Radiator removal

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
Radiator removal does anyone have a step by step to remove the radiator on a 2000 beetle
I don't know if there is a specific write up on this job, but I changed the radiator in a 2000 TDI Beetle I had. You can probably search on some of the individual items if need be.

Remove front fender liners
Remove headlight housings
Remove complete front fenders/front clip (all comes off together in 1 pc)
Remove front bumper

The radiator an AC condenser are screwed/sandwiched together and are mounted in the radiator support, which is mounted on the front bumper. Picture below shows front bumper already removed.

If you live in the rust belt, I'd make sure you have some good sharp drill-bits on hand, just in case.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yep, it is pretty easy just lots of little Torx scews. The front clip comes off easier with a helper. Just be sure not to tweak it too much, or the fenders can crack where they attach to the bumper cover.

Once you get that off (seriously, the hardest part of that job is the headlights :rolleyes: ), then it is simply a matter of supporting the condenser/radiator/fan assembly, removing the lock carrier and sliding it off, then while the A/C lines are attached (assuming you do not have a way to evac the system), remove the condenser from the radiator and swing it down and below the engine/trans. Then the radiator is right there.

These are really easy cars to work on once you know the tricks.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
Awesome thanks guys I got it all stripped down ended up being both ac condenser and radiator. Gotta love those Texas armadillos.
Yeah, doesn't take much to cause damage on a Beetle with only 4 inches of ground clearance. Probably ruined at least 3 valances on raccoons. Been lucky though and have not had to replace a radiator or condenser yet.

edgewatertom

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta 5spd GLS; 2010 Jetta 6spd; 2003 Golf 2DR 5spd; 2016 GMC Canyon 2.8DuraMAX
Rather than start a new thread I thought I'd ask here first.

On my 01 Jetta the bottom of the radiator is not secure and I can't figure out what's loose or what's broken or what's missing.

The top is secure and and only moves a smidgen. The bottom moves front to back about an inch. Not side to side or up and down. So much so that the large fan made enough contact with the lower radiator hose it sprung a leak.

The radiator has never been out of the car. The front end has never been off of the car.

My son and I compared it to his 03 Golf and we can't figure it out.

I know there is something different, but I can't find it. Please help, I don't want to wreck the new hose.

Last edited:

edgewatertom

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta 5spd GLS; 2010 Jetta 6spd; 2003 Golf 2DR 5spd; 2016 GMC Canyon 2.8DuraMAX
For those that are interested...I had to replace both Lower Radiator Brackets 1J0-806-157-F.

The slots in the brackets where the posts from the radiator go were no longer slots, they were ovals. Two new brackets and a bunch of wrenching later and I have a much more secure radiator.

Maybe I'll post a picture of the old and new brackets side by side later if I get bored.