Q5/Q7/Touareg Common Issues?

JHands

Veteran Member
TDI
None presently
Greetings. Current ALH owner and considering upgrading to one of the dieselgate fixed Q5/Q7/Touareg vehicles. Been told by a friend that there are transmission concerns with these. Can anyone confirm or deny?

How are they with towing as well?

My other option is an 08 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD with the 3.0 sprinter engine.

Trying to stay a part of the VW fam. Any insight is appreciated.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The Q5 is a completely different platform. Essentially a jacked up Audi A4 with a smooshed butt. It drives more like a car, because it is, and it has about the best power to weight ratio of any TDI sold here... so it moves along quite nicely.

The Q7 and T'reg (and Cayenne) are more of a purpose built SUV.

Lots of threads about this already here. These are expensive vehicles to own, so do not compare it to a Golf or Jetta. Vastly different.

Pittdawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
They have the ZF8 transmission which is one of the best and strongest transmission commonly available so I'm baffled at your friend's comment about transmission concerns. There does seem to be some throttle lag in 1st gear only built into the TCU software which is my only complaint.

JHands

Veteran Member
TDI
None presently
They have the ZF8 transmission which is one of the best and strongest transmission commonly available so I'm baffled at your friend's comment about transmission concerns. There does seem to be some throttle lag in 1st gear only built into the TCU software which is my only complaint.
I’m looking in the 2010-2014 range. They have this transmission in that era?

3NEC CZ

TDI
2015 Q7 PP
My 2015 Q7 has AISIN tranny, due to the emission fix, sometimes it hesitates from dead stop, specially when it's cold. It shifts normal in regular driving, great on freeway.

EARL97850

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
JHands....I too am considering getting back into TDI ownership. I agree with Oilhammerin the Q5being a lighter vehicle and able to scoot right along nicely.

The only thing that kind of bothered me a little with the Q5 is that the interior styling with the electronics seemed to be left behind a little with the upgrades throughout the years when compared to the Q7 & Touareg.

The still used 3G connection speed....I guess I just wanted a more up to date interior.

With all that being said, it still is my favorite when compared to the Q7, Touareg, and even the Cayenne.
All in the TDI flavor of course.

Midwesthick

Veteran Member
TDI
A3, GSW, 02-Golf
I’m always impressed when I drive my wife’s Q5 TDI compared to my A6. I do prefer the A6 platform all around but the get up and go is silly from her stock Q5. Definitely feels like a lighter car compared to mine as well.

oilhammer

TDI
I would rather drive the A6, myself though. Much "nicer" car if you ask me. But, it is bigger and heavier, so it won't feel quite as lively. But man, the A6 TDI on the highway is just bliss. You can cruise at 100 and carry on a conversation with people in the back seat.... and still get 30+ MPG. Crazy. Shouldn't be legal. Oh, wait.... :(

Huskies2710

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi A6 -- 2008 Mercedes ML 320 CDI
I would rather drive the A6, myself though. Much "nicer" car if you ask me. But, it is bigger and heavier, so it won't feel quite as lively. But man, the A6 TDI on the highway is just bliss. You can cruise at 100 and carry on a conversation with people in the back seat.... and still get 30+ MPG. Crazy. Shouldn't be legal. Oh, wait.... :(
^^^Upgraded from a four cylinder 07 Mazda 3 to the A6. First long trip on the highway, no traffic, and not using cruise. Casually moving along not thinking much about it. Mesmerized by how quiet the ride is. Wife looks at me, "You know you're doing 94 right now?"

Uh...nope ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But I would assume the Q5 could do this as well?

oilhammer

TDI
Yes, but the Q5 being smaller, lighter, and taller, will notice the higher speeds more... but this is all relative. Even the Q5 would feel like it was etched from a solid piece of granite compared to some cars. But for the same reasons, the Q5 is more "spritely" around town. Shame Dieselgate happened before the A4 TDIs got here. THAT would have be the bee's knee's with the V6!!!

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
I drove a Touareg for years, loved it. When I was driving my Q5 home for the first time I did the 95mph thing just the same way. All the subconscious cues about wind noise, engine noise, etc, that I had learned from the Treg deceived me in the Q5. I adjusted after a few days.

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Audi A6 TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI
The A6 TDI is the best car I have ever owned. And with a tune it is a beast with 300HP and 527Ft-Lbs.