CP3 fuel pump upgrade thread

sauron18

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI DSG
Finally have my CP3 from Matt Withbread/United Diesel. The cp3 looks so good and seems brand new. Hopefully this will solve the limp mode because the p0087 code. Want to enjoy my cjaa with Xman cr170 & 4 bar map sensor.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Finally have my CP3 from Matt Withbread/United Diesel. The cp3 looks so good and seems brand new. Hopefully this will solve the limp mode because the p0087 code. Want to enjoy my cjaa with Xman cr170 & 4 bar map sensor.
sweet! Keep us posted! Take pics of your new cp3 if you dont mind?

coolusername

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
I have had 3 done but I didn't do much science before and after. All 3 ran for a full day or two before I applied the tune.
So I'm interested in a CP3 conversion, does the car run fine enough on the stock tune w/ CP3? No CELs / emissions issues? Does it fit with all emissions components intact? Where I live custom tuning is frowned upon at smog check time, so my thought is to flash the car back to stock every two years, and so I'm wondering if that would run fine, even if it's not how I'd get the most performance out of the fuel pump.

Tuheeden

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 & 2014 Jetta sportwagon
So I'm interested in a CP3 conversion, does the car run fine enough on the stock tune w/ CP3? No CELs / emissions issues? Does it fit with all emissions components intact? Where I live custom tuning is frowned upon at smog check time, so my thought is to flash the car back to stock every two years, and so I'm wondering if that would run fine, even if it's not how I'd get the most performance out of the fuel pump.
YES - your car will run fine without a tune with a CP3. And honestly it looks completely stock so it will pass the visual with no issues. It's really just a better fuel pump that won't explode. It's a great upgrade simply for the longevity.

sauron18

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI DSG
Yes it will run fine with stock tune or tuned for cp4. You only need to get a cp3 with the correct metering valve.

coolusername

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes it will run fine with stock tune or tuned for cp4. You only need to get a cp3 with the correct metering valve.
Does the Whitebread Performance kit come with the correct metering valve? Does XMan's kit? If neither of those kits come with the proper part, what's the part number and where can I buy it?

sauron18

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI DSG
Does the Whitebread Performance kit come with the correct metering valve? Does XMan's kit? If neither of those kits come with the proper part, what's the part number and where can I buy it?
I uploaded photos of my Whitbread cp3 kit here which is a United Diesel cp3. Look the posts above yours. Don't get the Xman cp3 it have had some failures lately to some people. Wanted to get the Xman but choose to spend more and be more safe.

Razvan88

TDI
CBAB
Hello everyone, can this kit also be fitted to engine code CFFD? I mention that it has only one pump (only the one in the tank), which brings a pressure of 4.5 bars. Can it be mounted without software modification? Thanks

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Hello everyone, can this kit also be fitted to engine code CFFD? I mention that it has only one pump (only the one in the tank), which brings a pressure of 4.5 bars. Can it be mounted without software modification? Thanks
The kits we are talking about is specific for cjaa.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Yes, I'm fairly certain it should fit all of the 2L EA189 family of TDIs. The member here, Macradiators, would probably be the person to contact for more detailed info on euro applications.

Tuheeden

Veteran Member
TDI
The Whitbread kit DOES come with the correct metering valve (I have 3 of them). And YES the intermediate fuel pump MUST be removed but it does not trigger any codes. The hardest part of the whole job is bending the fuel line elegantly

sauron18

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI DSG
no, I still am on my stock one but I replaced FMV to match my engine’s needs.

FMV is 928 400 643
I asked Malone about the 2200 bar here is what they told me The 2200 bar sensor will allow for higher rail pressure and reduced EGT's. I've done this a few times and it works well. I decided to install it in my build because lower or reduced EGT is always better. Later will add a Snow Performance methanol system. Someone with a smiliar setup told me you can tune for the stock fuel rail pressure sensor and install the 2200 bar and the car will make more smoke after 3k rpm in WOT if someone wants that but will not have the benefits of tuning for the 2200 bar.

Last edited:

Tuheeden

Veteran Member
TDI
Has anyone tried the 2700mb sensor from Darkside? Malone said they could tune it or the 2200 but I have not seen any feedback on it. This is the only mod I have not experimented with but figured lower EGT and possibe improvement in mpg makes me want to try both!

coolusername

Veteran Member
TDI
Has anyone tried the 2700mb sensor from Darkside? Malone said they could tune it or the 2200 but I have not seen any feedback on it. This is the only mod I have not experimented with but figured lower EGT and possibe improvement in mpg makes me want to try both!
I'm actually looking for a good explainer on what the appeal of a 2200 bar sensor is. I've seen one or two nebulous claims that it improves EGT, but I can't find the reasoning. Would you happen to know what the appeal is? If it's worth it I'll definitely get one.

Second question: Between Whitbread and Darkside, which CP3 pump kit is the better option? They seem to be around the same price. I've heard a lot of good things on here about Whitbread but nothing about Darkside's kit.

Tuheeden

Veteran Member
TDI
Here is a pretty good outline.

Looks like 5 to 10 bhp but they don't recommend it until after upgraded turbo & CP3

I have never used a Darkside CP3 but Whitbread/United Diesel work great.

Malone also told me to go with the 2200 bar but I am still using stock turbo.

sauron18

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI DSG
I'm actually looking for a good explainer on what the appeal of a 2200 bar sensor is. I've seen one or two nebulous claims that it improves EGT, but I can't find the reasoning. Would you happen to know what the appeal is? If it's worth it I'll definitely get one.

Second question: Between Whitbread and Darkside, which CP3 pump kit is the better option? They seem to be around the same price. I've heard a lot of good things on here about Whitbread but nothing about Darkside's kit.
Look for my post above yours that's what Malone told me about the 2200 bar sensor.
Here is a pretty good outline.

Looks like 5 to 10 bhp but they don't recommend it until after upgraded turbo & CP3

I have never used a Darkside CP3 but Whitbread/United Diesel work great.

Malone also told me to go with the 2200 bar but I am still using stock turbo.
Me too. Malone told me to go with the 2200 bar sensor with the cp3. I installed the cp3 and the 2200 bar sensor this weekend and the car is better in everyway. Everything is better, what a difference. The most important thing is that the car dosen't go into limp mode anymore when i go full throttle with the Xman cr170. The engine turns on faster, acceleration is smoother & more instantaneous, driving at slow speed it feels smoother and less effort to move, the MFD show higher mpg's but will do a hand calc and drive the car more to see if the mpg are improved. Now i see why after a tune and delete the most important thing to do in the cjaa/cbea is installing a cp3.

Last edited:

T1MMBOJONES

Veteran Member
TDI
03 ALH 01M wagon
im also quite interested in doing a cp3 swap to my 2013 jsw. im due for a tb/wp job soon,by age not mileage and i happen to have an old cp3 pump in the garage that needs rebuilt. i live near Huckstorf Diesel of whom specialize in diesel injection pump rebuilds. they did a set of injectors in my van and i trust their work. anyone know if a cp3 off an 03 LB7 duramax would work? if its rebuildable for less than the difference in the whitebread kits without the pump vs with its almost dumb not to do it....

Tuheeden

Veteran Member
TDI
im also quite interested in doing a cp3 swap to my 2013 jsw. im due for a tb/wp job soon,by age not mileage and i happen to have an old cp3 pump in the garage that needs rebuilt. i live near Huckstorf Diesel of whom specialize in diesel injection pump rebuilds. they did a set of injectors in my van and i trust their work. anyone know if a cp3 off an 03 LB7 duramax would work? if its rebuildable for less than the difference in the whitebread kits without the pump vs with its almost dumb not to do it....
I don't know about the pump but the Whitbread kit has a specific bolt pattern for a specific pump so check that out first. You need an adapter and a new gear. That kit is like $300 so it might be worth getting that and make sure everything fits before you rebuild the pump.

Bradm

Veteran Member
TDI
02,03,05, Jetta 99.5 Golf
I think if you read far enough back it’s explained why the d max cp3’s wont work, if I remember right the pumps are closest to or are the same as CR jeep liberty’s
I thought huckstorf sent their pumps out? or they used to i have a alh they replaced the pump on in 16 and they were sending them out then.obviously that was a while ago though