not that difficult to replace, you may want a 5mm ball-ended Allen socket, a good one.
Old June 11th, 2010, 11:36   #36
suparag
Veteran Member

TDI(s): None now.
Default Thanks

Thanks Oilhammer.
Currently no VW.
suparag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2010, 17:02   #37
mobiledaveb

Mine threw the 2112 again this weekend. Looks like I'll be ordering the part as well. I read somewhere on here that it needs to be calibrated after installation?

Thanks!

db
previous TDIs: '98 NB, '00 NB, 04 Passat, MkV Jetta
mobiledaveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2010, 11:12   #38
mobiledaveb

Mine failed completely yesterday as my son was pulling into the driveway. (Talk about timig) Gear grinding noise as the stepper motor attempts to move the flap. Picked up the replacement part this morning.

Thanks everyone for the pointers.
Old June 14th, 2010, 16:04   #39
mobiledaveb

I did the replacement this afternoon. Pretty quick and easy task - took me about 20 minutes from start to finish. Rather than bending the intake hose out of the way, I just disconnected it at both ends and pulled it out and set it aside. I was surprised how much oil there was inside it. I set it on end to drain and covered the openings with lint free rags to keep any dust out.

I used a torx bit with ratchet and had the defective unit out with ease. It had a fair bit of carbon on the inside but not enough to interfere with the operation. I did notice a bit of play in the flap which indicated there were stripped teeth on the gear inside. I pulled the cover of the motor and found that there were about four teeth stripped off the gear attached to the spring-loaded flap shaft.

A good troubleshooting technique might be to check for any play with the flap. If it moves that is a good indication there are stripped gears.

Buttoned it up. Hooked up the VAGCOM and cleared the faults. Road tested in varying conditions and good to go!

One thing to note... I called around to several dealers and found two that did not have the part in stock. They said that the VW parts system says the part is on factory hold. No explanation or target ship dates. You might want to get one sooner than later...
Old July 9th, 2010, 04:39   #40
PAJettaTDI

I have a 2005.5 BRM Engine, and got the P2112 "Throttle Actuator Control System - Stuck Closed" also. I gave it two days and it happened more than once so I purchased the following part from a local (Pittsburgh area) dealer:

03G-128-063-Q Flap $300.00

It was the only one I could find between 3 dealerships and it was a special order that they ended up selling me since they could supposedly get another one in 2 days.

One caveat, some of the posts indicate that you need a 5mm allen wrench to remove the bolts. This was not true in my case. I needed an 8mm triple square driver instead, so I also had to buy:

Sunex 9719 Triple Square 8 Pc Bit Socket Set which contains the 8mm triple square driver needed to remove the 3 bolts which hold the regulating flap assembly onto the EGR valve. It also has the 14mm driver needed to remove rear brake calipers, so not a bad deal for $35.00

There was a oily greasy build-up inside my old flap and EGR, and I did some brief cleaning, but didn't feel like removing more parts at this point, so I went ahead and installed the new flap. The entire process only took about 20 minutes and so far, no more MILs.
PAJettaTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2010, 13:56   #41
LuvDaDiesel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Awesome

i'm interested in the 2112 code as my 06 Jetta has the same issue. It was on, off, on, off, currently on for the last couple of months. Sorta been hoping it would work itself out. What I remember from my investigation was that the "throttle actuator valve"??? was not closing. I would be interested in what you have learned.
LuvDaDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2010, 13:58   #42
oilhammer

We've learned a new throttle body fixes the problem.
Old July 10th, 2010, 21:26   #43
JasonDelta

I've just run into this same problem with my 06 Jetta TDI and looks like I'll need to replace the regulating flap like everyone has suggested. I'm just wondering though, there are two part numbers floating around this thread - originally oilhammer said it is 03G-128-063-G, while PAJettaTDI said he replaced it with 03G-128-063-Q. I'm just wondering which is the correct part number? PAJettaTDI has a 2005.5, mine is an early 2006. Does this make a difference with the part or is the last letter just indicate the part revision?

Last edited by JasonDelta; July 10th, 2010 at 21:36.
JasonDelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2010, 15:27   #44
oilhammer

VAG changes/updates parts and part numbers all the time. Best bet is to have your local dealership parts department look up the part in question by your VIN.
Old July 16th, 2010, 14:58   #45
JD1

TDI(s): Jetta

Just had mine done by a dealership (light came on during vacation trip).
Code P2015 "Intake Manifold Runner Position Sensor/Switch Circuit" Range/Performance Intermittent

On the parts box:
03G 128 063Q
Reg. Klappe

Part $361.50
Labor $275.00
Service manager kindly deducted 20% from total

EXPENSIVE
If your at home and this happens, really try to fix this yourself.

Oh, forgot to mention, I got a free car wash.
JD1 is offline   Reply With Quote