In-Dash DVD Player

TurbineTech

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
Has anyone installed something like this ?

I think it would be really cool for long trips, but am not sure about compatability/ installation etc.

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
Plan on watching while driving?

Tell me when so I can be somewhere else. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

TurbineTech

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
Pinhead

The kids can watch while I drive, have you no brains?

Make a smartass comment, you get a smartass response.

lumberjackbob

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Getta
I think I have seen some A4 Jettas/Golfs with the in dash. Dont know anything about wiring issues. Fitment shouldnt be a problem is the player is a single DIN. Most aftermarket in-dash systems are the same dimensions as a regular tape/cd-player.

If you were looking to enterrain back seat drivers I would do the screen in the back side of the driver/passenger headrest. Of course it would cost more money, but I'm sure if you tried to do as much of the installation yourself it would be possible. At least that way you wouldnt find yourself enjoying a movie too /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
Alot of people have done this check over on the vortex audio section. On is really done well with the LCD mounted in the REAR of the front head rests.

fallingwindows

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen
Stealth TDI has a huge LCD that hangs on the back of the headrest and runs off the DVD player in his laptop....pretty cool

Cost for a laptop PC AND a separate LCD would still total less than one of these in-dash units, plus you can use them anywhere, not just in your car

The in-dash has a high gee-whiz factor, but it's a pretty small screen for $1500 plus, IMO. I don't really get the movie-in-the-car thing, (unless for kids), but I DO want to install a drop-down 18" LCD with surround sound in my VW camper when it's finished /images/graemlins/smile.gif

alex wetmore

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
[ QUOTE ]
TurbineTech said:
The kids can watch while I drive, have you no brains?

Make a smartass comment, you get a smartass response.

[/ QUOTE ]

Last time I checked it was illegal to have a video player showing videos in the front seat of a moving automobile in the US.

A driver with an in-dash DVD player almost mowed me down while I was bike commuting a few years ago. The police weren't there, so they didn't see his wreckless driving, but he was given a ticket for having a DVD player which operated while the engine was turned on.

alex

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
I drive Charter buses, Kids get on first thing they ask for is a movie,Don,t they teach kids how to read anymore. DOT law say control an unit cannot be where the driver can reach them. This does not apply to cars But them i have yet to see a bus where the controls were located where i could not get to them. I guess bus makers can,t read the rules.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Was looking at DVD players yesterday. For $300, you get a really nice DVD setup with 7 inch screen that plugs into ghe cigarette lighter. Hangs from the headrest. Comes with one headset, but a splitter and extra headset would be cheap from Radio Shack.

jxpfeer

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Silver Jetta GLS, lux
check the local laws... here in MA there's laws against video in the front seat as well.

even if the kids are watching the movie, it can still be pretty distracting...

you might be better off getting one of those portable dvd players with a car adapter... much cheaper, same effect, probably a bit safer

good luck man !

MrPolak

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 New Beetle TDI
I have a laptop which allows my children to watch DVDs while traveling. I use an inverter to help battery life.

There, now you have an excuse to get a new cool shiny laptop instead!

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
I think the comment is appropriate. In MA, it's illegal to have something hanging from the rearview mirror--gf's necklace, graduation tassles, air-freshener. I think handheld cell phones should be made illegal in every state. Yesterday during the snowstorm, I saw a teenage driver-I won't mention whether she was male or female-driving a Neon, front wheels spinning, pulling out of a convenience store, talking on a cell phone.

NY has the right idea. Hopefully other states will follow suit.

fallingwindows

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen
[ QUOTE ]
I won't mention whether she was male or female

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Banning cell phones while driving is treating a symptom - not the problem.

If you REALLY want to do something about inattentive drivers, you need to put the driver in a sound-proof booth, with no radio, no mirror for applying makeup, etc. - or else put the penalties for getting caught engaging in those activities severely high - i.e. you cause a wreck while talking on your cellphone - you get a big fine.

TheLongshot

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon '03 Reflex Silver
[ QUOTE ]
In MA, it's illegal to have something hanging from the rearview mirror

[/ QUOTE ]

It is also true in PA. I never understood that one...

Jason

beamer

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS Silver
I purchased a system that has 2 6" monitors and mounting brackets for the headrests, a DVD player that fits nice and snug between the seats on the armrest and allows the use of the armrest still in the front half that I use anyways. It works great, especially with the cordless headphones. Then I can still listen to my stereo as desired and they have thier entertainment. I just fade the music up front to help not drown out thier sound.