"Cold-air intakes" and "high-flow air filter" FAQ

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I'm no expert so that's why i said in my opinion...... personal opinion Is not always incorrect though...... but you seem to know more than me on tollerances.

If oem can handle 250 then people who I'd deem experts advised me to pony up money for nothing then ?
Telling me I'll maximize my potential from a tune upgrading intake and intercooler etc.....if 350 is dyno territory then wouldn't that defeat the purpose of your arguement.....because at some point they'd install what you seem to disagree with ?

It is what it is......paper oem style if you want absolute safety from silicates and if you want asthetics and woosh between gears and louder turbo spool then a good quality filter is ok like my racing line trifoam filter setup.

But again I'm no expert and will not argue to be correct........i said IMO.
Aem makes a non oiled filter kit for our cars.

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
I actually do take this with a grain of salt because it is from k&n. But the language is suggestive that they could possibly know a thing or two about their product. But then again so do pharmaceutical companies. lol

MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR INVESTIGATION
No dealership or service provider, when contacted, has ever been able to provide us with evidence to support this "myth," and in fact, our investigations have revealed that even authorized dealerships are simply speculating and do not have the test equipment necessary to know whether the sensor has failed or why. In the last 7 years, we have had more than 300 actual sensors sent to us by consumers with documents showing dealerships claimed our product had caused them to fail. Microscopic, electronic and chemical testing revealed that none of these sensors were contaminated by K&N oil (K&N Detailed MAF Sensor Test Results). What is perhaps the single biggest clue to what is going on is that over 50% of these sensors sent to us were not broken in the first place for any reason. Click here for more information on how this may happen.

The oil treatment on our cotton is very small (usually less than 2 ounces) and is a critical component of our filtration technology. There is nothing unusual about the use of oil as a tacking agent to improve air filter efficiency. In fact, certain Ford Motorcraft and Fram disposable air filters are treated with oil. This makes us wonder if it is only the oil treatment from reusable lifetime air filters that is alleged cause a vehicle problem? The idea that oil comes off our filter throughout its life is truly ridiculous. Just like oil treated disposable air filters, once our oil is properly and evenly absorbed through the cotton, no oil will come off, even under extreme engine conditions. We have even conducted a test with an over oiled K&N air filter in which we flowed 1,000 cubic feet of air per minute for over twelve hours (few cars or truck could generate even 500 cubic feet of air flow). The use of an absolute filter confirmed that no oil came off the K&N filter tested, even in these harsh conditions.

We have tested many MAF sensors claimed to be damaged. We can fully diagnose their condition and likely cause of failure. For a full discussion of our MAF sensor test protocol and findings, see K&N Mass Air Flow Testing Results and Findings.

GTD170

Veteran Member
TDI
VW GOLF GTD MK6 CR170
Microscopic, electronic and chemical testing revealed that none of these sensors were contaminated by K&N oil (K&N Detailed MAF Sensor Test Results)
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I don't even want to be involved in this debate but you sir deserve a tdiclub medal (y)(y)(y)

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
I'm actually not in debate with this. I have no bent one way or another. I'm just sharing information I found. I still haven't made up my mind exactly where I land on the whole bad on MAF sensors.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Have you even read page 1 and 2 of this sticky... sounds like you blasted through them and went right to YouTube or K&N's Q&A area where only marketing BS and a bunch of crap exists?

Motor trend, MCM and many other VERY reputable car channels have done this to death and all the results are the same from 2,000 HP beasts to your standard 85 hp 650cc motorcycle... OEM filters deliver the MOST performance with the least damage. Finnegan’s garage. Had a great bit where he added some pod filters to blasphemi and got 100 miles before oil changes vs after every event. Filters do mean everything to life of oil and engine wear. Running with no filter usually results in low performance unless trumpets are installed.

POINT is... no one here other than a few members..... and you are not them.... run enough power on some crazy engine build to give 2 craps about what filter to run... you do not have an engineering degree and work for a performance shop like papadakis racing or darkside engineering... or VW or PORSCHE or whatever.... you are just some TDI owner who things that a $50 POS from pep boys will make your woosh bigger and get all the chicks once you have all that $$$ from winning races in Tokyo against vin diesel...

Do yourself a favor and.... eh forget it.... I’ve said my piece... nothing changes that someone got paid way more than your life is worth to figure out a overkill great filter intake design that takes these cars to 600K miles and I’m sure you know better than them!

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
I actually do take this with a grain of salt because it is from k&n. But the language is suggestive that they could possibly know a thing or two about their product. But then again so do pharmaceutical companies. lol

No dealership or service provider, when contacted, has ever been able to provide us with evidence to support this "myth," and in fact, our investigations have revealed that even authorized dealerships are simply speculating and do not have the test equipment necessary to know whether the sensor has failed or why. In the last 7 years, we have had more than 300 actual sensors sent to us by consumers with documents showing dealerships claimed our product had caused them to fail. Microscopic, electronic and chemical testing revealed that none of these sensors were contaminated by K&N oil (K&N Detailed MAF Sensor Test Results). What is perhaps the single biggest clue to what is going on is that over 50% of these sensors sent to us were not broken in the first place for any reason. Click here for more information on how this may happen.

The oil treatment on our cotton is very small (usually less than 2 ounces) and is a critical component of our filtration technology. There is nothing unusual about the use of oil as a tacking agent to improve air filter efficiency. In fact, certain Ford Motorcraft and Fram disposable air filters are treated with oil. This makes us wonder if it is only the oil treatment from reusable lifetime air filters that is alleged cause a vehicle problem? The idea that oil comes off our filter throughout its life is truly ridiculous. Just like oil treated disposable air filters, once our oil is properly and evenly absorbed through the cotton, no oil will come off, even under extreme engine conditions. We have even conducted a test with an over oiled K&N air filter in which we flowed 1,000 cubic feet of air per minute for over twelve hours (few cars or truck could generate even 500 cubic feet of air flow). The use of an absolute filter confirmed that no oil came off the K&N filter tested, even in these harsh conditions.

We have tested many MAF sensors claimed to be damaged. We can fully diagnose their condition and likely cause of failure. For a full discussion of our MAF sensor test protocol and findings, see K&N Mass Air Flow Testing Results and Findings.
100% lies and false BS.
You seriously think a company that has only one goal... to sell aftermarket go fast parts.... would say anything other than good words about the product that is sold by them.... come on.... you cant be that blind!

Last edited:

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
100% lies and false BS.
You seriously think a company that has only one goal... to sell aftermarket go fast parts.... would say anything other than good words about the product that is sold by them.... come on.... you cant be that blind!
True that was my thought as well. Simple physics says it could be a problem.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
And even if the oil doesn't cause the contamination, might the GIGANTIC HOLES you can see freaking daylight through have something to do with MAF's failing?

clannnabanna

TDI
Golf 1.9tdi (mark 5)
So can somebody please send me a link to what is the best air filter i could buy for my 243bhp Leon that will not damage my MAF etc but give me best performance (im not worried about noise) ?

clannnabanna

TDI
Golf 1.9tdi (mark 5)
Care to share all your mods to reach 243 bhp ?
Do you have a cr170 turbo because they max out at 220hp ish

Check out this cr170 guide with a gtb 2260 vk turbo installed

Darkside: common rail CR tuning with gtb2260vk turbo

Stock Injectors, Stock Pump, Stock Head, Stock Cams - 235 hp
Stock Injectors, CP3 Pump, Stock Head, Stock Cams - 248.5 hp
Stock Injectors, CP3 Pump, Stock Head, Race Cams - 271.8 hp
Stage 1 Injectors
, CP3 Pump, Stock Head, Race Cams - 289.5 hp
My Leon has 243 bhp due to:
GTC1556VZ turbo (2.1 bar)
2.5" turbo back straight through exhaust
EGR delete
Upgraded turbo outlet damper
S3 alloy FMIC
4bar MAP sensor
2200 rail pressure sensor
Darkside hpfp metering valve
Remapped

Last edited:

gripp

TDI
13 Golf
My Leon has 243 bhp due to:
GTC1556VZ turbo (2.1 bar)
2.5" turbo back straight through exhaust
EGR delete
Upgraded turbo outlet damper
S3 alloy FMIC
4bar MAP sensor
2200 rail pressure sensor
Darkside hpfp metering valve
Remapped
That turbo direct bolt on?

GTD170

Veteran Member
TDI
VW GOLF GTD MK6 CR170
That turbo direct bolt on?
Xman told me it's direct bolt on.....is yours round or oval port ?

Here is the oval port direct bolt on he sells:

This is the ultimate bolt on turbo upgrade for all the oval port 2.0TDIs on Golf mk6 platform based cars.
Garrett GTC1556vz hybrid turbocharger.
It started as a GTC1549vz CR170 unit, it has been fully rebuilt, and upgraded with large 56mm 6+6 CNC cut performance billet compressor wheel.
It can produce 220-240bhp running 2-2.1bar boost max

4bar MAP sesnor and proper custom tune/remap is recommended for best results.

Please note: for engines like CR140/CR110 which are originally fitted with KKK turbos (such us CFH CFJ etc.), CR170 oil lines and boost damper will be required (can be selected as an option froma drop down list: genuine, used ones in good condition)

Stock levels may vary! Usual lead time when sold out is 2-3 weeks, please contact us to confirm stock if your order is urgent!

>>> https://www.xmanturbos.com/product-...rett-gtc1556vz-230-240bhp-hybrid-turbocharger

I was tempted myself but £800 turbo kit plus labour and remapping charge for a little more top end isn't worth it for me.
I'd much prefer to wait and grab a 2260vklr.

gripp

TDI
13 Golf
Xman told me it's direct bolt on.....is yours round or oval port ?

Here is the oval port direct bolt on he sells:

This is the ultimate bolt on turbo upgrade for all the oval port 2.0TDIs on Golf mk6 platform based cars.
Garrett GTC1556vz hybrid turbocharger.
It started as a GTC1549vz CR170 unit, it has been fully rebuilt, and upgraded with large 56mm 6+6 CNC cut performance billet compressor wheel.
It can produce 220-240bhp running 2-2.1bar boost max

4bar MAP sesnor and proper custom tune/remap is recommended for best results.

Please note: for engines like CR140/CR110 which are originally fitted with KKK turbos (such us CFH CFJ etc.), CR170 oil lines and boost damper will be required (can be selected as an option froma drop down list: genuine, used ones in good condition)

Stock levels may vary! Usual lead time when sold out is 2-3 weeks, please contact us to confirm stock if your order is urgent!

>>> https://www.xmanturbos.com/product-...rett-gtc1556vz-230-240bhp-hybrid-turbocharger

I was tempted myself but £800 turbo kit plus labour and remapping charge for a little more top end isn't worth it for me.
I'd much prefer to wait and grab a 2260vklr.
Looks like aGreat option!

13 CJAA I don't know what port style

GTD170

Veteran Member
TDI
VW GOLF GTD MK6 CR170
Looks like aGreat option!

13 CJAA I don't know what port style
Seems as your CJAA is round port and you have many options for your engine on Xman site.........just type in your CJAA in the search box.
If i was you I'd get this badboy......... GTB1756vk hybrid >>> https://www.xmanturbos.com/product-page/2-0tdi-cr140-cjaa-cbea-cbab-gtb1756vk-turbocharger >>> 230-260hp :cool: If that was available for my oval port I'd have it already.

READ DESCRIPTION though as it requires to delete egr and few other things so its not classed as direct bolt on.

Xman has 3 options all have different descriptions but this one is the direct bolt on >>> https://www.xmanturbos.com/product-page/2-0tdi-cr140-cjaa-cbea-52mm-billet-cr170-100-bolt-on-hybrid No changes required - still a decent upgrade from a cr140 - 220-230bhp

Last edited:

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi

We tested "ruined" sensors inhouse. These sensors were rumored to have failed as a result of our filters. Well in our findings, we found out filters to not be the cause.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
We tested "ruined" sensors inhouse. These sensors were rumored to have failed as a result of our filters. Well in our findings, we found out filters to not be the cause.
I have oil coming out of my 4
Bar map sensor, was a Bosch jobbie…probably might have to get a genuine Vag one…

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Hi when you say OEM filters, do you mean just the ordinary cheap ones that any mechanic would install when servicing a customers car (the orange coloured ones in UK which are about £18)?
I see darkside are fitting AEM cone filters to some of their project cars, u would think if there is no performance gain from the AEM filters over the standard out of factory panel filters - then why do they bother?
Thanks
Have you considered the HP and life expectancy of Darkside's "project cars"?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
In no way did you answer my question, but sure never worry about it.
thats because you asked a question that would be satisfied if you understood how to google the acronym "OEM"
you are getting all hyped up about a filter making power... disregarding a thread about such nonsense as to WHY to NOT install them on a car that is meant to last and be driven for anything other than 20 drag races before a rebuild.
your question is stupid and you are testing our patients with another stupid air filter question that if you took 2 seconds to read and learn for yourself you would answer.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ffs you again, you are a total slabber & always being cheeky on this forum you keyboard warrior clown! Dont bother replying cause i'll not waste my time replying to a w××ker.
PS. Learn how to spell ya pr1ck
still does not change how your ignorance to the term OEM or the inability to try and learn on your own, lead you here to make duplicate posts about stuff in a thread that literally gave you the answer on the 1st page of this sticky.

Last edited: