Ankers Automotive-Catonsville, MD

htmiser

TDI
2009 VW Jetta TDI (sold); 2014 VW Jetta TDI; 2014 Passat SEL TDI
Hi! I just bought a used post-dieselgate Passat & Jetta TDI and was looking for a local mechanic. Did you ever use Ankers? Reviews seem positive. Any other local mechanics you have / had experience with that your could recommend? Thanks! ROB

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Hi! I just bought a used post-dieselgate Passat & Jetta TDI and was looking for a local mechanic. Did you ever use Ankers? Reviews seem positive. Any other local mechanics you have / had experience with that your could recommend? Thanks! ROB
Hi Rob, Welcome Aboard. What Tom is saying is that no one responded to Lito's post in a long time, so it may be better to look elsewhere for an answer. Personally, I prefer keeping old posts alive, instead of starting new ones on the same topic, regardless of age. It will be a little tricky to find TDI Gurus for the newer vehicles. Tom in Stafford may be happy to help with some standard stuff. I think Oliver is no longer wrenching, but others can confirm. Standard suggestions: Avoid the dealer, learn how to do as much yourself as possible, and be willing to drive a ways for reliable TDI specific service. Dennis Marquette is up in PA, as is Romans (Philly). Check out the Trusted Shops post, which is mostly accurate.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=130044

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Hi Rob, Welcome Aboard. What Tom is saying is that no one responded to Lito's post in a long time, so it may be better to look elsewhere for an answer. Personally, I prefer keeping old posts alive, instead of starting new ones on the same topic, regardless of age. It will be a little tricky to find TDI Gurus for the newer vehicles. Tom in Stafford may be happy to help with some standard stuff. I think Oliver is no longer wrenching, but others can confirm. Standard suggestions: Avoid the dealer, learn how to do as much yourself as possible, and be willing to drive a ways for reliable TDI specific service. Dennis Marquette is up in PA, as is Romans (Philly). Check out the Trusted Shops post, which is mostly accurate.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=130044
TDI Club is very Irrelevant since VW Screwed the Pooch......Many long time Members have simply walked away or gotten different types of Rides.....There has been no TDI Fest since 2016 I drive a BMW 328D Xdrive.....still have my TDI but my Wife drives it.....Lito original thread originator has a BMW I3 Electric Car

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I disagree, but I understand many from the early years feel similarly. For many years of the MkIV, the active members seemed to hover around 9,000 to 10,000, but for the last 2-3 years, it has been nearly 11,000 or so. More people have posted in the "Introduce Yourself" thread than one might expect for a dying forum. The same might not be true in 5 years, but the stop-sale cars (we have one) and the sale of buy-back cars (we have one) has brought in new members, who mix with people discovering the Mark IV (we have two) and MkV. I wish we could get a Fest going, but I'm not sure the failure is entirely connected to membership. We certainly haven't made it easy to hold one. Obviously some people move on with their cars as time passes, but many of us still visit Fred's on a weekly basis- even when we don't need it as an information resource. The wealth of information regarding numerous platforms alone prevents me from thinking of the forum as "irrelevant."

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I disagree, but I understand many from the early years feel similarly. For many years of the MkIV, the active members seemed to hover around 9,000 to 10,000, but for the last 2-3 years, it has been nearly 11,000 or so. More people have posted in the "Introduce Yourself" thread than one might expect for a dying forum. The same might not be true in 5 years, but the stop-sale cars (we have one) and the sale of buy-back cars (we have one) has brought in new members, who mix with people discovering the Mark IV (we have two) and MkV. I wish we could get a Fest going, but I'm not sure the failure is entirely connected to membership. We certainly haven't made it easy to hold one. Obviously some people move on with their cars as time passes, but many of us still visit Fred's on a weekly basis- even when we don't need it as an information resource. The wealth of information regarding numerous platforms alone prevents me from thinking of the forum as "irrelevant."
I am still here several times a day....because I have made so many friends here and still have them I went to all Fests but 2 won the Beetle Go award in 2008 and won something with my TDI cars nearly every Show and Shine at TDIFest in fact my 2015 TDI Jetta SEL TDI won best in show the last 2 Fests! Maybe Irrelevant is too strong....very sad The BMW group is very different and most don’t even know there is a diesel car although 335D modified is super bad ass!

Last edited:

htmiser

TDI
2009 VW Jetta TDI (sold); 2014 VW Jetta TDI; 2014 Passat SEL TDI
Thanks! I intentionally responded to the old thread mainly in hope that the title (Ankers Automotive) would generate some response with those local who may have used them.

I have been referred to two TDI mechanics in the Baltimore area- Ankers in Catonsville being one and Wayne's Auto in Reisterstown being the other. I did look in the Trusted Mechanics thread but that looked to not have been update for a bit so I returned here LOL.

Rob

Last edited:

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks! I intentionally responded to the old thread mainly in hope that the title (Ankers Automotive) would generate some response with those local who may have used them.

I have been referred to two TDI mechanics in the Baltimore area- Ankers in Catonsville being one and Wayne's Auto in Reisterstown being the other. I did look in the Trusted Mechanics thread but that looked to not have been update for a bit so I returned here LOL.

Rob

Rob, update us after you visit to let us know how it went!