TDI or Golf R??

Velocity111

TDI
2015 VW Golf TDI
I previously has a 2013 TDI which I really liked a lot, great power with a Malone tune and DSG flash, and fantastic mpg because I drive for work. I sold it back to VW during the buy back period because the deal they offered was too good to pass up. Now I’m driving a Grand Cherokee, and while nice I really miss my TDI.

I’ve been toying with the idea of picking up another TDI, and doing some more things to it which I didn’t do last time. My concern - and question for this forum, is whether doing that is a waste of time? On one level, I’m concerned that I’m putting money into basically a dead product line. I’m wondering if I should go the golf R route instead, where products for that line will continue to be provided and innovate. The only issue is that I’m a big diesel fan and really just like the TDIs - is it time for me to move on, or will the TDI market still be alive for a while?

Any comments are appreciated. Thanks in advance.....

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Do you have annual inspections where you live in NY?

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
Hard to compare the two cars. The "R" would be fun with the 4motion and the extra power but at nearly twice the price, you could do a lot of mods to the TDI for the same money.

If it's 4motion that you want, that should be the deciding factor.

Velocity111

TDI
2015 VW Golf TDI
I think at this point my main concern is going down the TDI path if the line is dead, fewer parts and no more part development or availability. Truth I’d prefer the TDI, but if I can’t get parts or work done in a couple fo years then what’s the point?

I may be out in left field with this concern, just looking to see what others think.

My_name_is_Rob

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 A4 Quattro
Well, I'm not sure how much of a concern that should really be. My TDI is 21 years old this year, and I haven't had issues getting parts. Locally maybe, but there is plenty of selection online, and usually better prices too.

Velocity111

TDI
2015 VW Golf TDI
Fair statement. The only difference I would point out is that for your 21 years, the TDI line has been active, with the line now being dead I don’t know how much of a future parts and availability has.

Truth is I’m probably making a mountain out of a mole hill. I’m sure there will be parts available for sometime. Again was just looking for general comments from the community.

Thanks!

My_name_is_Rob

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 A4 Quattro
Well, they might not be making anymore TDI's over here, but they never really slowed down in Europe. And I would expect the parts availability will be driven by the demand rather than whether or not they keep making them. So, if there are still lots of these cars on the road, and these cars are still in need of parts, then I'm sure somebody will still be producing them.

What I would be looking at in terms of deciding between an R and a TDI would be, how long the average trips are and if the AWD traction would be better. My TDI now, has been great in helping me commute between cities for school, but I don't really enjoy it for winter driving up here, as we get lots of snow and for a significant portion of the year. An R would be much more suited to short trips around town, especially in the winter season.

Velocity111

TDI
2015 VW Golf TDI
Rob - good points about Europe production and parts availability.

I live in NY but work for a company in MI, so once a month I drive over. Its a 7.5 hr drive, so the diesel is great on both power and gas. Never had any issues driving in the snow, has a set on blizzaxx for the car and it drove in the snow like a champ.

I'm thinking I'm going to stay with the TDI line, and since I had such good results with the Malone stage 2 tune and DSG flash my previous TDI had, will likely go down that route again - only more so.

Having read only a little about Malone's stage 4 set up, their new manifold, etc. where's a good source of info on their stage 4 kit? Surprisingly little on their site. I also contacted Buzzken - who did my last tune to see what I can find out from him. Thansk again for your input! much appreciated.

My_name_is_Rob

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 A4 Quattro
Sounds like a good choice. The TDI's are fun cars to drive.

I'm not sure about where to find much info on the stage 4 kit, besides maybe this site. I thought the stage 4 was basically a custom tune for whatever extra parts you had power wise.
You'll have to keep us updated on your progress. :)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
You won't have trouble getting parts. There may be fewer mods for '15s than earlier cars, but maybe not, as a lot of them are getting fed back into the market by VW, and they're pretty much being bought by enthusiasts.

The R is a very nice car. I love them. But I know that if I drove one I'd always fret about the fuel economy, feel like I couldn't use its potential on public roads, and I'd be concerned about taking it to the track because I can't afford to write off a $40K car if I wreck it. And I'd have the feeling haunting me that I spent $40K plus on a car that's essentially the same as the TDI I could by for less than half that.

Just my .02.

piotrsko

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf, 2000 F-250 (7.3)
they stopped making factory parts for model "T"s and aircooled bugs years ago, but you can conceivably build a new one out of parts any time

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
For a different perspective on this, I'm getting an R because I need a newer daily driver and I'm sick of FWD. Ya I could buy a GTI with diff or put an LSD in some other FWD VW like the Quiafe I had in my MK1 GTI, but I'd still be dealing with throttle on understeer and wheelspin. I want to try something else, so I'm going with a used R, APR stage 1 tune and a Haldex tune that transfers torque to the rear under braking. I'm not going to track it, so I'm not concerned with wadding it up. Whatever you choose, happy motoring!

nomadic

TDI
'15 Golf TDI S dsg
Well I have a '15 Golf TDI and a supercharged '15 Mustang GT w/634 RWHP. I would vote for the TDI. Having a fast car is fun but after awhile you get used to it and I can't use nearly all the power the Mustang has. I've been trying to sell the Mustang but I can't get what I want for it, so will probably end up keeping it as a 2nd fun car to drive here and there. I work from home so I don't drive much as it is. But I do loan out my VW to my relatives for 4.5 months per year for their extended visit nearby. So I do need a 2nd car.

But my vote is for the TDI. I paid $16,740 OTD for mine with <14K mi. IMO the Golf R is not worth double the price. Plus the TDI has good power as it is. I'll never modify mine, 100% stock.

Last edited:

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
^^^ nothing sounds as sexy as a Mustang GT. Golf R with tuned Haldex in snow/rain etc...is lots of fun, so for me it's worth the extra money for the grip.