www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old September 28th, 2018, 08:25   #31
RabbitGTI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Don't know. I just feed it and drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sptsailing View Post
It sounds to me like the lock mechanism failed similar to a failure in my 06 Jetta. I had to buy a new one and switch it out. My guess is that you will need to do that as well, but don't worry about having to have keys reprogrammed, as there is nothing in the mechanism you need to replace that requires it. There exists good write ups about how to replace the lock, with the biggest problem being getting two bolts loose that were intentionally designed to make them quite difficult to remove.

Key will only come out 2/3 of the way and then it is stuck. Don't want to force the issue because the car is drivable as is. I thought the lock mechanism was the tumbler assembly. Dealer says $111 to get one programmed and shipped from Germany and $150 to put it in. I've done ignition switches and lock cylinders in B4 and B3 cars, but not a newer electronic one. What part did you buy to solve this problem? Thanks!
Old September 28th, 2018, 10:00   #32
sptsailing
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 44 typical, 38 minimum, but as high as 50

I had to replace the Steering Column Lock, part number 1K0905841, which is a royal pain to get out. I don't recall all the details, but there is an easier way to get it out than I did, but it involves destroying yet a different part that will also need to then be replaced. The easier way is what the VW mechanics will do, and charge handsomely for it as well.

Here is a great post about these locks:
https://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/i...n-vw-and-audi/
sptsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2018, 11:29   #33
RabbitGTI
Veteran Member

^^^ thanks. I don't think my problem is the steering wheel lock/housing, but the key is stuck in the lock cylinder/immobilizer assembly. I think I'll have them order one and let them do it. I have temporary mechanic burnout.
Old September 28th, 2018, 12:47   #34
sptsailing
Veteran Member

When my steering column lock failed, the symptom was that I could not remove the key from the tumbler.
Old September 28th, 2018, 14:56   #35
RabbitGTI
Veteran Member

I misunderstood. Did the key come out part way?
Old September 28th, 2018, 16:05   #36
sptsailing
Veteran Member

I had to review my photos and notes, as I did this in August of 2017, having had to buy the steering column lock and special bolts at the local VW dealer for a total of $178. The symptoms were the key could not come out because the steering lock mechanism has a failure prone design that results in a broken piece jamming such that one cannot return it all the way to a locked position, which is necessary to be able to remove the key. I don't remember if it came out part way or not, but I think it did not. The actual tumbler and immobilizer sensor easily comes out as a separate part from the steering lock component, but is most likely not the actual problem at all.

If you have temporary mechanic burnout, by all means have an experienced VW savvy mechanic do this pain in the ass job, as it is definitely a non-trivial exercise. Review the myturbodiesel link I posted previously to see what is involved.
Old September 28th, 2018, 20:09   #37
sptsailing
Veteran Member

I found another helpful VW lock video that probably pertains:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nykkay9TuIw
Old October 3rd, 2018, 05:49   #38
RabbitGTI
Veteran Member

Update. Having an independent VW shop replace the tumbler, housing and switch for $450. Not enough time to do it myself right now and I decided that while it's opened up, replace everything. Thanks for your help.