Solid rear LCA bushings?

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
I'm looking for a set of OEM VW solid lower control arm bushings to install in my Passat. I've found a nice long thread from vortex, but it's for the mk5 cars and the factory bushings seem to have a different part number. BUT.....

If I dig a bit further, it looks like my bushings are shared with the MK6 Jetta's, but if i go onto ECS and look at the aftermarket stuff, they are selling the bushings for virtually all VW models except a Passat B7 (or NMS)

I'm not looking for poly - the roads are too round up here for that level of stiff.

Is anyone aware of a part number that might work?

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
The factory bushings in my car are 5C0407183A

Golf R bushings are 5Q0407183E

Euro S3 bushings are 5Q0407183F

RS3 bushings are 81A407183

I'm thinking the Golf R bushings are likely stiffer? RS3 even more?

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
what generation/platform are you looking at? should be anything that crosses with a Mk5

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
what generation/platform are you looking at? should be anything that crosses with a Mk5
Incorrect sir.

The MkV bushings are the the ones with the metal bracket that slide ONTO the control arm horizontally.

The NMS Passat uses more like the MkIV where they are a hockey puck that are inserted INTO the control arm vertically.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Incorrect sir.
The MkV bushings are the the ones with the metal bracket that slide ONTO the control arm horizontally.
The NMS Passat uses more like the MkIV where they are a hockey puck that are inserted INTO the control arm vertically.
didn't mkiv have torsion bar based rear suspension and the NMS have mk5 based IRS?

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
didn't mkiv have torsion bar based rear suspension and the NMS have mk5 based IRS?
Yes, and I think that's where the confusion is coming into play.

I'm pretty sure the OP is asking about the rear bushing on the front control arms. In the front suspension pieces, not the rear.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
whoops, my bad

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
and update on pressing those old bushings out and installing the new ones?

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
and update on pressing those old bushings out and installing the new ones?
I ordered the new parts from my local VW dealer who promised that they'd take them back if there was an issue (assuming i didn't damage them). I think they're also curious about if this will work.

Unfortunately, I was out of town on vacation last week (by plane), and i'm heading out on the road for work tomorrow for the rest of the week. I'm hoping to get into the car on Saturday at home, but if not, it'll be the week after.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yeah, the NMS went back to the problematic bushing setup like the older cars. And guess what? They are problematic. I've already replaced a few. What sucks is, the control arms are a bit tricky to get out, as they fit into more of a pocket than you'd see on an A4 G/J/NB for instance.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Looks like mk7 has similar type style as well.

When you say "problematic" is it just cause they fail earlier than mk5 style?

For DSG cars did you have to rock the engine forward on the drivers side for the bolt to clear?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well i'm curious if these MQB bushings OP ordered will work out for him.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
Update: Both the bushings were installed today. Arms are going back into the car tomorrow. I was sure I'd be able to get the bushings out without the use of a press, but gave up and ended up going to a friends to have them pushed in and out.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
Not surprisingly, oilhammer was right - i had to lower the subframe in order to get the arms back in. Unfortunately, this screwed up my alignment - i'll have to get that redone before i chew up my tires.
A quick roadtest up to 90 kph showed that my vibration was gone. I also feel like the steering is more direct. But it didn't resolve a high pitched squeak over bumps, nor a very subtle 'clunk' that i can't reliably reproduce
[url=http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.php?photo=132127&title=2019-07-27-14-09-59&cat=500][/URL]

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
check out sway bar end links for clunks.

Ironman24

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat TDI DSG
This is for the rear bushing on the front control arm that is prone to failure?

I put Audi TT bushings in my last Jetta and was looking for a better rubber upgrade that is similar. No need to put the stock replacements in there if I have to replace them again in 50K miles.

I have a steering wheel vibration issue around 70-75 mph on my 2015 and pretty sure this is my problem as well.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
This is for the rear bushing on the front control arm that is prone to failure?
I put Audi TT bushings in my last Jetta and was looking for a better rubber upgrade that is similar. No need to put the stock replacements in there if I have to replace them again in 50K miles.
I have a steering wheel vibration issue around 70-75 mph on my 2015 and pretty sure this is my problem as well.
I'm not sure how prone to failure they are. I've spoken to a bunch of owners and VW techs up here who haven't heard of an issue, but they can't really argue with my pics.