Water Methanol injection on a TDI?

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Sodium doesn't combust? This must be CGI.

That will do some harm to your engine as the soap in it dries in your intake then flakes off into the engine.[/QUOTE]

Sodium IS NOT salt. Common salt is sodium chloride. There IS a difference.

Pure sodium ignites (FIRE!) in the presence of ordinary water (on your wet tongue for instance). Salt does not.

Bill

Last edited:

whoabeats

TDI
98 RIP, 00 chugging along
That will do some harm to your engine as the soap in it dries in your intake then flakesoffinto theengine
Well I have 20k miles on my system and there are plenty of other guys who have proven this out before I tried it. I'll be happy to postback if my truck starts blowing soap bubbles out the exhaust.

Spike_africa

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI/w DSG
I have the www.coolingmist.com stage 1 diesel kit. Great little setup. Keeps my intake manifold clean and blows little smoke under full throttle even with my stage 2 tune from Tdituning.

For the cheap cost it was fun just to add it and play with it.

I make my own water/meth mix using washer fluid, and 3 bottles of HEET water remover. Makes a nice potent batch. Look into it its fun and inexpensive. I would like to add the mpg function to mine to get more out of the kit too.

ocshaman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Spike, the CMGS should do what u want

Ghoul, MSDS is your friend. The only problem you might have when running the correct fluid, usually the cheap stuff, is mineral buildup in your oil. I got to the point of what you suggested, but it took two years, and 5 liters of "distilled" water that had some kind of sealant in it, for batteries. Took out a solenoid but pump and nozzles survived.

bhutchins

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDiCup, 02Q built Sept 2010
been a long time since I've studied thermodynamics of heat engines ('80's), this may be a good option to aid lowering my EGT's under boost. currently running 32 psi from a GTB2260VK on a CJAA engine and using the Euro S3 IC.

DanMaker

TDI
1999 New Beetle 1.9l TDI
Denatured Alcohol != Methanol

most tuners including mine advise against it because windshield washer fluid has the potential to clog the nozzles, another cheap alternative is denatured alcohol from lowes or home depot.
Only years late coming into this thread, but denatured alcohol from the hardware store is mostly (90% or more) ethanol, if it's got any methanol in it, it was added to denature the ethanol.

DanMaker

TDI
1999 New Beetle 1.9l TDI
HEET, available at most automotive places...
Regular HEET, ISO HEET is isopropyl (rubbing alcohol) it is a larger molecule and so slower to evaporate (and probably contains more energy per volume unit)

Ethanol is a middle sized alcohol molecule. Methanol is the smallest of these three alcohol molecules, it evaporates the fastest/easiest.

Look at the molar weight and boiling points (right column under "Properties")
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methyl_alcohol
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethyl_alcohol
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isopropyl_alcohol

DanMaker

TDI
1999 New Beetle 1.9l TDI
most tuners including mine advise against it because windshield washer fluid has the potential to clog the nozzles, another cheap alternative is denatured alcohol from lowes or home depot.
These guys actually did a test (on a Dodge, not a VW) using nothing, washer fluid, 50% methanol and 75% methanol. It's not the most informative article, but it does show that washer fluid can work (at least short term) but isn't the best option (even short term)
http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/1005dp_water_methanol_injection_how_much_is_too_much/viewall.html

rms85702

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
I'm interested in this for my Jetta also. I know a few guys that I hang out with who have a Water / Meth system on their trucks. From what they have told me, yes they add a bit of power, but its mostly used for lowering EGTs when pulling heavy trailers up long grades. I'm sure there are people out there who use it for adding power, but they use it to lower EGTs. High EGTs are something that's easily done here in Arizona.

Chris Tobin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
NEVER run more than 50% methanol mix!!!! I saw two guys blow up their Cummins engines on a chassis dyno trying to get more power and running a 100% methanol injection and both went boom!!!

I run washer fluid or Boost Juice in my '06 with the MPG Max Snow system. Honestly I don't see much difference in mileage, but the power boost is there in the seat of the pants and on the chassis dyno. Possibly more fine tuning would yield better MPG improvements but I haven't had time to mess with it more...

Fire&TDI

TDI
09 jetta
09 jetta TDI

I just purchased a Snow performance MPG MAX Water/ methanol kit for my jetta. Am in the process of installing it.( lot of work routing wire and pipe)
Was wondering who els has put one on newer CR TDI?
What other performance/MPG upgrades are available for the 09 CR TDI?

Fire&TDI

TDI
09 jetta
09 jetta CR 2.0 TDI
Propaine vs Nitrous ?
1) safety
2) cost per HP gain.
3) general question. What is better for MPG?

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
A Snow kit will deliver fuel (methanol) and air/cooling (vaporized water) on its own. I have ran propane before and only ran it for about 2 years. I was losing big performance having to lug around a 50kg tank (when full) in the boot. The meth kit adds very little as its just like having a washer fluid tank in the engine bay.

chummer

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 A3 TDI Premium Plus/Titanium Package
I just purchased a Snow performance MPG MAX Water/ methanol kit for my jetta. Am in the process of installing it.( lot of work routing wire and pipe)
Was wondering who els has put one on newer CR TDI?
What other performance/MPG upgrades are available for the 09 CR TDI?
Just ordered mine today, for my 2010 A3 TDI. where you are mounting the tank? I would like to mount it in a place other than the trunk.

Fire&TDI

TDI
09 jetta
I mounted mine in trunk. It is a pain in the A$$ if you Donot have a lift to install and run lines.
I will post link to pictures and maybe YouTube video on performance.

skramer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
Water/meth kits have been around w/ good success on boosted applications, but I'm not certain your going to get much of a gain just adding the water/meth kit to the car, it would need re-tuned to get the gains your article is talking about (they use a bully dog programmer for this). It definitely is another option for someone looking to modify the motor.

Where do you plan on mounting the water storage tank?

rbwhite42

TDI
2003 Jetta, 2006 Dodge Cummins
Mpg-max

I run the Snow MPG-MAX on my Cummins Diesel to improve mileage and keep the EGT down when towing. I see about 1 MPG improvement (5%) on long trips on distilled water only, but I now run 50/50 mix Methanol. Towing with 16,000# gross load rarely exceeds 1000F EGT with the Cruise control on. It is supposed to increase power but is hard to tell with 900# torque in an 8000# truck. System is easy to tune with 2 buttons and different size nozzles. I plan to put one on my TDI when I upgrade the Turbo, Clutch & Injectors as a liquid intercooler rather than putting in a FMIC. It will inject into the race pipe where the EGR used to be.

Fire&TDI

TDI
09 jetta
Over the past few days I along with local Preformance shop have been experimenting with different mixes( water, denatured alcohol, methinol, ethanol) in his 2009 TDI
We Have put approximately 6-7 gallons through the system and got a lot of positive results with a bunch of vareables. Along with injection times and boost psi and EGT.
My conclusion. For everyday running 40/60 1gal fuel to 1.5 water provided most consistent results. For long halls with or under a load 3 qts fuel 1.75 water gave best cooling and added lil power and great cooling. ( had same results with 50/50)
Even tryed some mixing of Methanol,denatured alcohol and isopropanol( rubbing alcohol)
Refrance this sight for explanation on what each does differently http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems....r-Methanol-Injection-System/article_info.html
Had great results but is worked out to $26 a gal mixing the 3 alcohols with deionozied water. Split the Alcohols up into 3qts each mix together with 3 qts water( talk into account the % water in the isopropanol try to find 90% alcohol and use deionozied water.
There was no huge power change with the different fuels so price should be your driving Factor.
Also found setting my MPG ON at 11psi and 100% at 18 psi. Power mode on at 16psi helped not get too aggressive of a curve.
Hope this helps you guys.

chummer

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 A3 TDI Premium Plus/Titanium Package
Well, after lots and lots of reading. I think, I may do the Stage II and DPF delete route instead. Putting my brand new kit for sale.