Building an 04+ pd motor for power, i.e. drag, racing etc.

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
ahu mtdi samurai swap, 1991 jetta ecodiesel
So, one of my buddies presented me with a great idea. A tdi swap into an awd car of some sort, using a built pump deuse motor. I love the idea, so I thought I would ask here. What kind of power and torque can these motors push without going completely aftermarket, using a tune, injectors, and pretty much the basics without shelling out too much money? I thought I saw somebody on here with a jetta that was around 350-400 hp, but I'm pretty sure he had major mods done. Ideas?

rspring

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta CR; 2011 BMW 335D
You are welcome to look at my build thread, RTDI in this section, but your question is kind of vague. For AWD, it is best to start with an AWD chassis. Recommend VAG for interchangeability. So, either a Audi Quattro chassis or VW R-series chassis. B5 A4chassis offer a lot.... S4 even more. A BHW block with BEW oiling and BEW injectors with FIRAD nozzles, GTB2260VK or bigger will make lots of power. Transmission choice is important. BHW harmonics seem to eat 01E's, but there is probably a solution. I think the answer is the old hot rodder saying, "fast, cheap, or easy - but you can only pick two". Or maybe that was dating advice...

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
Well it would likely be swapped into something else. I was thinking a Subaru wagon awd.

rspring

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta CR; 2011 BMW 335D
I think you will have a very tough time with the engine height in that application. Subaru's use a Boxer engine and have very low hood to suspension space.

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
I think you will have a very tough time with the engine height in that application. Subaru's use a Boxer engine and have very low hood to suspension space.
I know, I'm just tossing around ideas.

ToyotaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1988 4Runner AHU
I think one of your biggest hurdles will be finding an awd drivetrain that can handle 400hp diesel abuse. Subies already crack up with gas motors.

Maybe the dsm guys have something though??

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
I think one of your biggest hurdles will be finding an awd drivetrain that can handle 400hp diesel abuse. Subies already crack up with gas motors.

Maybe the dsm guys have something though??
Nah, I doubt it. I do have an idea, which involves using a ford manual transmission, backed by a manual transmission (not sure what yet), but use a 96-99 v8 explorer awd full time transfercase. They are big and bulky, but they would probably do better than some of the smaller stuff....maybe.