www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General Automotive

General Automotive General automotive discussion. This is intended to be a discussion about other not VW and Diesel cars you may have or interested in.

Old September 21st, 2018, 03:47   #1
jason_
Veteran Member

Default Proper battery jump

Now, I've always jumped the dead vehicle grounded through the block, but with a battery monitor module present, jumper or jumped vehicle, vw or not, is there a difference? If yes, explanation?

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk
jason_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2018, 05:32   #2
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

I don't allow my cars' batteries to die. But I obviously have to jump start a lot of stuff that gets towed in here, and I always go straight to the battery posts OR the specified jump start points on cars with remote/buried/limited battery access. The only exception is the Prius, where we just jump under the hood at the fuse junction box since it is low load anyway.

Honestly, though, jump starting really should be a last resort, because the car's charging system is NOT intended to recharge a dead battery, let alone one that may have an issue that will not allow it to take a charge in the first place. Better to put a dedicated charger on the battery and let it charge for a while (overnight if possible) in cases where the battery is likely OK but was discharged because something was left on or the vehicle sat for a really long time. If the battery is likely shot, like it suddenly died (usually happens in the heat) with little or no warning, or it is really old (depends on the car, the area, etc.) then just get a new one and save your charging system the stress.
Old September 21st, 2018, 15:28   #3
jason_
Veteran Member

Oh, imagine those who try and start a vehicle with a stone dead battery, with jumpers still on...

Poor alternator....

I at the least pull one lead on the running vehicle so the charging system isn't taking the brute, just the batteries...

Old October 1st, 2018, 12:29   #4
Ol'Rattler
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_ View Post
Oh, imagine those who try and start a vehicle with a stone dead battery, with jumpers still on...

Poor alternator....

I at the least pull one lead on the running vehicle so the charging system isn't taking the brute, just the batteries...

Could you explain what lead you are referring to?

My inclination is to allow the dead car's battery to charge off of the running car at a slightly elevated idle for about 10 minutes and then turn off the running car prior to starting the dead car. I agree. An alternator is not designed to supply starting current. A quick Google search says that the average car needs about 400 Amps to start.
Draw-Tite hitch
Dash Tray
Blue tint aspherical mirrors
Euro Cupholder
Euro Light Switch
2nd grocery hook
VCDS Hacks: DRL Disabled-Seatbelt Chime Disabled-Key fob Power Windows
Adjusted Cam to Crank Timing

Last edited by Ol'Rattler; October 1st, 2018 at 12:35.
Ol'Rattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2018, 15:25   #5
jason_
Veteran Member

Any lead.

Idea is so the car in distress will try and start off its own battery, not the helping battery, it's charging system, or through the $5 cheap battery cable jumpers most people use.

And 400 amps is a good number, but not all starters out there have good brushes cleanly against the armature.

A garbage starter with bad or worn brushes is nothing more then an arc welder set on DC...1 battery or 100 hooked up.

Old October 1st, 2018, 23:00   #6
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

I carry and use a jump pack and not my vehicle battery.
Old October 1st, 2018, 23:19   #7
Ol'Rattler
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_ View Post
Any lead.

Idea is so the car in distress will try and start off its own battery, not the helping battery, it's charging system, or through the $5 cheap battery cable jumpers most people use.

And 400 amps is a good number, but not all starters out there have good brushes cleanly against the armature.

A garbage starter with bad or worn brushes is nothing more then an arc welder set on DC...1 battery or 100 hooked up.

That doesn't make any sense. If you disconnect the jumper cables, the dead car will be trying to start off of it's dead or almost dead battery. If you leave the jumper cables connected, the dead car will have both batteries for starting. If you turn off the engine on the jump car, the alternator is essentially taken out of the picture and can't be harmed.

Your method would work if you allowed the dead car to charge for about an hour off of the jump car.
Draw-Tite hitch
Dash Tray
Blue tint aspherical mirrors
Euro Cupholder
Euro Light Switch
2nd grocery hook
VCDS Hacks: DRL Disabled-Seatbelt Chime Disabled-Key fob Power Windows
Adjusted Cam to Crank Timing
Ol'Rattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2018, 04:48   #8
jason_
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol'Rattler View Post
That doesn't make any sense. If you disconnect the jumper cables, the dead car will be trying to start off of it's dead or almost dead battery. If you leave the jumper cables connected, the dead car will have both batteries for starting. If you turn off the engine on the jump car, the alternator is essentially taken out of the picture and can't be harmed.

Your method would work if you allowed the dead car to charge for about an hour off of the jump car.
Exactly.

My method is prevention.

No stranger on the side of the road is worthy to risk roaching my electrical system, or increasing the risk of getting me stranded, especially with kids in the car.

If their battery is that ****ty if 15mins of a good alternator charging it doesn't whirl the starter fast enough, then they can call a specialized service., or as suggested a jump pack.

Last edited by jason_; October 2nd, 2018 at 04:51.