Doors unlocking self

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Whenever I get home, I check for the little flashing red light on all of my VWs due to past break ins. Twice in the last week I've found my wife's car unlocked. She swears up and down she's locked it, and even found it unlocked once at work.

Is there an auto lock feature, like the older cars where if you hit unlock, but didn't open the doors, that it'll relock itself? And is there something going on that it shouldn't be doing? Tried searching, found something about water leaks in a door causing goofy issues, but that's all.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Yes, modern Vw's (since the MkIV in 1999) have had auto re-lock.

If the door is not opened 30 seconds after unlocking, it will lock itself.

On modern cars with KESSY, the car will not lock if it detects the key in the car.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
are you sure the doors are all locking? motor mechanisms in the doors typically fail. If the red light on the door stays on solid after locking the car, there's a door that hasn't locked.

USMCFieldMP

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
I feel like this has happened with my car occasionally. There have been times that I KNOW I have locked the doors before going inside... and then when I go back out to the car and hit unlock, and the sound of the car unlocking is the same sound it makes when the doors are already unlocked. I haven't attempted to verify with the blinking light or anything, this is simply based on the sound of the doors unlocking - it is distinctly different when the doors are already unlocked and you hit the unlock button.

2014 Jetta though; not Passat.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Yes, red light is blinking. Go out an hour later, and it's no longer blinking. Pull the handle, and she opens. My wife said she changed a setting on the FIS, not sure what yet, but hasn't happened again yet, knock on wood.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Yes, red light is blinking. Go out an hour later, and it's no longer blinking. Pull the handle, and she opens. My wife said she changed a setting on the FIS, not sure what yet, but hasn't happened again yet, knock on wood.
If its no longer blinking, then it's detecting all doors not locked. After locking, I'd say try each handle after locking and seeing which one is sticking (obviously without kessy near by).