Homelink gone in 2018 NMS?

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I heard a nasty rumor that the Homelink garage door accessory is gone on the 2018 Passat. I couldn't find it listed in the specs online, either. Can anyone with a 2018 confirm?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
the MK7s has gone to am optional homelink mirror instead of the sun visor, they maybe applying this to the NMS.

I installed the mirrir on my Alltrack and it actually works really good as it has auto dimming as well, and the range seems to be a but longer than our Passat.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
the MK7s has gone to am optional homelink mirror instead of the sun visor, they maybe applying this to the NMS.

I installed the mirrir on my Alltrack and it actually works really good as it has auto dimming as well, and the range seems to be a but longer than our Passat.
This is good news— possibly. I'd be willing to pay for it as an option or dealer installed accessory. The Homelink is important to us, not really optional in the building parking garage we live in, unless we want to use the big and clunky clip on units provided by the building management.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
I'd pay to *NOT* get that "phone home" crap and the Homelink by default, myself . . . Almost everyone has a garage door, not sure home many want to pay for the other (in my opinion) negligibly useful service . . . .

Last edited:

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'd pay to *NOT* get that "phone home" crap and the Homelink by default, myself . . . Almost everyone has a garage door, not sure home many want to pay for the other (in my opinion) negligibly useful service . . . .
If by the 'Phone home crap' you're talking about VW's version of GM's OnStar (I can't remember the name of it), that's not what is under discussion here, just the garage door device.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
If by the 'Phone home crap' you're talking about VW's version of GM's OnStar (I can't remember the name of it), that's not what is under discussion here, just the garage door device.
"CarNet" is what VW calls their "OnStar" replacement. I also agree that it is not worth what they charge for it. The new MQB homelink auto-dimming rear view mirror does work and it is pretty easy to install. As stated above Homelink is only for opening garage doors and maybe security gates or turning on your lights at home.

Have Fun!

Don

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
That's the one, and I was simply stating my preference that it be the option, and not Homelink . . . . since it's never touched. I could not recall the name . . .

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Also Carnet isn't an option, they include it and all the added hardware on the various trim levels, the only thing optional is the monthly subscriptions. Which I'm surprised i never received a mailer for begging for my money, granted I never pressed any of the buttons either.

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
And, whether you pay for a subscription or not, Carnet can still track you. I looked into disabling it, but it involves removing the cluster unless you can forego bluetooth. There's a write-up on Vortex about it.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I remember seeing that, def looks way more work than it's worth it.