Battery Problems 06 Jetta Tdi

sharkie545

TDI
06 Jetta
Car: Volkswagen jetta 06 tdi, aftermarket dash and backup camera installed.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Android-4-4-...721125?hash=item1a03d94825:g:6EIAAOSwFnFV-ReE

Hopefully someone can help me. I have been having battery problems in which after leaving my car off for 24hrs (5 - -2 degrees) my car will not have enough power to start in the morning. It tries to but not enough juice.

After a quick boost it works and if I turn it off at night say around 5pm - 6am it starts no problem.

Now the alternator has been tested which it is working good. the battery was tested was good but they gave me a replacement under warranty anyways. (so battery is 2 months old). They tested for power drain but said no problems everything was under normal (0.34A)

This either all started when I ran into a curb breaking my driver side wheel and the part that connects the wheel to the car. Or when I installed a backup camera which draws a 12v source (relay is installed). Or someone said it could be the canbus system in the aftermarket radio I installed (it seemed to just be a simple plug in and play sort of install - no need to enter radio code etc).

The backup camera was tested and there is no drain (no power) at all when car is off as soon as the car is turned on still nothing when in reverse there is power.

My power steering wheel light (electrical problem from what i read) kept coming on randomly but after tightening the grounding bolt under the air cabin housing it seemed to fix it (as of now).

Please hopefully someone can help me!!

Last edited:

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI, 2011 Touareg TDI
Most likely cause of your problem is your radio. Aftermarket radios are normally equiped to work well with the 2010 (or so) and later VW CAN systems. If you look there are issues when using a newer VW radio in cars like yours. Search for problems installing a RCD-510 or RNS-510 in a Mk5 Jetta and you should see the CAN Gateway will need updating, or you will face battery drain issues.

I've read that you can get a dealer to perform a firmware upgrade on the CAN Gateway, but I cannot confirm this. Otherwise you can just replace it with a newer one. You can search for the problem on this forum, or take a look at the issues here, under "Removing the CAN BUS gateway for your new RCD510 or RNS510 VW radio."
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/rns510-rns315-gps-or-rcd510-installation-in-a-mk5-vw/

sharkie545

TDI
06 Jetta
Most likely cause of your problem is your radio. Aftermarket radios are normally equiped to work well with the 2010 (or so) and later VW CAN systems. If you look there are issues when using a newer VW radio in cars like yours. Search for problems installing a RCD-510 or RNS-510 in a Mk5 Jetta and you should see the CAN Gateway will need updating, or you will face battery drain issues.

I've read that you can get a dealer to perform a firmware upgrade on the CAN Gateway, but I cannot confirm this. Otherwise you can just replace it with a newer one. You can search for the problem on this forum, or take a look at the issues here, under "Removing the CAN BUS gateway for your new RCD510 or RNS510 VW radio."
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/rns510-rns315-gps-or-rcd510-installation-in-a-mk5-vw/
Yea I think that is the problem I put back the old radio and it was off for almost two days 0 degrees temp and started without a problem.

I'm going to have to look into the upgrading canbus or I think I saw some trick to make radio turn off 100% with linking two fuses..