TDI maintenance cost of jetta

Dude_57

TDI
None yet
I been really thinking hard about getting a jetta TDI but am un sure I it would be worth it because of how expensive it might be to repair and do regular maintenance I was hoping if anyone could help explain to me if it's just a little more expensive to maintain these or if it's alot thanks!!

flatlanded

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
It's not so much cost of parts as it is finding someone to do the work. If you fix it yourself it's not too bad. If you go to the dealer, you will have to sell a kidney. Find a guru nearby and it's not a problem.

Parts are a little more expensive than your average car and there are some MUST DO maintenance items but I've noticed that stuff on these cars just last longer.

procupine14

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle 5sp
If you want a car cheap to maintain then Japanese is the way to go.
I second this but honestly, I personally have saved enough on fuel costs that the extra maintenance has been paid for along with extra money in my pocket. A lot of that depends on the car you currently have. In my case, I had a gas guzzler that used Premium so it saved me a boat load.:cool:

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
I'm on my second TDI, the first was a NB. Fuel costs saved will be spent on maintenance. If you want a car cheap to maintain then Japanese is the way to go.

Where is the like button on this!!!!

Anything I saved o fuel, I put back in parts alone, and I did do almost all of the work (past warranty) on the car myself, or a friend did it free of charge, and it is still a money losing proposition. (If my car weren't paid for, or if I had a job, it would be gone.)

I have kept meticulous maintenance records, and I have completely filled a 1" binder just with the receipts for all of the parts that I have bought in just seven years (135k miles) of ownership.

Oh, PS: flame suit on.

Unless you really love working on cars, or really love hanging out at a dealership/repair facility waiting room, run as fast as you can to your nearest Honda or Toyota dealership.

As evidence, I offer you this post: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=1974150&postcount=7 which is now 3-1/2 years old, so you can add much more to that.

There are many others on this forum who have had similar experiences; I"m just the most vocal of them.

Bottom line, if I had known then what I know now, I would not have bought a VW, and I won't be buying another one.Some people say that my car breaks because I don't drive it right or I don't take care of it, so if that's true then this is not a car that you can just drive and not worry about.

Last edited:

mjwilson

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE (bought back 11/28/2016)..adieu
This is a snapshot of the operational expenses I've had so far on my 2004 Jetta. Maintenance includes all scheduled items (including TB). My cost/mi. has been consistent for nearly 3 years. I wonder how this compares to other auto manufacturers.

procupine14

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle 5sp
This is a snapshot of the operational expenses I've had so far on my 2004 Jetta. Maintenance includes all scheduled items (including TB). My cost/mi. has been consistent for nearly 3 years. I wonder how this compares to other auto manufacturers.
WOW. I'm pretty sure that you are in econo car/toyota Yaris type car territory with that number.

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
Maintenance includes all scheduled items (including TB).
Does that includeall of your UNscheduled maintenance? many people (and many salesman) brandish "low maintenance costs" by estimating "scheduled" maintenance only, but fail to account for UN scheduled services.

My UNscheduled repairs have been FARRRRRR more costly than any of my scheduled maintenance, including my TB.

OMG!!!!! you've spent SIX THOUSAND DOLLARS on maintenance alone (16341.59 less fuel costs of 9871.59). That is just under a thousand dollars per year in repairs!

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
I must agree with Post #6.
get a Honda-Toyota-Nissan-Subaru
I would second the Subaru, but they come with a high initial purchase price and are hard on fuel. (They're bullet proof though.)

Last edited:

Tom_B

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Touareg, 14 A6
I been really thinking hard about getting a jetta TDI but am un sure I it would be worth it because of how expensive it might be to repair and do regular maintenance I was hoping if anyone could help explain to me if it's just a little more expensive to maintain these or if it's alot thanks!!
The following is my opinion and my experience, which obviously may differ from others. To me the key is the highlighted phrase above. Based solely on repair/maintenance costs vs fuel savings, my VWs would not compare very favorably to other vehicles I've owned. To be fair, I've never maintained any of those other vehicles by the book as I have with the VWs. When something breaks, and something will for any car, it's definitely more expensive to fix, or have fixed, than many other makes.

On the positive side, we've owned our Passat and Jetta for all, or nearly all, of their operational lives. Both have over 120k miles and I would not hesitate to jump in either one at a moment's notice and drive across the country. They are both still tighter, drive and handle better than any other vehicle I've owned did at 40k miles or less. We got our NB with about 62k miles so we weren't in control of its earlier service history. It's in good shape but frankly I'm not as secure in it as the other two I mentioned.

Right now I'm sold on our TDI's. In other words, for me, it's worth it considering my values. I can even say that for the Passat with its BSM replacement cost. When it comes time, I really don't know whether I'll replace one of these with another VW, especially these new fangled ones. ;) However, I'm hoping I don't have to make that decision for another 100-200k miles on any of them. I could be singing a different tune if something major and unexpected happens, but the same could be said for any make.

mjwilson

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE (bought back 11/28/2016)..adieu
Does that includeall of your UNscheduled maintenance? many people (and many salesman) brandish "low maintenance costs" by estimating "scheduled" maintenance only, but fail to account for UN scheduled services.

My UNscheduled repairs have been FARRRRRR more costly than any of my scheduled maintenance, including my TB.

OMG!!!!! you've spent SIX THOUSAND DOLLARS on maintenance alone (16341.59 less fuel costs of 9871.59). That is just under a thousand dollars per year in repairs!
The costs include UNscheduled repairs and parts, too.

Rob02f350

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Black jetta, 5 speed. 2000 white jetta 5 speed w/100K less miles
maintenance costs is something to think about... my truck i bought with 130K miles. Currently @ 180 miles, oil changes every 5K miles(4 gallons oil) 80-120$, a started junked out when i was on the road.. chewed up the flywheel, 1200$, front axle hubs, u joints, 500$ and im needed a rear end rebuild but found a used better shape one with a locker for 300.

but fuel prices... 18mpg summer,15mpg winter just shy of 50K miles... 3 years..

the car.. cheep money, parts are smaller and cheaper so far. except a timing belt job.
and plus, 50 MPG vs 30-33 on a gasser, unless you buy a Mini that will get 40.

Dude_57

TDI
None yet
Wow that really helps alot guys! Thanks!! Lol so many positive and negatives haha I'm Thinking a 2006 jetta TDI but I'm not sure..... The new ones look pretty decent but I don't want a payment I just need a dam good car to get me back and forth to work and to take on trips I plan on paying cash for one if I find a good deal and if I get convinced its worth it ya know?? Obviously 40+ mpg I's catching my eye I drive a dually right now and
I can't imagine doubling my mpgs

Stuart Little

Veteran Member
TDI
10' Jetta TDi Cup Edition - 6M, 02' TDI Beetle - 5M
I considered all of these items at one point in time, I have the new CR model, produced rather late so maybe it will have less bugs in the long run, either way I covered my ass with a 7yr 100k bumper to bumper, on top of my payment i'll put away 100 bucks a month towards eventual repairs but I don't drive a huge amount which means fuel costs aren't huge I have 6.5years 88k left on the warranty so I'm guessing it'll take me to the deadline of 10/2017 before I have to pay for much of anything.

I do routine maintenance religiously, my car takes car of me, I take care of it. So I'll spend some here and there for tires, brakes, winter wheels, oil changes, detailing products for when I clean it etc. but if I put away $100 a month (easy for me to do) then I'll have $7700 saved up for maintenance when the time comes :) Now add in the additional savings I'll get from fuel and you're looking a large chunk of change, I'd definitely like to prove the CR and get it to 500k :)

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
If I put away $100 a month (easy for me to do)
Must be nice.

then I'll have $7700 saved up for maintenance when the time comes
Or you could invest that into an IRA or something that would benefit you, rather than spend it on car maintenance. (Hell, spending it on beer would be better than spending it on car maintenance.)

thevanillaninja

TDI
'10 Salsa Red Jetta 6M
To counteract everyone elses' testimonials, I've found my '10, bought new, has paid for itself. Of course, I'm somewhat of an exception though, driven 18,000+ miles in less than 8 months. 2 months of those were spent deployed, but that's part of being military and a geo bachelor as well I guess.

8 Oct '10 - 1 June '11 = 7 months, 3 weeks

18,200 miles
2294 mi/mo
76.5 mi/day

average price of diesel = ~$3.75
average price of gas = ~$3.60

18,200 miles at...
TDi = $1516 (18,200mi/45mpg*3.75)
DD before TDi = $5460 (18,200mi/12mpg*3.60)

(car payment DDprior-TDi car payment)-(5460-1516)= $3674/mo

So, even paying more than 2 1/4x more per month in car payment for my car, I WAY more than make up for buying a new car instead of driving the truck I had, that was about to paid off. Even paid off, I would still be over $3k a month I don't spend, simply on fuel.

I have yet to see any average tank less than 45mpg, it's usually 49-52 that I pull. I'm driving a sedan, it's a m6, and I'm driving for the best mileage, but still, saving tons of money. $3k a month ain't bad, because filling up a 26 gallon tank every 250-ish miles sucks compared to the 650-725 miles that I take filling up my 14 gallon tank with diesel. I love when people tell me, "Diesel costs more than gas!" Yeah, it does. I'll gladly pay that extra 10c for the mileage I get.

Drive one and then make your judgement. Moreso, let the car make it's decision about you. I drove a brand new '10 Golf TDi manual (the only diesel stick they had on the lot) and I was sold. Had a hell of a time hiding my smile from the salesman.

cmitchell

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS black / black leather
My wife's Honda has been much more expensive to maintain as it's had FAR more issues than my TDI. I'll personally never purchase another vehicle with that scrunched "H" on the grill.

kiva822

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Wagon
Wow that really helps alot guys! Thanks!! Lol so many positive and negatives haha I'm Thinking a 2006 jetta TDI but I'm not sure..... The new ones look pretty decent but I don't want a payment I just need a dam good car to get me back and forth to work and to take on trips I plan on paying cash for one if I find a good deal and if I get convinced its worth it ya know?? Obviously 40+ mpg I's catching my eye I drive a dually right now and
I can't imagine doubling my mpgs
how many miles a year do you drive?

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
I've found my '10, bought new[...] 18,000+
Come back and tell us how you feel at 150k miles, 10 years from now, and let's see if your car is still paying for itself. Your car is brand new, it SHOULDN'T have any problems lol.

(Then again, my POS had all kinds of problems before 50k.)

"Diesel costs more than gas!" Yeah, it does. I'll gladly pay that extra 10c for the mileage I get.
I have to agree with you 100% on that, but I have to take into consideration TOTAL cost of ownership.

Stuart Little

Veteran Member
TDI
10' Jetta TDi Cup Edition - 6M, 02' TDI Beetle - 5M
Must be nice.

Or you could invest that into an IRA or something that would benefit you, rather than spend it on car maintenance. (Hell, spending it on beer would be better than spending it on car maintenance.)
Not trying to brag, I'm just single is all, no children or gf right now so nothing to spend my money on :)

Replace that beer with bourbon and you sir are correct! Good idea, mayhap I'll add it to a high interest account, CD's or something with better interest than my savings acct.

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
Not trying to brag, I'm just single is all, no children or gf right now so nothing to spend my money on :)

Replace that beer with bourbon and you sir are correct! Good idea, mayhap I'll add it to a high interest account, CD's or something with better interest than my savings acct.
"[...]listen to me one drink ain't enough you better make it three I want one bourbon, one scotch, and one beeeeer." - George Thorogood