Shock judgment in the diesel scandal: VW software update is also manipulated

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Knaller-Urteil im Diesel-Skandal: Auch VW Software Update ist manipuliert (wallstreet:eek:nline, German)

Translated snippet:
Thus, the diesel scandal starts almost from the beginning: The Düsseldorf district court has decided in a remarkable judgment that the software update, with the Volkswagen actually wanted to end the exhaust manipulation, also contains an inadmissible defeat device. With that, hundreds of thousands of diesel owners could now be entitled to compensation.
Apparently the European-market "fix" for EA189s had another defeat device in it, shutting the emissions controls off below 10 °C (50 °F), above 32 °C (90 °F), or above 1000 m (3281 ft).

(I think I got the title translated vaguely correctly thanks to German Wiktionary - Google didn't quite get "Knaller-Urteil" translated all the way.)

A link to the ruling itself, also in German: https://openjur.de/u/2178263.html

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I don't know about there, but here some of those kinds of things have been allowed if they were disclosed upfront and had good reasons for doing it. Have to wait and see what pans out.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I'm really not surprised. The hubris flows freely from a bottomless well in Wolfsburg.

Takuhari

TDI
Manual 2010 Golf TDi Manual 2015 Golf TDi
I think they still need to resolve the denials or unclaimed within the states. There are still many cars on the road that were either denied or not registered on time. These cars need to be addressed as well or they will still be politing down the roads.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
There is no legal requireme t inthe US for anyone to have done the mods, so not sure that dog will hunt. Most folks simply did it because thry got money thry didn't have to earn . . .

bhtooefr

TDI
None
I recall a requirement on Volkswagen's part that 85% of the cars either be fixed or bought back (for either fixing or destruction) - my guess, given that they're not going past the deadlines, is that the 85% target has been hit.

where2

Veteran Member
TDI
One '13 JSW_TDI & One '04 Variant_TDI
The inside of the tailpipe of my wife's post-fix 2013 JSW_TDI is shiny and clean, unlike the pair of 2006 TDIs we had prior to it... I tend to "drive it like I stole it" whenever I get the chance to see if I can get the tailpipe sooted up.

Where does the soot actually go on a 2013 with no DEF system? Is there a DPF, or is the combination of the better flowing head, and different fuel maps sufficient to do away with the soot we saw on the MkIV (BEW) and early MkV (BRM) PD engines??

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Particulate matter was never an issue with these engines, FWIW - all of the US-market 2007+ TDIs (as well as the 2006 Touareg V10 TDI) have diesel particulate filters, and Volkswagen never cheated on particulate emissions. (It is possible for the DPF to physically fail, causing there to be soot in the tail pipe, but that's not cheating, that's a failure.)

All of Volkswagen's cheating was focused on nitrogen oxides.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
The inside of the tailpipe of my wife's post-fix 2013 JSW_TDI is shiny and clean, unlike the pair of 2006 TDIs we had prior to it... I tend to "drive it like I stole it" whenever I get the chance to see if I can get the tailpipe sooted up.

Where does the soot actually go on a 2013 with no DEF system? Is there a DPF, or is the combination of the better flowing head, and different fuel maps sufficient to do away with the soot we saw on the MkIV (BEW) and early MkV (BRM) PD engines??
Soot and DEF have nothing to do with each other. Soot is handled by the DPF filter. DEF is for something else altogether. DEF is one of the key elements of the SCR (Selective Catalytic Reduction) aftertreatment system intended to reduce NOx from the exhaust.

Soot builds up in the DPF filter and is regularly burned off to soot and kept there until replacement.