Crank, no start, no indicator lights on dash except battery.

frank_h71

TDI
2015 Passat SEL TDI, 2014 Beetle Convertible TDI "Molly's Ride", & 2004 Jetta Wagon TDI my commute car
All,
I have a 2004 BEW 5 speed Jetta Wagon. I has about 260K on the ticker.
I have had it for about a year and it have put about 20K on it myself. Most all maintenance is up to date. Gonna need a basic service soon.

Here is what happened this morning. I went out to head to work. Usual Monday morning.

1. I tried to start the engine. It started. DRL's came on. I slide it into REV and the engine dies.

2. Crank it again. It starts. Start to let the clutch out it dies.

3. Think I might need to glow. Maybe? Temp in upper 40s to lower 50s and haven't started since Thursday afternoon when I got home from work. Turn on key. Notice no glow light. Look a little closer and don't have any indicator lights except battery. I didn't even have a odometer or clock in dash. I go ahead and give it a crank it starts and dies in about 3 seconds.

4. Will continue to crank with no start after this. Had to push out of the way of the wife's beetle and even with the key on the windows would not roll down.

I didn't have time to check anything. My thoughts in order are:

Ignition switch not making ignition circuit. Maybe a fuse, but shouldn't I have a odometer? Might have been to dark to see it this morning.

No power to ECM/PCM "brain", but would it crank?

Mystery open fuse link?

Let me know your thoughts?

Headed home to check on the waggy. Got an hour to think about it. Don't know if VCDS will tell me anything if no ECM/PCM power from ignition.

Thanks,
Frank

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Sounds like a dead battery kind of situation, but since it's cranking, it's not. Check the fuse panel on top of the battery, see if one of the fuses melted.

frank_h71

TDI
2015 Passat SEL TDI, 2014 Beetle Convertible TDI "Molly's Ride", & 2004 Jetta Wagon TDI my commute car
Well I'm home. No clock or odometer on the dash. VCDS will not communicate with any module except ABS. I had to turn off key for it to try the airbag module still no comm with airbag. My whole scan report.

Monday,22,April,2019,19:02:57:38116
VCDS -- Windows Based VAG/VAS Emulator Running on Windows 7 x64
VCDS Version: 18.9.1.0 (x64)
Data version: 20190114 DS296.0
www.Ross-Tech.com

Chassis Type: 9M - VW Jetta IV (1998 > 2014)
Scan: 01 02 03 08 09 15 16 17 19 22 29 35 36 37 39 46 47 55 56 57
75 76

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: 1C0-907-37x-ABS.lbl
Part No: 1C0 907 379 L
Component: ABS FRONT MK60 0101
Coding: 0001025
Shop #: WSC 01266 785 00200
VCID: 336F2C8A51A18CD210-5122
No fault code found.
End-------------------------(Elapsed Time: 07:38)--------------------------

The fuse links on top of battery all look and check good. 12.5 VDC on battery. Can't find my power probe so I'm going with multi-meter to fuse panel. All looks good in there.

Any more suggestions?

TheBish

TDI
05 jetta auto
This is what I'm experiencing please tell me what you came up with.

frank_h71

TDI
All,
An update on the 2004 waggy.

Last summer it was in the way. I needed to move it so I could get a spot cleaned out in the garage to park it inside to become the main project. I asked Molly to come out to help me hook the tractor to it to pull it out of the way. I told her to push the clutch in and turn the key on so she could steer. She turned the call all the way and it FIRED RIGHT UP!!!!!! I stood there looking dumbfounded for about a minute. She asked me why I needed her help. I asked her to turn it off and then restart it. IT FIRED RIGHT UP AGAIN!!!!!! I have been driving it since. Knock on wood. I have no idea what happened. All I can say is my memory of the last day I last drove it was very rainy and wet. I didn't try to dive it again for three days. That is when it wouldn't start. I guess something got very wet and dried out over a couple months. Another notice is when I bought it, it had no under engine belly pan. About a month after I started driving her again. I installed a Diesekgeek Panzer Plate with Full Metal Jacket side skirts. The old Waggy is still klicking along 110 miles plus each week day.

Thank you all for the prayers and information.

Stay Safe. Stay Healthy.
Frank

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Turn on key. Notice no glow light. Look a little closer and don't have any indicator lights except battery. I didn't even have a odometer or clock in dash.
If you did not get the GP light it sounds like relay 109 is bad or it is not getting power to activate it.

Probably why you can't connect to the modules but ABS has my confused.
I would think it should have been out.

You also mentioned the fuses "All looks good"
I've read some fuses crack and look good but are open.
Power light or meter is better.