Driving with leaky injector pump

dugawug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS
Noticed a bit of diesel below my golf TDI and mechanic confirmed my injector pump is leaking a little. I have to wait a few weeks for their pro to come back and determine if a reseal will do the trick, or if we must rebuild it.

I have a road trip planned for tomorrow of course that would be about a four hour drive. The mechanic said it’s ok to drive on it but curious what you all think? Four hour drive, hot as hell with maybe a few drops of diesel dripping out every hour.

God help me I may have to take the wife’s Prius instead. :eek:

Prairieview

Veteran Member
TDI
Two 2000 Beetles, 2002 Jetta, 2002 gas avh Jetta, fleet of older 1.6 turbo and non's
A consideration is, are the rubber components in the vicinity of the pump getting wetted (saturated) with diesel fuel? The diesel will destroy them over time.

Another consideration is just how bad is the smell of the hot-evaporating fuel? At slow speeds, the smell may overwhelm in the cab of the car, etc.

Once you get to your destination, will you be parking on someone's nice driveway?

dugawug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS
Great considerations @Prairieview - I figure the risk to nearby rubber remains road trip or not. So far no smell in the cabin even at low speeds and not parking anywhere spectacular that can’t stand a little diesel spillage.

As usual, reading online you can find any info you want and found a bunch of people saying my situation is insanity and equals a death wish.

But really - a road trip in a Prius without my sound system is akin to insanity as well. LOL

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
dugawug,
FWIW, I've recently experienced the same maybe even faster leak than you describe. I switched from B99 (Biodiesel 99%) fuel to ULSD (normal diesel #2) for a couple tanks and of course my seals shrunk up and I had some dripping. Siphoned it out, and conveniently my '01 was almost empty so I transferred it. The '01 is used to D#2.
My leak (and attendant smoky start-up) went away immediately.
I knew about this phenomenon, but seeing is believing.

This is actually real:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPk94mQyack
Hopefully you have time to try this out. And hopefully B99 is still available in your area.
Anyway, safe travels!
EDIT: Yeah, the smoke came back but no leaks.

Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
i would not, i just helped out a member who has the same issue, and let it go for a while and it cause massive amounts of damage. take it from Mark6, dont drive it, the seals are easy to replace and for now your at only that repair. remember to mark the LOWER QA to the pump, not the upper to the hat like he did, unless you have the cable and VCDS?

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
the seals are easy to replace

"Easy" is a relative term. I'm sure a Bosch technician would have a walk in the park with it. It's not hard to F the job right up good. Why does dieselgeek include 2 O-rings in their kit? Oh yeah - really easy to damage it "your first time".
Could you describe the "massive amounts of damage"?
I'm genuinely curious!

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
The other problem is any leak from the distribution end will probably hit the hose that goes from the hard line beside the injection pump to the bottom of the coolant recovery tank. A hose hit by diesel will soften and fail (ask me how I know). And the newer the hose, the faster it will fail.

Good luck,

PH

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
the seals are easy to replace

"Easy" is a relative term. I'm sure a Bosch technician would have a walk in the park with it. It's not hard to F the job right up good. Why does dieselgeek include 2 O-rings in their kit? Oh yeah - really easy to damage it "your first time".
Could you describe the "massive amounts of damage"?
I'm genuinely curious!
look at mark6's last few threads. i personally drove up to PA to help him, he was 1 hour away.
in a nut shell, untended leaking IP, caused coolant leak that lead to an over heat and a head gasket failure as he was driving it. it also ate though the insulation on the IP's main harness and where its close to the starter it ended up rubbing though the now soft wire casing and protection and caused him to have one heck of a head scratching issue with not getting 5v signal from the ips sweep on the needle. i helped him out for days trying to figure it out and the first thing i said was (trace all your IP's wires for a brake) after 3 days of working on it he found it where i described. took the car down for weeks, all because of a dumb leaking ip.
its defiantly not easy as an oil change, but if you follow the guide and dont back those bolts out more than you need and you DONT drop that shim washer out of the cam, its a relatively easy 2.5 out of 10 difficulty jobs that if not done now, could strand someone on their road trip, NOT WORTH IT.

OP, in the time being, put some old socks that you fill with kitty litter and tied off, UNDER the IP and around things that it could leak on for now and drive the prius.
i had a leaking IP and i drove it for about 2000 miles before i could fix it and i didnt have any issued but its was only wetness, no drips.
I forget how bad mark6's leak was but it must have been a doozy to cause this much fuss.

fun part was that he forgot the mark the body to the QA like i mentioned vs the QA to the hat and he put it back to about 4.5 when i got there with my cable. so not bad on his part! his timing is a bit low on the retard on the graph but its fine.

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
Oh my:(
Well, that's partly why I tossed my engine cover.
I look my motors over just about every weekend to check for
brewing troubles. Just so glad B99 could band-aid my leaky IP
until I can pay to get it fixed up properly. Maybe by then I'll work
up the guts to tackle it myself. Then again having DFIS in my
backyard makes that route pretty tempting. I could get a complete work over for it.