Beetle ALH TDi - remove turbo out the top or bottom?

How do you remove your turbo?

• Take it out the top, no need to remove intake manifold.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Take it out the bottom, no axle disconnect, just wiggle it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ufobug

TDI
03 Beetle
I've finally decided all the white smoke is from bad turbo seals.
I have a replacement turbo, a turbo gasket kit from IDParts, and a new oil line from Darkside Developments.
I've got the old turbo loose - gosh that was fun.
Now how the flup do I get it out of the car?
I've been searching postings here and elsewhere for nearly an hour - lots of "remove all the bolts" threads, but they all jump from "last bolt out" to "turbo on the bench" without saying how it came out. Rrrrgh.
So once it's loose in the car:
Do you take the turbo out the bottom, maybe loosen the CV to move the axle out of the way?
Or do you take the turbo out the top, removing the intake manifold to make room?
I'm trying to avoid starting to do it one way only to find out I have to go the other. Thanks all.

vwxyzero

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat Sedan, '96 TDI Passat Wagon, & Jetta Sedan, '83 Turbodiesel (IDI)
Quick search on Google, with TDIClub in the search. Sometime Google works better than the TDIClub search engine. At some point a long time ago one of the members created a link especially for searches like this, but Google seems to do the job just fine:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=397182

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

ufobug

TDI
03 Beetle
Thanks for the link vwxyzero.

So it's playing out like this: Removed intake manifold, then found out the EGR cooler has to come off before the intake can come out. It's harder to take off with the intake loose, so take it off before removing intake bolts. >:-(
Remove intake manifold.
Try to take turbo out the top: Doesn't fit. >:-(
Removing VNT actuator will hopefully make it small enough to take out... of course removing that is harder with the turbo loose >:-(

This job sucks.
If I had it to do over again I'd probably cut to the @#$% chase: pull the front clip and yank the @#$% engine.

vwxyzero

Veteran Member
TDI
This job sucks.
Yep. I hear you.

What I was trying to do was get you to search more, not take this as gospel. It's one of many links I found searching the way I suggested, using Google rather than the built in search engine.

One of the other links I found on a quick search was YouTube, and the guy was dropping it out the bottom in a TDI beetle. Seemed like a huge PITA too - dropping the CV joint on the trans. Link was in my history, but I'm not suggesting this is the correct procedure either. Have a look. Hopefully you also get some feedback from a member that owns a new beetle TDI.

Again not gospel, I don't own a TDI Beetle as I mentioned before.

YouTube link (not the word of God):

https://youtu.be/gOvhuIk-fK0

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
hook up a chain around the engine top to bottom, attached said chain to a tree and back up REALLY FAST

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
Remove the cowling that sits above the back of the engine. Beetles have this but the golfs and jettas don't.

Then try what Mongler said;)

vwxyzero

Veteran Member
TDI
Remove the cowling that sits above the back of the engine. Beetles have this but the golfs and jettas don't.

Then try what Mongler said;)
Cowling because he more than likely knows what he's talking about, he owns a New Beetle TDI.

LMAO on the chain and tree method. Jeez Mongler98 give the kid a break.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
Yes, you have to remove the wipers, lift the plastic cowl cover carefully out of the channel in the windshield, detach the N75/N218 holder from the cowling by removing its 2 acorn nuts, unclip the bundle of vacuum lines that are also attached to it and finally remove the black metal cowling on a NB with its two end bolts and a support bracket in the middle.

once you do this, (takes 5-10 minutes the first time) there's PLENTY of room for all of the activities. Intake manifold with EGR cooler attached, no sweat, Turbo out the top.. easy peasy.

Good luck. Have fun.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
These are pretty easy cars to work on, really. The cowl comes out easy and then you have almost as much room back there as on the G/J.

Also remember, removing the roll mount fasteners underneath allows the engine/trans to rock back and forth, giving more room for certain operations.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
When I first got my beetle I only had a Bentley manual for the golf/jetta - so I had no idea about that cowl piece. I pulled the cylinder head with the turbo and intake still attached. (motor was trashed). Rebuilt it and reinstalled everything in order - still with the cowl in place.

Later when I needed to pull that turbo I knew about the cowl - what a difference! (plus having the EGR deleted makes it a breeze).

ufobug

TDI
03 Beetle
Dang - I didn't think of pulling that cowling piece.

Like I posted above, intake and turbo came out after taking them freakin' apart... I may try pulling that cowling so I can reinstall without the shoehorn.

The good news is the removed "old" turbo is clearly the cause of the smokies, its turbine shaft wobbles around loose and has about a quarter-inch of endplay. Yikes!

Thanks to all that chipped in with answers!

vwxyzero

Veteran Member
TDI
Dang - I didn't think of pulling that cowling piece.

Thanks to all that chipped in with answers!
Hey man sorry the TDIClub link I found for you only got you part way through that job.

Pay attention to Oil Hammer, and Growler, they've been here a long time, know what they're talking about, and their knowledge is Invaluable.

Good luck getting it back on the road!

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Factory repair manual says pull from the bottom by removing CV. After doing it that way, I've definitely found it easier. But, if the intake does need to be removed and cleaned, then doing it from the top isn't a bad thing.

Though, at the same time, it's almost easier to take the intake out from underneath with the CV axle removed and the turbo already removed, so there's that... But, if you don't have a hoist where you can stand upright underneath the car, it would make one reconsider how you go about it. With the hoist, going from underneath is not only easier, it's nicer to your body.

On jack stands, debatable, but I've done them from underneath on stands too. Not all that bad.