Zippy's Trek Xcountry!

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
Previously:'02 Jetta. Now: '13 Subaru XV Crosstrek!
Moving myself from Coventry, RI to Palo Alto, CA - estmiated 4,500 miles! :eek: i will update this thread as things progress and when i can add pictures, i will!

I've been on the road for 9 days now, and for the most part things have been going smoothly. I left on Friday, april 5th from Rumford, RI after attending a most amazing first Friday GTG hosted by the new england sector! (thanks again, one and all) After the GTG I drove to New Haven, CT for the night. TDIClub member SSTDI was kind enough to open his house up to me for the evening (thanks again, Matt). That layover gave me a 2 hour head start in the morning. On Saturday, the 6th, i departed Matt's and had breakfast with two other friends in New Haven. They supplied me with a hearty breakfast and tunes to get me thought the first few hours of my trip, at least. The day went well and I was able to make it all the way though to Roanoke, VA (estimated 539 miles)- but not without cursing the conditions of 95S in NY, yikes! Roanoke was a pleasant stop and a jumping off point for a easy 6 hour jaunt to Nashville, TN.

Easter sunday i stayed in a motel in Nashville across from the Grande Ole Opry hotel. I spoiled myself and ate dinner at the most expensive restaurant in the hotel, where they wined and dined me lavishly! I had an amazing filet minion with the best steak fries (covered in fresh grated parmisian cheese and spices), golden mashed potatoes, and a never ending glass of Pelligrino spring water. Dessert was a Gadiva chocolate soufflet - complimentary as they didn't have the dessert i wanted, b/c the chef didn't like the way they came out, so he tossed them all in the trash! All in All it was a beautiful visit to the Grand Ole Opry hotel with georgous gardens, giant waterfalls, and fountain shows in the evening.

The next morning was a long trip through some back roads of Arkansas. When i first entered that state, i feared for my safety, as it was not a very welcoming state to be entering, or so it seemed, even the "welcome center" wasn't welcoming - dirty, smelly, run-down looking.... needless to say i tried to get out of AR as soon as i could. Although i did take AR Rt. 79 from the state border to Shreveport, LA (est. 600 miles). And the rt was a nice drive in the second half. I've discovered that taking the secondary routes really gives you perspective on what a particular state can be like (at least from a superficial perspective) A poor looking state with many run down homes and trailors, and farms as far as the eye could see on the first leg of the rt 79 trip. Rather nerve wracking for a girl who's used to sticking to the primary highways. The second half however was very nice with a tree lined road set at 70mph and cute little towns to stop in - although, not many of them sold diesel at their fuel stations! :eek: Once in Shreveport i stayed at an uber-sketchy motel where i didn't sleep much at all, and was awake most of the night wondering what every sound was. But i made it through unscaved to make it the 8 hours to San Antonio, TX to the best B&B money can't buy - also via Rt 79 (est. 450 miles)!

Welcoming arms greeted me at Aunt and Uncle home in San Antonio, TX where i promptly emptied my car of all essential items and tried to take a nap, to no avail. They not only had an amazingly comfy bed, but also Wireless internet!!! i was able to check on the major amounts of email and private messages from people and respond accodrdingly, caught up on my bills, and took care of some things, as well as planned my next method of attack - Rt 10 west to El Paso and beyond. While in San Antonio, I discovered my first mechanical gliche - my Air conditioning no longer works! YIKES! :eek: of all times to discover this... oh well. i ate some good home cooked food, slept really well, and was able to take advantage of all the comforts of home! It was a much appreciated break for both me and the car. The car got a bath to clean off all the bugs and road grime, got some new torx screws to hold up a sagging belly pan, and got a full fluid inspection. she was a happy camper for the most part. After her bath, i decided to take her over to downtown San Antonio to get her picture taken at a classic historic monument - the Alamo! (pictures to come later - i promise!) :D

The next major leg in the trip was to head towards Pagosa Springs, CO so I could meet up with some TDIClub members having a GTG in that area - I got there via El Paso, TX, which i drove through very quickly and made excellent time getting to. I carried on to stop in Socorro, NM (est. 741 miles). cute town, kinda pops up on ya as your driving through the most amazing scenery that I had seen up until that point. The Rocky mountains from the begning/ending point of eruption from the earths surface. Beautiful. Red rock, scrub bush, open land as far as the eye could see. wow. pictures don't do it justice. :cool: The day after stopping in Socorro - i had to make a decision to try to get up to CO after the Denver area and southeast CO had gotten slammed with blizzard-like conditions. It turned out that the snow storm had barely clipped the area that i was going to visit, so i started up. However, this leg of the trip was destined to not be easy. On my way up to Pagosa springs (about 6 hours from Socorro) my car had developed a loud, deep humming and fine vibration. i tried a couple of different things along the way (tightening lugs, checking various compnents, etc) and nothing seems to be out of the ordinary. I made it all the way up to Chama, NM (est. 243 miles)- the last little mountain town in NM before you hit the CO border and decided that my cars noises were too much and i had to check a few other things. I pull into a gas station and have them put my car on their lift to take a look underneath, and much to my dismay found CV axle lubricant oozing from the CV boot. :( Well I called MrChill back east and descirbed it to him, he said he thought it might be the axle was busted and the bearing might be ready to overheat and sieze, so i shouldn't drive it if i could avoid it. Very sound advice! Well, I called bikeprof (john) up in Pagosa Springs and asked for help. the Co contingent tried to come up with many options for getting both myself and the car there safely (as there wasn't a mechanic in Chama that could help me out). Needless to say i spent the night in Chama and called a tow truck via AAA in the morning. They towed my car up to the GTG in Pagosa (est 47 miles), and $351.25 later, my car was in the garage getting checked out. I had my front axle checked out, and all seemed well - minus the spewing lubricant. CV boot is not perferated and is still intact. Lube seems to be spewing forth from the braket that hold it, possibly from overfilling when it was rebuilt. but not damaged. *whew* the secondary diagnosis from Jeff - rocketchip, was that the wheel bearings were shot, as the noise went away depending on the direction the wheel was turned. Well, i had my two front wheel bearings replaced, and that didn't solve the problem. matter of fact they were in perfectly good shape! :rolleyes: And because the garage we were the GTG was held didn't have insurance to cover anyone else doing the work to their car, they ended up doing the work costing me another $533.15! :eek: (total so far: $884.40). We ended up staying at the GTG and closing out the shop around 5pm - still with no solution to the humming noise. So I drove my car to John's house (6.5 miles) and parked it in his garage to be looked at at on sunday.

Now this brings me to today's events... today Jeff was kind enough to look at my car once more and try a few new things - like moving the motor back to center, as it had wiggled it's way to the far right and was slightly off center. That didn't work, so he then lifted the back end and inspected the rear wheel bearings, and... as to be expected one of them was in pretty bad shape! The driver side rear bearing was fine, but the passenger side rear bearing was griding and not moving as fluidly and freely as it should have been. so he took it apart to inspect it, and low and behold the bearing and hub assmbly have suffered some damage. :( the race is chipped and discolored from loose ball bearings knocking into it and chipping away at the hard metal, and the ball bearings sitting inside the hub had a broken spacer with plastic chips imbedded in the bearing lube and causing the bearings to grind and knock together in their seats. some damage was also done to the hub from the bearing casing and debris and there was a missing dust cover which allowed all the dirt and debris from the outside, to get into the bearing. how i'm missing that part is still unknown! not a happy bearing or hub assembly. so it's now sunday, and nothing is open and no one in Pagosa Springs, CO has VW parts - they all have to be special ordered and can't get here until at least Wednesday, and will only be shipped to the next closest city of Durango (50 miles west of Pagosa). so i made a few calls to some people back east and am waiting to see what the news is on some parts and delivery times.
However, while i'm here in Pagosa i've met some awesome people, seen Pagosa, sat in a hot spring - that was... interesting..., took a drive to Durango (cute little tourist town - i like it!), and learned a lot about my car.

so, My trip has been delayed at this point, but i am ok and have a place to stay with bikeprof for now (thanks, dude!). I don't know how much longer i'll be here - i'm hoping not much longer, as i'd like to get back on the road to complete the trip. I'll keep everyone posted on what's going on and will update on the rest of my trip as things progress. I'm almost to CA - about 1,000+ miles to go - 2/3. it could have been worse. I'm in a better position here than i was in Chama! :)

so far, estimated milage total: ~3,100 miles (with side trip and such calcutlated in - estimates are from google and are not completely accurate. i'll try to get more accurate caluclations later, and factor in the fuel costs. With my car as loaded down as it is and factoring in wheel bearing issues - I'm getting an estimated 38mpgs, or around 550 miles/tank. well see if fixing the issue helps the mpgs later on!

thanks to everyone for their support and concern. I'll keep this post updated as i carry on and, again, will add pics when i can (can't get net to work on my laptop, at the moment, at johns house).

***Edit/update***
Well, after 13 days of being on the road I finally arrived in Palo Alto, CA on Thursday april 19th at 9pm. I promptly colapsed in bed, after several trips up 4 flights of stairs unpacking my car. But.. here's the rest of the story...

So I ended up staying in Pagosa Springs, CO for 4 days and recieved my parts (rear bearing/hub assembly, bently manual, spindle, and dose of sanity overnighted from the East Coast - THANK YOU TDIPARTS!). After a quick assembly and test drive, to make sure that all was well, I promptly repacked my car to distribute the weight a little more evenly and packed my things to continue the journey. The following morning, I headed west on the most direct route to CA - took 160w to 40w, to 58w, to 101!

On the continued trip west I was able to stop at the 4 corners monument on rt. 160W - litlerally a random monument on the top of a plateau in the middle of nowhere! I took many pictures to add to the list when i get my laptop back online). Then I carried on through the state of AZ. I don't have much to say about this state, other than my car really did not appreciate the 50 mph sand blasting it took while going through the Navajo Reservation. It' just not a state for me - both times i've been there. My shiny headlights have been horribly clouded as a result and there's all sorts of sand where it doesn't belong. Not a fan of sand storms. But... I digress. After trying to get through the resrvation with my clear coat intact, i managed to make it to the Grand Canyon's Southern Rim in time for sunset at 7pm. amazing. Granted, the canyon looks just like a hugely sureal big hole in the ground, but the colors on the rock from the sunset were beautiful. that night i was able to make it withing 60 miles of the CA border!

The next morning I awoke early to pack up and eagrly get on the road. I made it to the CA border inside of an hour and Celebrated in the cabin of my car by doing a little car dancing and sending a mass Text message. My trip through CA was relatively uneventful. Straight, Flat, and rather boring... until i got to the farside of Bakersfield.... and then I had to go through the mountains that I had been staring at for so long....

74 miles of nonstop twisties on route 58, on a rear bearing that I was completely paranoid about, and a car that was fully loaded. i did it, white knuckled, but the car handled it very well, thankfully. i was exhausted when i hit 101 - where i went south for a quick 2 hour stop in San Louis Obispo to visit a good friend. the home stretch - 101N from SLO to Palo Alto!

All in all an amazing trip where i got to see more of this country than I ever have. I regret nothing! And I am currently settling into a new life and enjoying CA living.

thanks again to all TDIClubbers that helped out when i was temperarily delayed. I look foward to meeting up with more TDI'ers out here! Pic's will be posted as soon as I get my own laptop online for more than 2 minutes (still working from roommate's computer).

Last edited:

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 Jetta (sold, such a great car) '16 Touareg
Wow......bummer to get stopped mid trip, but at least you have the best of the TDI community there to help you out!

Good luck with the car.......

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Ahhhhh! Zippy I'm sorry to hear of this. Give Aaron a call (BleachedBora (801.326.9311) he may be able to drop-ship the parts to your garage. He's outside Salt Lake City (at flight school.)

You have a place here if-n-when you want to come through. We have a tuning and chipping GTG on May 19th. We have a big dinner planned on Cinco de Mayo too.

Good luck :)

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
nicklockard said:
Ahhhhh! Zippy I'm sorry to hear of this. Give Aaron a call (BleachedBora (801.326.9311) he may be able to drop-ship the parts to your garage. He's outside Salt Lake City (at flight school.)

You have a place here if-n-when you want to come through. We have a tuning and chipping GTG on May 19th. We have a big dinner planned on Cinco de Mayo too.

Good luck :)
I'll have to check and see if I can add OR to my list of states visted. i can't promise i'll show, but i'll try. May is booking up really fast for GTG's! that's great! :D

thanks for the wishes!
Nick - thanks for the offer!

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Zippy, sorry to hear the trip has been less than smooth. OTOH, isn't it great how much support there is when needed!! This is a true community - - I cringe when the newbies show up and call it a "list". I've never heard anything more absurd.

Palo Alto isn't far from Mtn View ;) Be certain to check out:

[SIZE=+1]Yakko Japanese Restaurant :D [/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]31 reviews[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]975 W Dana St[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Mountain View, CA 94041[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]
(650) 960-0626

I never visit the Bay Area w/o paying a visit!!

Take care.
[/SIZE]

uberdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Night Blue Golf TDI SEL
Zippy_car said:
I spoiled myself and ate dinner at the most expensive restaurant in the hotel, where they wined and dined me lavishly! I had an amazing filet minion with the best steak fries (covered in fresh grated parmisian cheese and spices), golden mashed potatoes, and a never ending glass of Pelligrino spring water. Dessert was a Gadiva chocolate soufflet - complimentary as they didn't have the dessert i wanted, b/c the chef didn't like the way they came out, so he tossed them all in the trash! All in All it was a beautiful visit to the Grand Ole Opry hotel with georgous gardens, giant waterfalls, and fountain shows in the evening.
Olde Hickory Steakhouse? The cheese cart was quite good. My bro-in-law and I enjoyed a meal there last summer... quite respectable prime rib.

Johnny probably makes a pretty good steak too! Give him Uberdiesel's regards!

Happy trails...

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Wheel bearing and hub, stub axle, cap, and the indispensable[FONT=&quot] [/FONT](how did you leave home without it) Bentley manual are on their way UPS Next Day Air. I hope this is enough to get you back underway. In the meantime, have a Margirata for me!

engineerorange

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta
IndigoBlueWagon said:
Wheel bearing and hub, stub axle, cap, and the indispensable(how did you leave home without it) Bentley manual are on their way UPS Next Day Air. I hope this is enough to get you back underway. In the meantime, have a Margirata for me!
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Peter is da' man.

Hope you have an uneventful rest of the trip Zippy.

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
engineerorange said:
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Peter is da' man.

Hope you have an uneventful rest of the trip Zippy.
how did i leave home without it... it wasn't in a care pakage :p ;) :D (which has also served useful as well!)

again, yes... Peter is indeed da'man...I'll keep my eye out for parts! *YAY*
Thanks again! *cross your fingers* that this is it, everbody and i can be back on the road! :)

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
Hi Zippy,

Glad to help out, sorry bout the misdiagnosis on the front bearing, it's always the front unless you loose the grease cap on the rear - uggghhhh.

I thought the shop lifted the whole car up to check all 4 corners. I could smell the cooked bearing as soon as I removed the first RR lugnut at johns.

Finally made it home tonight. The drive up to denver was awesome in the daylight, and I stayed at Robs in Bolder. He's got an awesome place with 4 bay heated garage, lift, etc. He hinted about hosting a gtg sometime.

Enjoy the rest of your trip and keep you and your car pointed straight, and pray daily!

Go Peter at TDIParts, what a great TDI family! Oh, if I ever want to run away from life, I know where to go now, free baths at the hot springs, and live in a camper, and open a vw salvage yard!

cya,
Jeff

wny_pat

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Zippy
When I read the title, I thought you brought a new bicycle. Boy, did the story end up differently. Have a safe and uneventful trip the rest of the way. Congrads on new job???

Hamsterdiesel

TDIClub Enthusiast , Veteran Member & HO5G CoFound
TDI
1999 Golf IV, Black and now 2015 Reflex Silver Passat SE
All in all it sounds like a good experience so far...you'll look back on this trip when you're the ripe old age of 40? and be glad that you did it...;) :D

TDIParts & Rocketchip...now how's that for service?!:cool:

Awesome job guys! Two thumbs up!

Keep on drivin'...and updating us as much as you can!
We want pics...beyond Zippy on the flatbed...:( :eek:

Varkias

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Golf TDI
What the heck is it with road trips and cars breaking? I once took a trip out west, and ended up with a $900 brake job, and almost had a wheel fall off while cruising at 90 MPH. Yet we put thousands of miles on our cars near where we live, and nothing ever happens.

Glad to hear that this all happened near folks who could help! I hope that the rest of your trip is just filled with cool people and lots of cheep fun and thrills! ;)

sourmash

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle
I'm right there with you. In '96 a college buddy of mine and I took a 15 day 6700 mile road trip out west to see a bunch of National Parks...and basically explore. On July 15th (my birthday...haha, not the present I wanted) we were leaving Death Valley (119 degrees F that day) and about 12 miles outside of Stovepipe Wells the transmission went out on his 1993 Ford Explorer (it would not move). We were stranded, nobody in site and couldn't touch the pavement to look under the vehicle because it would have burned us. After an hour sitting in the swealtering sun, a nice couple picked us up and took us and drove us in the back of their pick-up 83 miles to Ridgecrest, CA and set us up in a Hotel. We were going to walk back to Stovepipe Wells after nightfall, but thank God they came along. A tow truck went out to retrieve the Explorer and 12 hours later he returned after getting lost and not being able to find the vehicle. Seven days later and a new transmission (flown in from Sacramento) we were back on the road. Our trip was not a total loss as we rented a car in Ridgecrest and proceeded to Yosemite and to some friends in Monterey, that we had not planned on doing initially.
Good Luck with the rest of your trip and the new job.

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Zippy trials

Zippy looks like the east coast has assisted from afar. This is great. Eveyone here hopes you have a much better drive now.

the 2001 Fest had 3 Turbos visit the trash heap. Heat and High speed takes its toll.

Keep Rolling Zippy!

sporteeee

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Campanella White// (RIP) 2001 Golf GLS - Royal Blue?
Wow! Hope I dont have the same problems...

What terrible luck...I hope your trip gets better in a hurry....I'm about to set off and do the same thing- leaving Oregon for NYC on Sunday......

xsfmed

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2002, Indigo Blue
About to depart NJ for Seattle on Apr 25 - will let everyone know how it goes.... OldPoopie - here I come, my car needs a decent mechanic.

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
sporteeee said:
What terrible luck...I hope your trip gets better in a hurry....I'm about to set off and do the same thing- leaving Oregon for NYC on Sunday......
no new job yet... :eek: although at this rate, i'll have to stay in Pagosa for a little while longer doing break jobs to work off my debt!

Sporteeee I wish you better luck on your trip (mechanically speaking)! it'll be fun! What's your reason for going (if i may be so nosy). :eek:

and yeah, Old Hickory Steakhouse in the Opryland Hotel.. very tasty Filet and excellent service - for a nice price! :D

and Jules... 40! yeah, i'll look back on this in 5 years (31 - not declaring that's old by any means :p ) and be glad i did it, and laugh at the luck that seems to run into so many who try to cross this great land!

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
xsfmed said:
About to depart NJ for Seattle on Apr 25 - will let everyone know how it goes.... OldPoopie - here I come, my car needs a decent mechanic.
*Ahem*

Redo your wheel bearings?

sporteeee

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Campanella White// (RIP) 2001 Golf GLS - Royal Blue?
Zippy_car said:
Sporteeee I wish you better luck on your trip (mechanically speaking)! it'll be fun! What's your reason for going (if i may be so nosy). :eek:
Change of scenery? Unfortunately there's no good news to share for my reason so I won't bring everyone down...

on the upside, I do have very good job prospects back in NYC....

uberdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Night Blue Golf TDI SEL
In the photograph of the disabled car on the flat bed, it looked pretty heavily laden in the back end. Do you think that was a factor in the bearing burning up?

Phoenix42

Veteran Member
TDI
'08 Mazda3 Hatch
Zippy sorry to hear about the hiccups on you trip, but delighted to hear that your TDIClub membership dues where fully paid up and that it came to the rescue!
Good luck with the rest of you drive.

2004Nick

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Wagon
Zippy's Trek

Zippy's great Atitude will guarantee that this trip will be magic, even through the difficulties! And it's all about
Attitude. (and timing) Good luck Zip! (and great work
TDI Club Support system!)

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
Unofficial Zippy Update

I just got off the phone with the Zippster... she has reached her destination in Cali, doing fine. :D She has not unpacked yet, internet access is limited, she says she will post as soon as she can to update folks on the rest of her trip.. it will probably be a day or two before she can.

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
i have arrived...

uberdiesel said:
In the photograph of the disabled car on the flat bed, it looked pretty heavily laden in the back end. Do you think that was a factor in the bearing burning up?
not going to discount that possibility. The car does have 130k+ miles on her, so something was going to go, the extra strain on her didn't help, and especially for 13 days. the Bilstiens faired very well in handling the load, unfortunately the rear bearing didn't. But all seems well now (with a bit of odd turbo whining that I need to look into now :(). I have arrived in Palo Alto, CA as of Thursday April 19th at 9pm. I'm exhausted, but no worse for wear. It was an amazing trip, i have lots of updates, stories and pictures to share with everyone, and i will try to do so as soon as possible. I'm on my friends computer, atm, so options are limited. i'll see what i can do to get mine up and running shortly. Thanks again everyone fo their support! :D

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Congrats on making it to Palo Alto. I considered moving to Fremont area when I got a job there but the rents kept me from doing it. I commuted from up near Sacramento for a few months (daily commute >200 miles). Gas (when I had the civic) was still cheaper than $1500/mo rent.

I have been to E Palo Alto for Scout parts and can say that scared the **** out of me. There were guys doing buys right there on the street!!:eek::eek: I definitely recommend staying away from E Palo Alto. It's like making a wrong turn into Compton or East LA by mistake.

If you have a chance to make a short drive, there is a steak house in a little town named Winters. The Buckhorn. It's inside a hotel built in the 1800's along with the bar to match. Best steak or lamp chops I have ever eaten are there, and I have been all over.

I'm going to stop before I start gushing about where I grew up.:eek:

Jason