New wheels?

pbkid6974

TDI
none yet
Just picked up a CPO 2015 jetta sel 6mt with 68k for $12 otd. A couple of the wheels have some curb rash. Just wondering what you guys here think are some decent and not too expensive wheel options? The car came with 2 winter tires so I'll just get 2 more and keep the rashed up ones for the winter tires.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Congrats on the new TDI. Are you looking for OE? What size? For economy or performance or aesthetics? The vortex is usually better for this type of question, but I'm posting since I'm parting with my OE 17" wheels. They are Genevas, 5x112, 17x7, ET 49mm, with original all-season tires in 225/45. There is less than 15k miles on both wheels and tires. Otherwise I always stick with VW wheels, since I can't stand the design of most aftermarket wheels.

pbkid6974

TDI
none yet
Factory OE seems to be expensive. And I'm not sure I trust replicas. And since the whole purpose is to clean up looks I'm not really sure I want to buy someone's used without seeing them in person first. I'm not looking to change the ride, just want to clean up the appearance and to keep the winter tires mounted on the old ones. So 17x7 or 17x8, 5x112

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You can fix small curb rash fairly easily as a DIY. Wurth and 1Z used to sell kits just for German wheels, but it takes a bit of searching to find those now. There's a good how-to over at the Vortex. I can't speak to choosing aftermarket wheels, I only use VW. You can find perfect OE wheels on Craigslist or at the Vortex. They usually come off in the first year, sold for cheap, and replaced with inferior quality rims that garner looks.

pbkid6974

TDI
none yet
Yea this is gouged metal, not just some light curb rash. It isn't going to clean up. I would rather have another set of wheels anyway for the winter tires. My plan before I bought this car was to just get some cheap steelies for winter but since these are ruined cosmetically I'll just use them and get something nicer for summer.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gouges can be filled, sanded, and painted. In the big scheme of things, it's not a hard DIY. Certainly this has no impact on wanting another set of wheels. We have a second set for three cars with Nokian Hakkas for the winter, but that's more about not wanting to mount/dismount tires every season than about aesthetics.

https://1z-usa.com/how-to-fix-wheel-curb-rash/

I'd suggest checking the wheel threads/classifieds at the vortex, those owners changes wheels with each oil change. If you feel new OE is too expensive, don't trust replicas, and need to see used wheels in person, you'll likely get some ideas or leads from them.

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
+1 on VWwhoretex classifieds. Good deals can be found, although the group isn't what it once was.

I had found a 16" set of OE GTI wheels way back when, among the best $400 I spent on my MK4. You may get lucky.

pbkid6974

TDI
none yet
+1 on VWwhoretex classifieds. Good deals can be found, although the group isn't what it once was.

I had found a 16" set of OE GTI wheels way back when, among the best $400 I spent on my MK4. You may get lucky.
Yea I signed up over there but never got a verification email. Can't post or pm any of the ads I'm interested in. There are a few sets that seem decent.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Go on car-part.com and find wheels like yours from a wreck. Finding two should be easy.