Engine Swap

Vernster

TDI
2001 Golf TDI
I'm looking at doing an engine swap. I got rear-ended in my 2002 Golf TDI and it was a total loss. The engine is still fine. I'm looking at a 2002 gas Golf which has an engine that doesn't run. The car looks good otherwise and I can get it for a pretty decent price. Anything I need to know that would hamper this swap? Or maybe it isn't even worth it? Both are manual transmissions. I realize I'd have to drain the fuel and install a the diesel fuel filter. What other surpirses might I encounter??? Also, any links to threads that might assist in this endeavour would also be great! Thanks.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I'm looking at doing an engine swap. I got rear-ended in my 2002 Golf TDI and it was a total loss. The engine is still fine. I'm looking at a 2002 gas Golf which has an engine that doesn't run. The car looks good otherwise and I can get it for a pretty decent price. Anything I need to know that would hamper this swap? Or maybe it isn't even worth it? Both are manual transmissions. I realize I'd have to drain the fuel and install a the diesel fuel filter. What other surpirses might I encounter??? Thanks.
Gas tank is different. Transmission gearing in the gasser is different. Gas one has vapor recovery and possibly a different fuel pump and set of lines. Computer will be different and will need the entire wiring harness and computer from the diesel. Dash gauges, wiring etc will need to be evaluated along with the immobilizer and ignition lock.

The radiator and coolant hoses may not match up. Motor mounts may be different, turbo and exhaust should be switched along with the intercooler and piping.

Lots of details. Those are just a few.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
How good a mechanic are you? How well equipped?
I would pass on doing this unless you are a decent mech and already have the
tools, place to work and the time to troubleshoot all the little things that happen.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
My gas to TDI swap went very well. I had some wiring help from a forum member on vwvortex that was relatively simple and mostly only the two harnesses from the engine compartment need to be swapped. Add a small power panel for the 109 and GP relay power, TDI ECU, gauge cluster (need an immobilizer delete at the minimum), power steering pump to rack hose, AC compressor hose, left the gasser tank in (for now, at least-it works fine it you gut the filler neck), use the TDI fuel sender, abandon a couple of the gasser vapor return lines, etc
You are in a good situation to do the swap since you have the entire donor parts chassis. W/o the whole car to yank parts from it would be a lot more challenging. Also since your donor chassis and potential finish car are the same year the chance of ECU/immobilizer "issues" with other controllers in the chassis are minimal. Everything inside my finished car including the obdll port work without ant chassis side wiring hacks.
Should really take the thread over to the "conversions" section of the forum. It's been done a lot. It's probably not "worth it", but sometimes we do it anyways. I was in the same situation. My 2003 was rearended and I found a nice 2003 1.8T car with bad motor (broken TB) for $500.

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
My general rule has always been don't build what you can buy. Time and money wise you would be much further ahead to keep looking for a TDI to put your motor in. You may even get lucky and find one that you don't have to swap.

Vernster

TDI
2001 Golf TDI
Thanks for the replies. As much as I wouldn't mind tackling this project, it sounds like I'd be better off waiting for a decent TDI body. There have been a few around, so I'll just bide my time.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I would do it since you would have all the parts from both cars. It would certainly take time. Waiting for a TDI donor car would be a waste of time as dead TDI's in clean shape are hard to come by compared to a dead gasser in clean shape. You might even be able to get the gasser for even less than $500 because there are a bunch of them the were manufactured.
  • The immobilizer would not be an issue if you change out the cluster, immobilizer receiver and the ECU. Basically, you are lifting the cars immobilizer identity from the wrecked car and putting it on the donor car.
  • The fuel tanks may well be the same so you would just swap over the fuel pump and some associated plumbing.
JettaWrecks post sound like some very good advice. Do both cars have the same transmission types? (Manual or Automatic)

Last edited:

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I would do it since you would have all the parts from both cars. It would certainly take time. Waiting for a TDI donor car would be a waste of time as dead TDI's in clean shape are hard to come by compared to a dead gasser in clean shape. You might even be able to get the gasser for even less than $500 because there are a bunch of them the were manufactured.
  • The immobilizer would not be an issue if you change out the cluster, immobilizer receiver and the ECU. Basically, you are lifting the cars immobilizer identity from the wrecked car and putting it on the donor car.
  • The fuel tanks may well be the same so you would just swap over the fuel pump and some associated plumbing.
JettaWrecks post sound like some very good advice. Do both cars have the same transmission types? (Manual or Automatic)
But...if you use the ignition, locks and key(s) from the "new" car/chassis with the "old" TDI ECU and cluster you will still need to at the minimum an immobilizer delete.
Yes, decent shape TDIs (dead or alive) in the ALH years are very, very scarce around my vicinity and that's one reason I did my swap.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Reread my post. you have to use the cluster and ecu as well as the Immobilizer part of the ignition switch and the key. No delete would be required. He would be changing the cluster and ECU from the TDI already, wouldn't he?

Last edited:

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Reread my post. you have to use the cluster and ecu as well as the Immobilizer part of the ignition switch and the key. No delete would be required. He would be changing the cluster and ECU from the TDI already, wouldn't he?
Ok, yes. Change ignition switch and use old "key" immobilizer pill. Also change door lock(s), trunk lock, misc (rear seat lock, valet lock out, etc)
I would (and did) rather pay $40 for the immobilizer delete than go thru the ignition/lock changes but however/whatever works best for each one is different.

Vernster

TDI
2001 Golf TDI
Would my engine(2002) fit in a 2005 Golf TDI? One for sale near me for a reasonable price. It's got an automatic transmission, but I'm thinking it wouldn't be too hard to put in the manual instead.

Vernster

TDI
2001 Golf TDI
I'm not sure. The seller wasn't very specific. He says it turns over and the timing belt isn't broken. It just won't start. He suspects it's a possible bent cam issue. He's asking $1800 CAD for it and I can probably get it for less.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Would my engine(2002) fit in a 2005 Golf TDI? One for sale near me for a reasonable price. It's got an automatic transmission, but I'm thinking it wouldn't be too hard to put in the manual instead.
It would fit, however, getting the wiring right would be a nightmare and if you have emission testing you would not be able to register it.