www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old December 7th, 2008, 12:30   #31
DoctorDawg
Veteran Member

I've never actually seen the filter element of an automotive diesel fuel filter before. All my other rides had spin-on filters. So I don't have a lot of experience here to draw on. Like I say, it was dirty but not cr@ppy. I try to stick with good fuel from good stations, so 'dirty but not cr@ppy' would be about what I would expect after 8K miles.

At first I was a little bewildered that VW doesn't use a spin-on filter, but now I really like the idea of being able to put an eyeball on the filter element during a change. You can never be too rich or have too much information about what's going on under your hood.
2009 Jetta TDI (Loyal Edition, Campi White, DSG, #1470, built 5/08): 56K miles and zero problems 1/16/2011.
WeatherTech deflectors, Dieselgeek skid plate (both A+)
My other diesel gets 120 MPG (minutes per gallon): Kubota 2630 w/ FEL
My other other diesel I don't even want to talk about (1995 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 4x4)
DoctorDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2008, 17:57   #32
DoctorDawg
Veteran Member

I gotta tell ya, J -- I think yer beatin' a dead horse.

(But thanks for the appreciation of my work!)
2009 Jetta TDI (Loyal Edition, Campi White, DSG, #1470, built 5/08): 56K miles and zero problems 1/16/2011.
My other other diesel I don't even want to talk about (1995 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 4x4)
Old December 10th, 2008, 20:57   #33
darrenf
Veteran Member

I bet if we posted some binary we would get the mods attention.

-darren
darrenf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2008, 09:45   #34
whitedog
Veteran Member

Have you used the button to go directly to a moderator?
Old December 17th, 2008, 17:24   #35
DoctorDawg
Veteran Member

Just added a FAQ #16, prompted by a PM from a new member: "how do I remove the plastic cowl from the engine?" That prompted me to recall that we've seen this question several times. In fact, I think I was the first newbie to ask it! My understanding is that the '09 (with its snap fittings) differs from previous TDIs in this regard(?), in which case its legitimately an '09-specific issue.

Last edited by DoctorDawg; December 17th, 2008 at 17:31.
Old December 17th, 2008, 19:44   #36
airwolf
Veteran Member

TDI(s): None

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorDawg
Just added a FAQ #16, prompted by a PM from a new member: "how do I remove the plastic cowl from the engine?" That prompted me to recall that we've seen this question several times. In fact, I think I was the first newbie to ask it! My understanding is that the '09 (with its snap fittings) differs from previous TDIs in this regard(?), in which case its legitimately an '09-specific issue.
*shrugs* My 06 R&R the same way. After a while they things they snap in will wear some and it will remove a lot easier.

2014 F-150 AKA-Ruby

TDIFest2009 Organizer! | TDIFest2012 Organizer!
airwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2009, 17:16   #37
dr.zed
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdieseltruck
This may be common knowledge or not, but how well does the factory fuel filter in this new CRD 2.0L filter particles down to?

This has been a big problem with the 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Common Rail systems. Dodge used a 10 micron at first and people were getting failing injectors with bad batches of fuel, then they switched to using 7 micron filters. Being that I want to keep my high pressure pump, rail, and injectors as clean and particle free as possible, I also run an aux. 2 micron filter after the 7 micron stock one.

I hope that VW takes filtering on a high pressure common rail system seriously. Small particles 5-10microns in size can cause serious damage when fired at 20-29,000psi through modern injectors over time. I also don't want to leave the fate of my engine in the hands of the fuel distributors and gas stations, with their sometimes sub-par filtering. It is the same problem experienced in any high pressure hydraulic system.

Does anyone know about the new fuel filters on this new engine?

Thanks,

Chris
A lot of the cummins had a "pull" style electric fuel pump in the engine bay. It would start to get weak or fail altogether and the injector pump would have the sole job of transferring fuel. Many times you couldn't tell until it was too late and your injector pump died.

Dodge supplied a revised kit to put the transfer pump close to the tank as it was more effective and lasted longer as a "push" pump. Unfortunately many transfer and injector pumps were lost this way.
dr.zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2009, 15:31   #38
HyperDrive

TDI(s): 2009 Jetta
Default New '09 Jetta TDI Questions

Greetings!

I am the proud new owner of an '09 Jetta TDI for about two weeks now. I've been lurking around soaking up all this great info about my new car and following DBW's break in procedure. At this point (1200 miles on the car) I have a few questions:

1. What exactly does the turbo sound like? I have no doubt that it is working, as the car has plenty of get up and go . I hear folks talking about a whining sound, like I hear with my uncle's F-250 turbo-diesel. It's very audible and unmistakable. I hear no such sound from my Jetta TDI. There is a slight sound of something turning on ball bearings or something (like spinning the wheels on a skateboard or something) when accelerating, but I have to really listen for it. Maybe I just don't know what to listen for.

2. What's with the daytime running lights? Are they supposed to be the low beam headlights? The low beams come on automatically when I crank up the motor, then when I turn on the head light switch, a set of dim lights in the same pod as the hi-beams at the 2 O'clock (passenger side) and 10 O'clock (driver side) come on. Seems to me it should be the other way around.

Sorry if these questions seem kinda dumb. Just never owned a car with turbo or DRLs.

Ken
HyperDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2009, 15:38   #39
airwolf
Veteran Member

TDI(s): None

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperDrive
Greetings!

2. What's with the daytime running lights? Are they supposed to be the low beam headlights? The low beams come on automatically when I crank up the motor, then when I turn on the head light switch, a set of dim lights in the same pod as the hi-beams at the 2 O'clock (passenger side) and 10 O'clock (driver side) come on. Seems to me it should be the other way around.

Ken
Your DRL's are working how VW intended them to. Different car manufactures use different setups for DRL's

2014 F-150 AKA-Ruby

TDIFest2009 Organizer! | TDIFest2012 Organizer!
airwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2009, 16:00   #40
Devoid

Great FAQ, answered some of my main concerns

I'm surprised to read the part about the max bio-diesel rating, the lowest mixture I have seen around my area is B15 and even the dealership I bought the car from filled it up at a B15 gas station.
Do you think this might be high enough to effect my warranty?
Devoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2009, 19:46   #41
MBoni
Veteran Member

Cool

Quote:
Yea, the DRLs are just the low beam headlights, but they are running at something like 80% normal power. You probably can't notice the decrease in brightness with your eyes, but the power reduction will increase the life of the bulb. The little tiny bulbs in the reflector of the high beam are your 'city lights', also known as parking lights or position indicators. If you get a Euroswitch and disable the DRLs in the computer, it becomes possible to turn on just the parking lights. The parking lights also stay on if you turn off the car with the headlights switched on.
Old January 27th, 2009, 20:49   #42
HyperDrive

Thanks guys for the replies. I think I'm beginning to see the light.

MBoni, I noticed you have OEM fog lights on your JSW. As far as I know, they are not offered with the Jetta Sedan. Any reason that you know of that they can't be retrofitted to the sedan? Are the two not the same vehicle in the front half? Would love to have a set!
Old January 27th, 2009, 20:53   #43
tomo366
TDI Lifer

Quote:
Thanks guys for the replies. I think I'm beginning to see the light.

MBoni, I noticed you have OEM fog lights on your JSW. As far as I know, they are not offered with the Jetta Sedan. Any reason that you know of that they can't be retrofitted to the sedan? Are the two not the same vehicle in the front half? Would love to have a set!
It is the same kit
can be purchased here http://www.worldimpex.com/parts/genu...it_852692.html
you will need a Headlight switch also
2015 Jetta TDI SEL Tornado red
2014 BMW 328D XDrive Glacier Silver
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black!
tomo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2009, 17:44   #44
DoctorDawg
Veteran Member

FYI, I've just updated the FAQ to:

a) correct my previous lack of deep understanding about fuel heating (Q5)
b) add a Q17 regarding The Silence Of The Turbo
Old January 28th, 2009, 19:21   #45
HyperDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorDawg
17. Q: Hey, I can't hear my turbo! What's up with that?
A: What's that you say? I couldn't hear you over the awesome scream of my turbo. No, actually, most of us can't hear our '09 turbos; they're scary-quiet...and those of us with long turbodiesel experience in other vehicles kinda miss it. But it's one heckuva turbo anyways (puts out 22 PSI, stock), and it sure gets the job done. Think of it as the strong, silent type.
Thanks Doc, works for me!