Review of Powerflex Polyurethane Dogbone pad PFF85-420

shoebear

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon, 2005 New Beetle, 2013 Sportwagen
I had my transmission mount replaced about a year ago and have been meaning to replace my other mounts ever since. Today I replaced my engine mount and dogbone mount. Both were stock from idparts, but I replaced the main buffer on the dogbone mount with:

• Powerflex Polyurethane Dogbone Motor Mount for 1.8T / 3.2 Audi TT 99-06, VW Mk4 Golf / GTI / Jetta / R32 99-05 PFF85-420
That's the description on Amazon. They are polyurethane, but at 70A durometer, they are between stock and racing pads.

I don't have a tune yet, but I'm prepping for one. Since I'm only putting about 65hp to the wheels, I don't have the wheel hop problem some do. However, the pads (plus engine mount) nicely firmed up the engine, greatly reduced a vibration I have at 3500 RPM. They just feel nice and tight.

These cushions are common for R32 daily drivers. I was concerned that the extra vibration from a diesel would result in unacceptable engine vibration and noise in the car. But I really couldn't tell any difference in that regard from stock, at least from a 5-mile test drive.

What went wrong today?

1. When torquing the right (front) bolt from the engine mount to the bracket, I started to feel the telltale sign of aluminum threads stripping -- the torque wasn't increasing when tightening the bolt. So I stopped and ordered a Time-Sert 12155 set and a pack of 24mm inserts.They arrive Monday. The left (rear) bolt did torque correctly, so I think the two bolts will hold for a few days until I can fix it properly.
  2. The dogbone mount replacement should be quick and easy, but one of the rear bolts was corroded and snapped as I tried to remove it. The corrosion bound the bolt to the mount hole, and it was extremely difficult to get the dogbone off the broken stud. But patience and levers won out. Then I used my trusty Craftsman damaged bolt remover (Item # 00952165000 Model # 52165) along with a torch and PB Blaster, to remove the stud.

Last edited:

shoebear

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon, 2005 New Beetle, 2013 Sportwagen
A couple more comments after driving some more...

• I do feel more vibration when in first gear or reverse with engine idling, e.g. when parking. The engine pulses quite a bit when the ECU tries to maintain idle speed against a load, and the new pads transmit this the the rest of the car. However, I don't find this to be objectionable.
  • Likewise, there is a bit more motor noise in the cabin, especially at idle, 1850 RPM, etc. and on up the harmonic series. Again, I don't find this to be a problem: the car has never been all that quiet, and the increase in noise is small. But if you have invested in aftermarket noise deadeners, etc., I would stick with the stock dogbone buffer pad.
  • I tend to engage the clutch with authority :) , and sometimes passengers complain of the jerky ride. With the new mounts, my shifts have become nice and smooth because the engine isn't rotating against the clutch engagement, then running into the end of the buffer.
Bottom line: This is a good improvement for me, but if you are pretty sensitive to noise and vibration, you might prefer stock. I really appreciate the stability it gives the engine and the smooth clutch engagements. Plus, it sets me up for planned bigger injectors and chip. If you're tempted but not sure, remember that once you get the dogbone out in the first place, it should be easy to R&R it again to swap the buffer pad. So your risk is small.

Last edited: