DSG Tune HPA Vs. Malone

v1k1ng01

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 4Door DSG (Sold)
Ok folks, HPA has a multiple DSG Tunes to include a stage2 diesel, but I keep hearing about DSG tuning from Malone. I have a 140CR with APR’s stage 1 ECU, and would like some recommendations for a DSG tune. Does anybody have the HPA Tune on their TDI??? Does anybody know how does it compares to Malone?

TDI-Specific Stage 2: $649
With the TDI gaining in popularity, HPA has assembled a DSG upgrade suited to the power characteristics of this fuel efficient power plant. The DSG is a brilliant piece
of technology, and HPA has now perfected its union with the TDI engine.
Torque limit is increased from 250+ ft lbs to 360+ ft lbs. HPA’s TDI DSG software has increased the DSG gearbox’s ability to transmit torque while still ensuring the stability and capability of all the mechanical moving hardware within the DSG gearbox. If you are running performance engine software, this flash is a must to ensure the DSG can make full use of your bumped up power. Otherwise, the stock DSG software is able to override your engine software once it sees power in excess of its factory programmed 258 ft lbs torque limit.
Shift response is faster and more progressive. Through our careful command of the clutch pressures, we are able to progressively increase the responsiveness of the shifters; reducing reaction times from 0.4 sec to 0.08 seconds. Under cruising and tip throttle conditions, shift response time is approximately 30% faster than factory. From half load to full throttle, it is nearly 70% faster to respond. This means less lag when working the paddles; and more consistent and predictable shifting when you need it.
Automatic shifting in M mode is disabled. HPA gives you back true control when running in manual mode. No longer will the TDI up-shift or down-shift at inopportune times while in M mode once the annoying auto up-shift and kick down are disabled.

http://www.hpamotorsport.com/dsg-stages.htm

VS.

Additional Feature
Engine - All Engines
Tune - DSG Transmission Software Update
DESCRIPTION - Required for all American CR TDIs, all Canadian CR TDIs, and some International CR TDIs with DSG, before using any of our performance engine tunes. The factory DSG software’s torque limitation is below our Stage 1 engine torque. Without a DSG software update your shifting quality may be degraded and you will not realize the full potential of our performance tunes.Our DSG software update has the following features: Raised torque limit, gear shifts remain smooth, shift points are optimized for faster acceleration, manual kick-down mode is disabled, and in some cases launch control is added.
The DSG tune can be installed by one of our dealers (appointment required) or by renting our DSG flash tool ($2000 deposit required). Click here to see DSG flashing instructions and click here to add yourself to the DSG flash tool rental wait list.
Price - $499

http://malonetuning.com/?page_id=564

Last edited:

TNriverjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6MT
Coke vs. Pepsi
:confused::confused::confused:
Ford vs. Chevy
:confused::confused::confused:
I vote Malone
:D:D:D:D
However, APR says a DSG tune is not necessary.

robnitro

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI GLS silver
Pretty crazy the prices on tuning DSG software, which I would figure is less complicated than tuning an ECU!

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
However, APR says a DSG tune is not necessary.
There are many things in life that people want that are not necessary. In the case of a DSG tune, if you have an ECU tune - it is often recommended. However, like many other things, it is not necessary. With a tuned ECU and an untuned DSG, you will just have to get used to the DSG controller limiting torque every time the DSG shifts. In normal street driving, this is not so bad. However, if you are really enjoying the extra power afforded by the ECU tune, it can be quite annoying. Whether it is necessary or not is very much a matter of opinion, and (as usual) opinions vary.

Have Fun!

Don

v1k1ng01

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 4Door DSG (Sold)
There are many things in life that people want that are not necessary. In the case of a DSG tune, if you have an ECU tune - it is often recommended. However, like many other things, it is not necessary. With a tuned ECU and an untuned DSG, you will just have to get used to the DSG controller limiting torque every time the DSG shifts. In normal street driving, this is not so bad. However, if you are really enjoying the extra power afforded by the ECU tune, it can be quite annoying. Whether it is necessary or not is very much a matter of opinion, and (as usual) opinions vary.

Have Fun!

Don
Hi Don,

You are exactly right! I may have the APR Tune and though I think they did a wonderful job with it, I have noticed issues pointed out by other people who tuned their ECU's and not their DSG's. Hesitation, odd shifting, unwanted upshift and kick-down at un oppertune times.

I hear alot of hype about Malone's products, and I believe they have done a great job producing products specifically for Diesels, but has anybody tried HPA's DSG Tune yet??? I read in Euro Tuner all the time about their impressive feats of enginering with VW's and Audi's. I was wondering if anybody had some feedback to compaire?

Charrigan

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
HPA is one of the first to tune and one of the only ones who modify dsg's. they have the most high HP dsg's on the road. I would spend my money on the company who has the most experience with dsg's.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
... but has anybody tried HPA's DSG Tune yet??? I read in Euro Tuner all the time about their impressive feats of enginering with VW's and Audi's. I was wondering if anybody had some feedback to compaire?

I know we have members who have HPA's DSG tune, and we have members with Malone's DSG tune. The problem is that nobody has had both (as you know, they are not cheap). This makes any comparison difficult to do. It would be nice if one Jetta owner got an HPA DSG tune and another (otherwise identical Jetta) owner got a Malone DSG tune, and then both got the same ECU tune. Then they could swap cars and drive each other's car and a real comparison could be made. I'm not holding my breath for this to happen. I would guess that both accomplish the same things. They raise torque limits and restore Launch Control. In my opinion, the really important question will take years to answer. That question is: How does a DSG and ECU tune effect the life of the DSG's clutches and other components? If there are any, I believe that this is where any differences between Malone's and HPA's DSG tune will show up. Only time will tell.

Have Fun!

Don