Worth a retune? Next step?

Turbski

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Hi all,

I have a few questions about what to do next/ if my current changes are worth the cost of a retune or if it won't matter. Currently running malone tune stage 3 (I have 3.5 but EGTs were higher than comfortable), SBC Daily Stage 2 clutch kit w/DMF, CR170, Rawtek turbo back 3" exhaust w/ high flow cat and resonator, DPF and EGR delete, stock IC. I just received the KermaTDI intercooler with hoses, as mine have been leaking down to 16psi since a couple of weeks ago and I was definitely feeling the heat soak before that. I do plan on going back to stage 3.5 afterwards. I have a buddy (doesn't have a lot of tuning knowledge) who says I should get another tune since the stock IC was bottlenecking me. I'm fairly certain it isn't a big enough difference to merit a tune, as it probably won't get me much further. I did find a shop in Denver that will do a tune competitively priced with Malone, and offers a retune later for 100. The retune factors in big time for me as I'm traveling 3,000 miles round trip for a wedding, which puts me within 1k miles of the timing belt service. I plan on swapping to darksides CP3 kit when I do it so I don't have to chance a CP4 failure, which is original to the car. Obviously, the HPFP will require a tune to work. I also plan on continuing to build it with a GTD turbo and stage 2 injectors down the road. Should I get a tune now and pay another 100 down the road or should I wait and just rock the 3.5 for now? I would want a gain of another 30+ ft-lb of torque minimum if I was going to tune now. Thanks for any info!

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
My advice: make your hardware mods first, then tune to match. Save your coin by not doing incremental writes/rewrites.

And if you're happy with Malone, why not stick to it and get a custom tune made? I'm sure that can be accomplished.

Good luck in your search for moar powa!

Turbski

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Thanks will do! I do really like the Malone tune, but feel tuning it on a dyno will probably get better/faster results, especially considering when the injectors and HPFP need to be tuned as Darkside does not have tables for them.