Engine sound not sure if normal?

xadzer

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Jetta 1.9 TDI
https://youtu.be/D7dUeqkMaFc This video shows the sound im talking about, not the diesel sound but the other hard to describe rhythmic sorta sound, my car makes the same sound at idle is this normal behavior for a 1.9 tdi? Thanks.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
sounds normal, get a mechanics stethoscope and start listening to things. a bit tappy but its usually normal, if you have low oil PSI, (you need a gauge for that, then the valve lifters are probably worn down, you can also try doing a liquid molly purge set up and see if it clears up any, meaning the IP has some wear but again, sounds typical to me

dutch.mafia

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
Yeah I agree. Sounds almost like the injectors or pump. If it’s not causing issue, I wouldn’t worry about it at this point. But I’m no mechanic, so there’s that. Is it only coming from that side? Or just in the engine bay?

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
You can definitely hear 2 different songs going on . First thing to do is remove the accessory belt, most likely it an alternator pulley or something like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xadzer

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Jetta 1.9 TDI
Yeah I agree. Sounds almost like the injectors or pump. If it’s not causing issue, I wouldn’t worry about it at this point. But I’m no mechanic, so there’s that. Is it only coming from that side? Or just in the engine bay?
Yeah no issues, you can hear it as soon as you open the hood. Ive seen other videos with the same sound maybe normal?

xadzer

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Jetta 1.9 TDI
You can definitely hear 2 different songs going on . First thing to do is remove the accessory belt, most likely it an alternator pulley or something like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe, the serpetine belt is pretty loud itself it has a raspy sorta sound.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Any ideas? Still making the sound on idle and its annoying me.
You were given advice to run the car without the serpentine belt. It would eliminate noises from those pulleys in the path of the belt. Have you done this to see if the sound goes away?

xadzer

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Jetta 1.9 TDI
You were given advice to run the car without the serpentine belt. It would eliminate noises from those pulleys in the path of the belt. Have you done this to see if the sound goes away?
Yeah still there.