RNS510 Firmware & Maps Info Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
Willy, you may lose some settings that your nav has, such as POI settings, or your home address. I did with mine, but it wasn't an issue. Just a couple of minutes to set it back up.

peteranton

TDI
Would love to!
SiriusXM Station Logos

Folks, I have the 510 (L) installed in a Golf, and for the life of me I can't get the logos for SiriusXM to appear. Anyone else have that issue?

When I installed the unit last year they were there, and then for no reason, the logos reverted to the generic SiriusXM logo. I got the 5378 firmware from the guy I purchased the unit from to reinstall hoping that would fix it, then after that no logos. Makes using the presets totally useless.

I have changed subscriptions, refreshed the signal, still nothing. When I try to set it back to the factory settings, it tells me that the factory setting are not loaded.

Any ideas???

Last edited:

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
There's a setting in the menu for them. When I flashed the latest firmware, that was one of the settings that was turned off and I had to re-enable it. Can't say exactly where in the settings it is, but it's there.

peteranton

TDI
Would love to!
There's a setting in the menu for them. When I flashed the latest firmware, that was one of the settings that was turned off and I had to re-enable it. Can't say exactly where in the settings it is, but it's there.
Wow, I've been all over that unit, many times going back to the same screens over and over (insanity?). There is nothing under setup>radio>the SXM choices. If you can think of the specific screen I may be missing, I would greatly appreciate it!

FreeWilly

TDI
2013 Passat
Upgraded to SW 4366 ! Noticeable improvement in response with Nav.
Needed to switch to 24 hour mode. Burnt unto HP DVD+R using Roxio.
Now on to the V8 map upgrade.

Thanks to Saragon1 , LokiWolf and all who have made contributions to this thread, much appreciated.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
Don't know which map I have, but I'm sure it's not V8. Is is only available for purchase, or can it be downloaded (legally, of course ;))

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
Wow, I've been all over that unit, many times going back to the same screens over and over (insanity?). There is nothing under setup>radio>the SXM choices. If you can think of the specific screen I may be missing, I would greatly appreciate it!
Well, I just looked over the menu options, and none of them look familiar :eek:. Try the one under radio/Show Radio Text.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks. I got my hands on 8112. Just have to get a dual layer DVD to burn it to. Won't fit on a single layer.

sauer1911

TDI
passat, golf, 2013's
Umm, not being much of a IT wiz, but I have a simple question on the firmware subject.

My 2013 Passat TDI SEL has the slowest system to boot up in my car. It is the fender sound system, with nav, et al.

I can start the car, wait, see the FENDER logo on the screen, hmmm.

I back out of the driveway, head down the street, and finally the radio loads, and then I get to see where I was driving with the rear view camera, then back to the Sat radio screen. Most of the time it is like this. Sometimes the radio stays loaded when I get in. Oh the Navi system is archaic. hello wazers!

Is there an upgrade to this system? I'm coming up on my 30k service.

Thanks
Chuck

herbert68

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium, 2010 Jetta TDI Sedan. Both bought back by VW on 12/06/2016
Umm, not being much of a IT wiz, but I have a simple question on the firmware subject.
My 2013 Passat TDI SEL has the slowest system to boot up in my car. It is the fender sound system, with nav, et al.
I back out of the driveway, head down the street, and finally the radio loads, and then I get to see where I was driving with the rear view camera, then back to the Sat radio screen. Most of the time it is like this. Sometimes the radio stays loaded when I get in. Oh the Navi system is archaic. hello wazers!
Thanks
Chuck
Great description Chuck, and it matches my experience exactly. Add to it that my iPod has a drained battery every other day. The dealer says the RNS510 "works as expected" ... go figure ...

Once the Pioneer Avic 8000NEX price is coming down a bit more I'm done with this ancient RNS head unit.

tdireader

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI

Thanks
Chuck
Upping the firmware on the 2013 SEL makes it more responsive but doesn't fix the problems. I don't think VW ever made the upgrade available to dealers.

Hopefully, I'll have the time someday to update to a kenwood w/ OEM integration.

Bayouboy81

TDI
2014 Passat SEL premium
So this is my info from my 2012 SEL premium. Trying searching for info. How do I find the software to upgrade. I bought the car certified, can I get the dealer to upgrade it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sauer1911

TDI
passat, golf, 2013's
That is too bad. This is the weakest link in the otherwise awesome car. Its not so much the Nav system as the slow boot up/startup of the whole system. I gave up on the Nav system. I use Waze on my iPhone.

Why would they let this go? its just crappy.:mad:

Last edited:

White Passat

Veteran Member
TDI
CPO 2013 Passat TDI SEL June 2012 build date Purchased 09/14/14
I use the R 510 nav function several times a day and it works quite well for me. Boot up is slow but the integration with my Blackberry and other features work well. The bigger screen is a plus compared the Garmin or phone screen I use for years.

White Passat

Veteran Member
TDI
CPO 2013 Passat TDI SEL June 2012 build date Purchased 09/14/14

sauer1911

TDI
passat, golf, 2013's
hmm, yeah. I dont really need a $129 map upgrade. I have free Waze.

I need a quicker loading system upgrade for the "Top of the Line SEL" system that I have.

HEY VOLKSWAGEN ARE YOU OUT THERE?? :mad::mad::mad:

I would expect them to jump in sometime. I have been to the testing facility next to the Phoenix Raceway, it is awesome!

I really cant believe they would let this slide.

Cfidave

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
A 3680 unit can be upgraded to Firmware 4366... but no dealers offer it... you can do it easily with a CD yourself though... i did
You can get 4366 firmware and 8M maps on the auction site. I was able to upgrade my 2012 TDI SEL successfully, had the same previous software and maps that you have.It does help with the responsivness and general operation of the 510. I have no problems with nav, fairly quick, and the MDI ( IPOD ) interface works just as it should.

Last edited:

herbert68

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium, 2010 Jetta TDI Sedan. Both bought back by VW on 12/06/2016
You can get 4366 firmware and 8M maps on the auction site. I was able to upgrade my 2012 TDI SEL successfully, had the same previous software and maps that you have.It does help with the responsivness and general operation of the 510. I have no problems with nav, fairly quick, and the MDI ( IPOD ) interface works just as it should.
I'm glad all is working for you. My MDI drains the 5th gen iPod every other day without fail.

Is there a software update for this MDI component out there? I have a file called mdi.bin.en with a date of 1/21/14, but it doesn't load when I connect the USB stick. I have done this procedure successfully several times in my 2010 Jetta TDI and there the same iPod works as it should.

I hope somebody here knows how to resolve this iPod battery drain issue, I'm at the end of my patience, especially when I hear from the dealer that everything "works as expected". Really?

herbert68

Veteran Member
TDI
I hope somebody here knows how to resolve this iPod battery drain issue, I'm at the end of my patience, especially when I hear from the dealer that everything "works as expected". Really?
I'm also actively investigating replacing the RNS-510 with a Pioneer Avic-8000NEX, as Mr. Furious has described here, also to get Apple car Play. But at a current price of about $950 for the head unit, plus about $500 more for OEM integration items needed, plus installation - this can easily set me back at $1,600 or more.

mattfrayage

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat NMS TDI SEL Premium
IF you are desperate you could upgrade your MDI interface module...
current version is: 5N0035342G SW-750 HW-19
Our 13 passat has a 5N0035342F SW-530 HW-18

sauer1911

TDI
passat, golf, 2013's
I would never be desperate about something like this, but I am frustrated at not being able to move this problem out of the POS file!:D

herbert68

Veteran Member
TDI
IF you are desperate you could upgrade your MDI interface module...
current version is: 5N0035342G SW-750 HW-19
Our 13 passat has a 5N0035342F SW-530 HW-18
Interesting thought, thank you. Where would I look for that part?

herbert68

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you, I 'll check it out. Pretty expensive stuff for a simple iPod interface...

BigWorm

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Question for the RNS-510 guru's. Does the deck play music files from a USB stick if I buy the MDI to USB cable??

Is there a way to read and respond to text messages from the deck?

Status
Not open for further replies.