Is this the real deal Vag , VCDS cable ?

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
This one isn't genuine but might be worth to try for that low price.

If you want a genuine one, search for a used one. People sell them sometimes. Buying a new one is a real steal as it's overpriced. Turning the seatbelt chime off and clearing a few DTCs will cost you tens of dollars if you divide the price by mods :D

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Chinese knock-off. Don't waste your money.

It is pretty simple. If you want a cable that has full VCDS capability, buy a VCDS cable.

If you want just OBD2 capabilities, buy an ELM 327 Bluetooth OBD2 adapter for as cheap as $14 and use it with Torque and your Droid smart phone.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
If a cable has a version number written on it, it is an illegal hack job. They have cracked Ross-Tech's program to make it work. This cable might work with the included hacked software but you will not be able to update to newer software when it is released. This cable comes with version 11.3 and 11.4 has been out for quite a while. Version 12.10 ia already available as a Beta test version and therefore version 12.? will be released soon.

Do not support thieves - buy the real thing. $250 (or $350) is really extremely cheap considering what this program can do. The only real alternative to VCDS is VW's own scan tool which costs about $8,000.

Have Fun!

Don

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
We appreciate you asking before buying. As stated many times on this forum, VCDS is actually cheap and will pay for itself in spades.

Authentic Ross-Tech cables come with a serial number, which you can validate with Ross-Tech. The fact that you found one for $26 with a cheesy software disc pictured next to it screams knockoff. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

If I owned a company employing multiple talented folks who produce a valuable and high quality product, I'd be pissed to no end to see knockoffs with my web site printed on it. [/rant]

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
As indicated all this info you get for free is supported by members and vendors.

The TDIFest and donations helps keep this site free. If you like hte np pop ups like other forums please support the forums by buying from our vendors.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
As stated many times on this forum, VCDS is actually cheap and will pay for itself in spades.
I bought the genuine one for big $ and it hasn't payed for itself. Seriously, turning off the seatbelt chime and making the doors autolock/unlock is somewhat a buddy can do for beer.

Yes, no doubt it will pay for itself when it is being used for commercial use, e.g. in a shop or a garage. But I'd strongly suggest looking for used interface cables before spending money on a new one. Software can be downloaded and upgraded while the interface cable is the same as sold from the Ross-Tech but with some light/cosmetic wear on it. For me that wouldn't matter. Note, I'm talking about the genuine interface here, NOT something from China or other sources. Just my 2 cents.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I bought the genuine one for big $ and it hasn't payed for itself. Seriously, turning off the seatbelt chime and making the doors autolock/unlock is somewhat a buddy can do for beer.

Yes, no doubt it will pay for itself when it is being used for commercial use, e.g. in a shop or a garage.

I do not have a commercial use and I am not a shop, but my VCDS (HEX+CAN) has easily paid for itself. No only for the changes and fault finding/clearing on my own car but also for others. I am listed on the Vag-Com locator lists and I have helped many other VW and Audi owners. I do not ask for any fee, but most people offer to pay me for my time. I have received as little as $5 and as much as $40 for doing simple coding changes. My cable was completely "paid for" within about a year and a half. Now I essentially have a free cable and I still use it regularly. I believe this was one of my smartest investments as a VW owner. I firmly believe that every VW owner should either own VCDS or have a friend nearby who does own it.

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. Not only is the Ross-Tech product excellent, but so is their after-the-sale support. Email and forum support (both here and the Vortex) is excellent. I once sent an email asking a question after working hours (on a Sunday) and I received a thorough reply from the owner of the company (Uwe) on a Sunday afternoon. I don't know of many companies who would offer this kind of support.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So you're the buddy with beer :D
I also have the VCDS and quite happy with it. Luckily, I don't experience malfunctions so I don't need to clear the fault codes as often :)

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta

Yes, no doubt it will pay for itself when it is being used for commercial use, e.g. in a shop or a garage. But I'd strongly suggest looking for used interface cables before spending money on a new one. Software can be downloaded and upgraded while the interface cable is the same as sold from the Ross-Tech but with some light/cosmetic wear on it. For me that wouldn't matter. Note, I'm talking about the genuine interface here, NOT something from China or other sources. Just my 2 cents.
You probably don't understand what VCDS actually does. If you go to use it with Zero understanding of what it does, than you will get zero understanding of it's capabilities. You might do better with a generic OBD2 scanner.

chudzikb

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta 03 Golf 2 door
Hands down, best tool I EVER bought for working on ANY car. Part of the reason still in VW's is VCSD. It's just that good...

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You probably don't understand what VCDS actually does. If you go to use it with Zero understanding of what it does, than you will get zero understanding of it's capabilities. You might do better with a generic OBD2 scanner.
So and what it actually does apart reading/clearing faults, changing module coding, making adaptations in channels, reading/logging/graphing different values? I'm proud I'm the only one who uses it with Zero understanding.

cobra390t

Veteran Member
TDI
06 VW Jetta BRM 5SPD ,2005 Passat TDI Wagon( SOLD ), 05 Mk4 Golf BEW , 04 MK4 Golf BEW , MPG Who cares It's a Diesel
Hands down, best tool I EVER bought for working on ANY car. Part of the reason still in VW's is VCSD. It's just that good...
To bad am no longer in the Lancaster area or i would asked for VCSD favor for a 6 pack :D. I was just there this past thanksgiving

cobra390t

Veteran Member
TDI
06 VW Jetta BRM 5SPD ,2005 Passat TDI Wagon( SOLD ), 05 Mk4 Golf BEW , 04 MK4 Golf BEW , MPG Who cares It's a Diesel
We appreciate you asking before buying. As stated many times on this forum, VCDS is actually cheap and will pay for itself in spades.

Authentic Ross-Tech cables come with a serial number, which you can validate with Ross-Tech. The fact that you found one for $26 with a cheesy software disc pictured next to it screams knockoff. Sometimes you get what you pay for.
. [/rant]
Indeed the Authentic Ross-Tech cable is the way I'll go , $249 w Licensed software and tech support you can't go wrong Vs the Chinese mock cheep AZZ cable which i hate to support .

I'm a firm believer that you get what you pay for. Although being in the Software/ IT world it will only take few beers and free afternoon to get that Mocked up cable to run like a Ferrari but why bother with it . Going to save up for the good cable

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Henrick, I hope I don't sound like a jerk here, but it sounds like you would be a better candidate to sell your Cable and be the guy WITH the beer. :D

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
So and what it actually does apart reading/clearing faults, changing module coding, making adaptations in channels, reading/logging/graphing different values? I'm proud I'm the only one who uses it with Zero understanding.
And you don't see the significance of that? The VAS tool the dealers use that has similar capabilities cost something like $8000. You can't buy a tool for VW or any other car brands for anywhere near under $1000 with the same capabilities as VCDS.

On a digitally controlled car, troubleshooting without being able to communicate with the ECU, controllers and sensors becomes an exercise in blindly replacing parts.................

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
Methinks Henrick's point is that you don't need any of those functions on an ongoing basis- on one reliable car.

/it only pays for itself when you use it.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Methinks Henrick's point is that you don't need any of those functions on an ongoing basis- on one reliable car.

/it only pays for itself when you use it.
True.

Some people say they keep resetting "airbag" and "check engine" lights. I've never seen a CEL or an Airbag light go on when everything is okay (neither my personal cars nor company cars I use for work). Usually there's a real reason why the light is on and it needs a real fix, not just clearing a fault. E.g. Passat B6 (3C) has got some connector problems under the driver seat and the contacts get loose over time. You need to eliminate the connector. AFAIK this is one of the TSBs at the dealership.

Again, VCDS (the cable and the software) are really great. No arguing here. What I was trying to say in my first post was that if a person seeks for a VCDS , why not to look for a genuine but used one? It will still have 100% functionality for 50% or so of retail price.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
True.

Some people say they keep resetting "airbag" and "check engine" lights. I've never seen a CEL or an Airbag light go on when everything is okay (neither my personal cars nor company cars I use for work). Usually there's a real reason why the light is on and it needs a real fix, not just clearing a fault. E.g. Passat B6 (3C) has got some connector problems under the driver seat and the contacts get loose over time. You need to eliminate the connector. AFAIK this is one of the TSBs at the dealership.

Again, VCDS (the cable and the software) are really great. No arguing here. What I was trying to say in my first post was that if a person seeks for a VCDS , why not to look for a genuine but used one? It will still have 100% functionality for 50% or so of retail price.
Your experience with the CEL is the perfect example of why you may be better off being the guy with the beer. You have a more solid car than others and rarely need to clear codes and such.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
Irish Whiskey???

Or you could just buy me a plane ticket and I'll bring mine over to let you use it, no beer required.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I use my VCDS all the time to fine tune the car and diagnose what is happening to fine tune it. It will tell you a lot if you know how to read the results it records. If not, it can seem like an expensive code reader, but it's so much more than that. I liked mine so much, I upgraded to the CAN version.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Strange but I've never needed to fine-tune the car. Exceptions were autolocking doors, teardrop wipe, some other mods and cam timing on my previous PD. On my current CR I needed VCDS to enable footwell lights and also to change some bytes in Centr. Electr. for my convenience. Will need it at the moment when I'll be changing fuel filter.

Sadly, you can't reduce EGR cycles on these engines.

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
Let's start with something not so obvious to everyone... The VW TDI is an expensive and complicated vehicle selling for what might be considered a bargain price. This isn't to imply cheap, just to say that there's a whole lot more wrapped up in these vehicles than meets the eye of the average consumer.

Once an owner of one of these vehicles there come maintenance choices. Some of us choose the dealer. Others a local "expert". (There is no such thing as an expert!) A few of us choose to twist our own wrenches. And, of course, there are those who choose to reset the warnings and continue blindly onward confident that good luck will prevail, or just totally ignore the obvious.

Those who choose a dealer must be prepared to have deep pockets and the patience of Job. Of dealers I'll say nothing more as there are both good and bad.

Local shops and "experts"? Some have good reputations. Others don't. My younger son learned the hard way about those who don't.

Those who ignore? What can I say? Somehow it doesn't make any sense that in owning a vehicle which has vastly more computer power than the moon lander one would choose to ignore or erase warnings.

And those of us who choose to do our own service? Generally we take pride in the maintenance level of our vehicles. We don't expect warning lights. And when they sometimes appear we tend to diagnose and repair the cause. We always seem to need to know the reason.

Which brings me to a couple of points... To properly diagnose and repair a diesel powered computer disguised as a car it's necessary to communicate. The better the communication the better chance of discovery and a painless repair. That's why VagCom is necessary for some of us. The less we have to use VagCom the more we appreciate it's price. This makes perfect sense to a few of us. To others it's a mystery.

My other point is that a good number of owners consider our VW's an exceptionally long-lived vehicle. I'll be the first to admit that both my A4 and now my A5 exhibit some unexpectedly high quality components, I sincerely doubt though that this is the reason we expect our vehicles to live a long life. I'm more inclined to think that the combination of a sometimes annoyingly controlling computer combined with somewhat compulsively fanatic owners is more the reason.

I climb into a six year old vehicle that has 150k miles on the clock as I write. It still looks and feels almost new. And while I realize that a warning light could come on, I don't expect it to. Further, I fully expect that if I needed to drive to the far corners of this nation today I could expect a trouble free trip. The reason being that I know the vehicle. I know what's been done to it and I know it's regular needs. Obviously this doesn't preclude the unexpected, but the unexpected happens on any vehicle. Even brand new ones.

So... Go cheap and band-aide a potential problem because you'll never be able to actually determine the root cause or go somewhat more expensive and be able to equal or surpass the ability of a dealership? For me there's not much to decide. I have a feeling I'm in good company here.